Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I'm sure we're all aware, we ENTJs are a very common type in fiction. People love seeing us up there on the big screen...as villains.

It makes logical sense, really. Where else are you going to find a logical, decisive, big-picture leader with delusions of grandeur? You're not going to find many ESFP or INFP megalomaniacs, that's for sure haha!

To be sure, you'll see INTJ or ESTJ villains, but it seems that society has decided that we're the ideal bad guys.

So that got me wondering. What about ENTJ good guy? How often do you see an ENTJ hero?

Sadly, many ENTJ heroes turn out to be INTJ, ENTP, or ESTJ on further examination, but here's a list I've compiled so far:

Nick Fury (original version): Director of SHIELD from Marvel Comics
The Black Panther: Marvel Superhero
Princess Leia: female protagonist from the original Star Wars trilogy
Indiana Jones (possibly ISTP or ENTP)
Light Yagami (good at the beginning of the show and possibly INTJ): Death Note
Lelouch (possibly INTJ): Code Geass
James Bond (some versions)
Xena Warrior Princess
Vegeta: Dragon Ball Z
Ellen Ripley: Alien series
Buzz Lightyear (possibly ESTJ): Toy Story
Woody (possibly ISFJ): Toy Story
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (possibly INTJ): Star Trek the Next Generation
Capt. Kathryn Janeway: Star Trek Voyager
John Snow: Game of Thrones
King Theoden (possibly ISTJ): The Lord of the Rings
Eomer: The Lord of the Rings
James Potter: Harry Potter
General Olivier Armstrong (possibly ESTJ): Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Col. Roy Mustang (possibly INTJ): Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Let me know what you think! Lets build up a long list to show that we're not just the villains!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After PMing with an INTJ friend of mine, I think I will have to take Lelouch, Col. Roy Mustang, General Olivier Armstrong, and John Snow off the ENTJ list.

The list was basically just a list of all the characters I could find anywhere on the internet typed as ENTJ. So I'm fully aware that many of them are probably not ENTJs.

The entire point of this thread is to spark discussion so that we can discover what characters should and should not be on the list.

So who wants to start the function analysis? :happy:

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@MsBossyPants

Thanks! Sounds like a good ENTJ to me!

And for the purposes of this thread, "good" is defined by the tenor of the show/book/movie/game, etc. So basically, not a villain and not too jerkish.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Stampede

Sounds like an ENTJ and, at least from what that link said, she seems to be on the "good" side in that story. She may not be a soft and squishy "nice" character, but she seems to care a lot in a very ENTJ way. So yeah, that counts! Thanks!

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
@TootsieBear267

Really? I haven't heard that theory yet. Care to elaborate?
I just remember Princess Leia usually being typed as a ESTJ.

For me I can see it either way. Princess Leia is very outgoing, social, and a leader. She is someone who cares about people, but doesn't let foolishness get in her way. She just sounds like someone who lives by life's experiences. Not the future.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@TootsieBear267

Fair enough. I agree she is certainly ExTJ. Her Te is pronounced and her Fi is clear. Her extroverted nature is also clear as she is usually the first to offer her opinion and solutions - even to the extent of impatiently blasting a hole to the trash compactor while Luke and Han argued pointlessly. (Though that plan admittedly seems more Ne than Ni.)

The issue, then, is Ni auxiliary or Si auxiliary. Si is in the moment, yet, but is also very tied to the past, to past experiences, past sensations, and tradition. Ni is a very future-oriented, goal-directed method of connecting the dots and coming to the best solution out of a world of possibilities.

When Leia is the primary actor (like the opening scene to A New Hope), I see a lot of TeNi going on with how she got the Death Star plans away from Vader, how she had a very believable cover story already prepared, and how she continued to use that cover story all the way til the destruction of Alderaan. Honestly, all throughout Episode IV, I see lots of Ni on her part.

I think the confusion is that in Episodes V and VI she was no longer the one developing the plans. Episode V was all Rebels reacting to Imperial plots. Leia did have a few moments in Episode VI masquerading as a bounty hunter that seemed to be a rather TeNi plan. But the way she escaped Jabba the Hutt was very in-the-moment.

So I see Leia as ENTJ at least in scenes where she is pro-active. But when the writing switches to mainly follow Luke and Han, she begins to be portrayed as more reactive, more in the moment.

Does that make sense?

I admit that I'm highly intuitive, so I may be missing how a Sensor would create plans.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
@TootsieBear267

Fair enough. I agree she is certainly ExTJ. Her Te is pronounced and her Fi is clear. Her extroverted nature is also clear as she is usually the first to offer her opinion and solutions - even to the extent of impatiently blasting a hole to the trash compactor while Luke and Han argued pointlessly. (Though that plan admittedly seems more Ne than Ni.)

The issue, then, is Ni auxiliary or Si auxiliary. Si is in the moment, yet, but is also very tied to the past, to past experiences, past sensations, and tradition. Ni is a very future-oriented, goal-directed method of connecting the dots and coming to the best solution out of a world of possibilities.

When Leia is the primary actor (like the opening scene to A New Hope), I see a lot of TeNi going on with how she got the Death Star plans away from Vader, how she had a very believable cover story already prepared, and how she continued to use that cover story all the way til the destruction of Alderaan. Honestly, all throughout Episode IV, I see lots of Ni on her part.

I think the confusion is that in Episodes V and VI she was no longer the one developing the plans. Episode V was all Rebels reacting to Imperial plots. Leia did have a few moments masquerading as a bounty hunter that seemed to be a rather TeNi plan. But the way she escaped Jabba the Hutt was very in-the-moment.

So I see Leia as ENTJ at least in scenes where she is pro-active. But when the writing switches to mainly follow Luke and Han, she begins to be portrayed as more reactive, more in the moment.

Does that make sense?

I admit that I'm highly intuitive, so I may be missing how a Sensor would create plans.
It does.

I was thinking of how she acted as a bounty hunter, only to rescue Han Solo from Jabba's palace in Episode 6. It sounds like they put a plan or two in action. That sound like she's an "N" in that sense. Maybe she could be a mixture of ESTJ and ENTJ? Or she developed her sensing to understand all kinds of people and aliens who are coming and going. She has to be on her toes in order to defeat the empire.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@TootsieBear267

True. Unless the writers were specifically thinking MBTI theory, they often seem to meld types in their characters. Plus, Se is an ENTJ's tertiary function, so ENTJs can easily use Sensing when they need to.

So, to me as a highly intuitive person, the easiest way to distuinguish ESTJ from ENTJ is to look for Ne vs. Ni: lots of random improvised plans or one, methodical, goal-directed plan. Most of Leia's plans seem to have the focused Ni rather than the spontaneity of Ne. So I would place her more in the ENTJ camp. Still, I admit there is ambiguity here as there often is with fictional characters.

For example, LOTS of characters are written in such a way that they are ambiguously XNTJ.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
@TootsieBear267

True. Unless the writers were specifically thinking MBTI theory, they often seem to meld types in their characters. Plus, Se is an ENTJ's tertiary function, so ENTJs can easily use Sensing when they need to.

So, to me as a highly intuitive person, the easiest way to distuinguish ESTJ from ENTJ is to look for Ne vs. Ni: lots of random improvised plans or one, methodical, goal-directed plan. Most of Leia's plans seem to have the focused Ni rather than the spontaneity of Ne. So I would place her more in the ENTJ camp. Still, I admit there is ambiguity here as there often is with fictional characters.

For example, LOTS of characters are written in such a way that they are ambiguously XNTJ.
I see what you're saying now! Now, I can imagine that Princess Leia is an ENTJ. Do you know of any female ENTJ characters? I'll check your list again. This is fun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@TootsieBear267

Thanks! I agree! This is loads of fun!

And yes, I found a decent number of female ENTJ characters including:

Princess Leia
Xena Warrior Princess
Ellen Ripley (Alien series)
General Olivier Armstrong (probably ESTJ): Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
and Kouzuki Yuuko from Muv-Luv

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
@TootsieBear267

Thanks! I agree! This is loads of fun!

And yes, I found a decent number of female ENTJ characters including:

Princess Leia
Xena Warrior Princess
Ellen Ripley (Alien series)
General Olivier Armstrong (probably ESTJ): Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
and Kouzuki Yuuko from Muv-Luv
I don't any of these characters. I have only seen Prometheus, but I need to see the Alien series. Ellen Ripley sounds like a rational character.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely! Ellen Ripley is very rational! It's a pity that no-one listened to her in the original Alien movie. There would have been a lot more survivors, then!

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Definitely! Ellen Ripley is very rational! It's a pity that no-one listened to her in the original Alien movie. There would have been a lot more survivors, then!
Don't spoil it! Nah, I have a feeling a lot people would die in Alien. I would like to find out more ENTJ female characters. There has to be out there!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@TootsieBear267

Haha well I didn't think "people die" would exactly count as a spoiler for a sci-fi horror movie...but sure, I'll avoid giving away any plot details!

Feel free to check out the good female ENTJ characters I listed or add more to the list!

Of course, my main goal is to find as many good ENTJ characters as possible of either gender. But I admit that finding good female ENTJs is especially interesting due to their rarity.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
@TootsieBear267

Haha well I didn't think "people die" would exactly count as a spoiler for a sci-fi horror movie...but sure, I'll avoid giving away any plot details!

Feel free to check out the good female ENTJ characters I listed or add more to the list!

Of course, my main goal is to find as many good ENTJ characters as possible of either gender. But I admit that finding good female ENTJs is especially interesting due to their rarity.
Do you think Hermione Granger from Harry Potter could be an ENTJ? I would imagine she wouldn't be one. But who knows? Maybe she can! I know she cares about having good friendships, is social, and very logical as a character. It's obvious that she is very structured and goal orient.

Hermione Granger - Harry Potter Wiki

1 - 20 of 169 Posts