Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thinking about getting back into reading... any book suggestions? I like adventure, fantasy/sci-fi type of things... the hobbit, tesseract (when I was younger), etc.

Don't mind a bit of romance either :D.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Memoirs of a Geisha - (there was a 2005 movie based on it). There is a possibility you will overdose on beautiful metaphors.

If you want 'adventure' I highly suggest the Richard Sharpe series (begins with Sharpe's Tiger)by Bernard Cornwell, which is actually historical fiction from the perspective of a Napoleonic-era British Rifles captain.

If you want Sci-Fi, I suggest Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga which starts with Pandora's Star. I also started reading yearly collections of short-story Sci-Fi, called Year's Best SF ## (substituting ## for an actual number, there are upwards of 15 such collections as far as I know, I randomly picked up #14 at an airport and loved the majority of the stories within.)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dante: The Divine Comedy
Any reading is really good with me. I liked the Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas

Reactions: Goodewitch

·
Registered
395 Posts
I loved Dumas, and his plots are very well-developed, but I have to say his overuse of the virgin/whore dichotomy when characterising women really bothered me.
ME TOO. But he's a man, so I forgave him. Even though that's a pretty lame reason. I also really like Goethe's Faust. That's kind of hard to read though. Even for me. 21 Balloons is a kids book but I LOVE it. I'm looking at my bookshelf haha

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've never read Goethe - Imma put that on my list!!

I'm taking a year out this year and I intend to read every book about which I've ever said "hmmm, must read that", and then never read it :crazy:

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I really emotionally wrenching tale about two afghani friends torn apart by prejudice and war. Basically a story about redemption. It's really beautiful, but in some places quite difficult emotionally to keep reading. I learned more from Afghanistan from this book than anything else I've ever read.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
this was good scifi read though a bit spooky, by Phillip K. Dick: Ubik

scifi stories of Robert Sheckley are also very good - absurdist quick-witted comical I re-read some couple of times ^^
i don't know if you read any Lovecraft but that was also enjoyable reading with many memorable mental images >.<
also check out Paulo Coelho's work, The Alchemist is a commonly cited one, I am not a huge fan but it was a nice read
this http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Sheep-Chase-Novel/dp/037571894X was very good also, I've read several of Murakami's books afterwards
and if you are in mood for something heavy Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" is a must-read for all INFJs (i think he was INFJ or INTJ himself)

·
Registered
169 Posts
ME TOO. But he's a man, so I forgave him. Even though that's a pretty lame reason. I also really like Goethe's Faust. That's kind of hard to read though. Even for me. 21 Balloons is a kids book but I LOVE it. I'm looking at my bookshelf haha
I forgive you too for saying that.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
As far as fantasy goes, though I enjoy writing it, I have actually not read that much. I loved the Dragonlance series, but only the first two trilogies, the ones by Weis and Hickman (Chronicles and Legends). I enjoy Tolkien's works, but you already mentioned those.

I like Robert E. Howard's Conan books as well, they are quite vivid and intense. Not terribly deep, but fascinating, like the man himself. Has anyone ever seen the Whole Wide World? Not really on topic, but a great movie about his interesting, if tragic, life. He used to yell out the words as he typed them.
The Whole Wold World

I very enjoy the works of sci-fi writer Robert Heinlein, and highly recommend Stranger in a Strange Land. I think the main character, Valentine Michael Smith had a certain INFJness about him.

I think Kim by Rudyard Kipling is a great adventure. Based in reality but reads like fantasy.

Regarding fiction in general, I recommend anything by W. Somerset Maugham. I am fairly certain he must have been an INFJ. I especially recommend The Razor's Edge and Of Human Bondage.

One book I very much enjoyed is The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. It is historical fiction (biblical in this instance), and details the life of Dinah, daughter of Leah and Jacob. It is told from her perspective, and it quite a beautiful tale.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well... I have loved Christopher Paolini's books. I love books by Anne Rice, Anne McCaffery, (literallly just about anything they write.) I think some other good things to read are Tolstoy (especially his short stories because he is SO SLOW to develop characters in his epics... I mean he was a genius and all but seriously!) Then there's the three by Caleb Carr, Dan Brown is good, too. :wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try Foe by J.M. Coetzee. The last section will change your life.

Actually, most any of Coetzee's novels are INFJ approved, though I'd say your best bets will be Waiting for the Barbarians or The Life and Times of Michael K.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I loved Dumas, and his plots are very well-developed, but I have to say his overuse of the virgin/whore dichotomy when characterising women really bothered me.
thats how most men think.

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I truly hope that's not true. But it feels true. You're definitely not helping me with my distrust of men. :unsure:
It's not Men who shouldn't be trusted it people.
As my new personal hero says.

"My philosophy was like people basically suck, because really you know what I mean they're always trying to screw you... you have different occasions where you run into nice people, but you been through experience you know they really don't have any emotion towards human feelings."

·
Registered
428 Posts
I like Robert E. Howard's Conan books as well, they are quite vivid and intense. Not terribly deep, but fascinating, like the man himself.
I love Robert E Howard's works. I enjoyed his Lord of Samarcand and other Oriental Stories, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, Kull of Atlantis. Interestingly, I never really got down to reading Conan.

I would recommend Romance of the 3 Kingdoms. It has loads of interesting characters. You learn about life, strategy, honour, brotherhood and valour.

Reactions: HorribleAesthete
1 - 17 of 17 Posts