Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently read the interesting book A whole new mind - Daniel H. Pink, which revolves around how "right-brainers" will do good in the coming years, since many of the "left-brained" jobs/activities are either being moved overseas or taken over by machines. Also in this world of abundance, people are more concerned with things like art, beauty, spirituality and meaning.

Have any of you guys thought any on the matter? What are your opinions?

Reactions: Inguz

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
O rly?

Meh. it's cute in theory but I don't believe it.

We have been through times like that, neither side is ever going to take over completely and honestly as boring as us left-brain folk can be we're generally more reliable :p

It's not a "new mind" either, the right brain is referred to as the "animal brain".

Savages :p

Reactions: ParfaitMan

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Goes along well with Indigo Children prophecy (though take that with a handful of salt), but in essence, yes we have to leave the left-brain dominance behind to create a better society. I actually don't think that right brains will take over, but just in general I think we have to reinvent our ethical standards, Asia and Africa can't act as our cheap labor forever if they also are to get the same material standard as us.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O rly?

Meh. it's cute in theory but I don't believe it.

We have been through times like that, neither side is ever going to take over completely and honestly as boring as us left-brain folk can be we're generally more reliable :p

It's not a "new mind" either, the right brain is referred to as the "animal brain".

Savages :p
The book doesn't advocate that "right-brain thinking" will take completely over. It says that only left-brain thinking isn't enough anymore. For instance, people just don't want products that are functional, but they want them to be beautiful as well. Or in marketing using story which people can relate to has shown to be more effective than just numbers showing how much cheaper your product/thingy is. So, it is more about that society will become more balanced as opposed to today where left-brain thinking is generally more valued.

I don't agree on calling the right-brain the "animal brain." The the right brained functions (creativity, big picture thinking, empathy, reading emotions) are very essential to being human.

One side of the brain is not superior over the other. The two halves make one .

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
The book doesn't advocate that "right-brain thinking" will take completely over. It says that only left-brain thinking isn't enough anymore. For instance, people just don't want products that are functional, but they want them to be beautiful as well. Or in marketing using story which people can relate to has shown to be more effective than just numbers showing how much cheaper your product/thingy is. So, it is more about that society will become more balanced as opposed to today where left-brain thinking is generally more valued.

I don't agree on calling the right-brain the "animal brain." The the right brained functions (creativity, big picture thinking, empathy, reading emotions) are very essential to being human.

One side of the brain is not superior over the other. The two halves make one .
It is called the animal brain because the left brain evolved later.

I was just messing with you, jeez louise.

I agree that both sides are ideal, but if you had to choose, would you rather live in a world ruled by Pinky or The Brain?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It is called the animal brain because the left brain evolved later.
Could you link me some scientific proof to that?

In your example any sane person would of course pick the brain to rule, because what does pinky have? He is just stupid.

Which person would you pick to rule the world? Albert Einstein or Leonardo Da Vinci?

The point is not that one side is not superior to the other, but that both sides are equally important.

A right brain dominated person with a poor developed left-side brain will suffer. Same goes vica versa.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Could you link me some scientific proof to that?

In your example any sane person would of course pick the brain to rule, because what does pinky have? He is just stupid.

Which person would you pick to rule the world? Albert Einstein or Leonardo Da Vinci?
O_________________________________________O

Pinky and The Brain are meant to be exaggerated comparisons of left and right brain thinking.

Most left brain dominant people are not mega geniuses and most right brain dominant people are not complete idiots.

You're taking this mighty seriously, no person is exclusively dominant on either side and Leonardo Da Vinci is said to be a polymath which would mean that both sides of his brain were very strongly developed.

Einstein was probably more left-dominant than most, but he was known to have deficits in other areas and was most likely autistic.

Anyway, it's common knowledge. Google it. Animals are nearly 100% right brained because those functions aid in survival, left brain functions evolved later in humans. Human intelligence doesn't work that way and if it did the human would be diagnosed with some kind of disorder so I didn't think you would be so intense with this "right brain pride".

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O_________________________________________O

Pinky and The Brain are meant to be exaggerated comparisons of left and right brain thinking.

Most left brain dominant people are not mega geniuses and most right brain dominant people are not complete idiots.

You're taking this mighty seriously, no person is exclusively dominant on either side and Leonardo Da Vinci is said to be a polymath which would mean that both sides of his brain were very strongly developed.

Einstein was probably more left-dominant than most, but he was known to have deficits in other areas and was most likely autistic.

Anyway, it's common knowledge. Google it. Animals are nearly 100% right brained because those functions aid in survival, left brain functions evolved later in humans. Human intelligence doesn't work that way and if it did the human would be diagnosed with some kind of disorder so I didn't think you would be so intense with this "right brain pride".

To clarify I added this to my last post after I wrote it:

"The point is not that one side is not superior to the other, but that both sides are equally important.

A right brain dominated person with a poor developed left-side brain will suffer. Same goes vica versa"

That is my view. Not that the right-brain is better.

I've heard that the right-side of the brain is the "animal" brain many times before, but I have yet to see any modern scientific evidence for it. From what I've gathered, the view dates back to the early 1800s when they found that language and logic resided in the left side of the brain, and therefore at the time concluded that the right-sided brain was the lesser "animal" brain.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
To clarify I added this to my last post after I wrote it:

"The point is not that one side is not superior to the other, but that both sides are equally important.

A right brain dominated person with a poor developed left-side brain will suffer. Same goes vica versa"

That is my view. Not that the right-brain is better.

I've heard that the right-side of the brain is the "animal" brain many times before, but I have yet to see any modern scientific evidence for it. From what I've gathered, the view dates back to the early 1800s when they found that language and logic resided in the left side of the brain, and therefore at the time concluded that the right-sided brain was the lesser "animal" brain.
Just because it's older doesn't mean we don't need it.

If a person had no right brain functions they would seriously not be able to survive. You even see it with some autistic people, they can't recognize faces and have very poor spatial awareness, narrow focus. They still use some of the right brain but less than most people. If a person used absolutely none of it they would have no survival skills.

But yes, most scientists still believe that the right brain came first. The left brain is said to have evolved for speech and tool-making. This is something Neanderthals couldn't do (or at least not well)and they weren't able to survive although to be fair they probably had some impairments in other areas of the brain as well.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
yeah this sounds like wishful thinking and rationalizations. I'd tell you ESTP's are obsolete now that nomads no longer roam the earth but that isn't true either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts