Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while after getting really into the Enneagram, after much self-reflection and information gathering, I initially thought I was a Nine. A 9w1, 2w1, 6w7. That's what I thought. ^^' Until I self-reflected even more and gathered even more information.

So here I am. A 6w7, 1w9, 2w1. Perhaps. But I know for sure that my core is 6w7 and I'm So/Sp. And for now, I'm going to leave everything open and not set things in stone completely.

I'm very happy and satisfied to have found myself. It took a lot of self-reflecting. Some of it was hard to admit because Nine felt so warm, happy, safe, and normal. My reasoning for liking Nine does point to the (very) phobic 6w7 I am, eh? XD

I've never liked conflict and I do avoid it. I don't like being angry. But I am incredibly self-aware and do lots of analyzing before, during, and after conflict. Analyzing of my feelings and the other peoples' feelings. When conflict occurs, I react and feel the need to stop it. I want to mediate. I cannot numb myself or ignore the problem that is so clearly there like a Nine can. Although there are times when I wish to ignore the problem as though it would disappear, there will always be a strong nagging anxiety that tugs me to fix the problem as opposed to ignoring it.

So many of the things that made me a Nine actually pointed towards Six. I, however, didn't notice this at first. Now that I've made this self-discovery, I can more clearly see myself. I feel much lighter than I did when I saw myself as a Nine. Perhaps because I was trying to fit myself into something I wasn't. Or perhaps because part of me knew Nine fit me in some ways, but didn't "explain" me completely.

Some people look down upon Sixes and would much rather be a Four, Five, Eight, or practically any type. But I would much rather know myself well and accurately see myself than to try and be somebody that other people say is better.

On top of that, everything that a healthy Six is - those are the values I hold close to me.

So, hello, guys. :) Feel free to call me Julia.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Hello there!
Glad you have it figured out:) And, yes, emotionally and psychologically healthy members of all types can be just as "good". Emotionally and psychologically unhealthy members of all types can be equally fucked up. The 8,4,5= great, 6=avoid like the damn plague line of thought is quite prevalent on typology communities. I am happy that you've been able to see right past the bullshit.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
^^ welcome Julia, hope you enjoy your stay and find this subforum valuable.

Enneagram type 6 does integrate to type 9, so the positive qualities of 9 are well worth striving for.

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
poor descriptions:p
Agreed. The sad part about 6s is they look worse on paper. A lot of 9s read the 6 description and think, "Jeesh. I don't want to deal with someone so paranoid all the time!" But what everyone doesn't realize is that IRL the paranoia is significantly downplayed and in its place is complete loyalty, caring, and stability. Exactly what a 9 needs. :happy:

I
sixes. :kitteh:

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Agreed. The sad part about 6s is they look worse on paper. A lot of 9s read the 6 description and think, "Jeesh. I don't want to deal with someone so paranoid all the time!" But what everyone doesn't realize is that IRL the paranoia is significantly downplayed and in its place is complete loyalty, caring, and stability. Exactly what a 9 needs. :happy:

I
sixes. :kitteh:

I have been trying to come up with a Type 6 appreciation note- from a Non 6 perspective for a while. I am, chronically, short on time. And, when I do come up with this thread, I'd like my post to be well-worded and insightful. I'll take my time with this endeavour;)

And, you're right. Some of the greatest of human qualities are associated with healthy 6s. It's a shame that most, including myself in the past, have found it easier to reject a caricature of the type, instead of truly understanding it for what it is. A 6s capacity for courage and strength, especially, in times of crises is incredibly inspiring.

I don't talk about it, often. I have mentioned this incident irl, a time or two, but no one I know irl is familiar with the Enneagram. So, I'll place it in the Enneagram context today.

Basically, the only person who had the nerve to run back to a place that had been destroyed by a bomb blast (with a few more blasts in tow), to pull me out from underneath a pile of mostly burnt corpses, was a.. 17 year old 6w5. At a time when most people were fleeing for their lives, he had the strength to walk right into a situation that greatly endangered his own life, to help out a 15 year old neighbour. We weren't best friends. He wasn't "loyal" to me. That was..purely and simply...among the greatest acts of courage I have witnessed in my lifetime. I will, likely, not witness anything similar again. I have witnessed quite a few, mind you. I have lived an exciting, as fuck, life.

I am not doing it to lionize the type, and this incident is extremely personal to me. I am saying this because I want people to know that conflating the type with fearfulness, doubt, negativity, 'defensiveness' and the likes at the expense of paying due attention to qualities (courage, responsibility, commitment, incisiveness, the ability to think critically and challenge confidently and so on) is counter-productive and juvenile.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've never liked conflict and I do avoid it. I don't like being angry. But I am incredibly self-aware and do lots of analyzing before, during, and after conflict. Analyzing of my feelings and the other peoples' feelings. When conflict occurs, I react and feel the need to stop it. I want to mediate. I cannot numb myself or ignore the problem that is so clearly there like a Nine can. Although there are times when I wish to ignore the problem as though it would disappear, there will always be a strong nagging anxiety that tugs me to fix the problem as opposed to ignoring it.
I'm like you when it comes to conflict. My significant other is a Nine. I feel we have the same internal, emotional response to conflict (intense anxiety) but we deal with it in different ways. She reflexively numbs out, or shuts down in response to it. With me, it's like I observe it from afar, analyzing all the information (verbal and non-verbal) that I'm receiving, picking apart different viewpoints to see what truth they might contain. I can often see multiple viewpoints, but it's not a floaty sense of merging with other people's agendas. It's more like trying them on for size to better dissect them from within.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I don't even know exactly where the 6 prejudice came from, anyways...
I think it's similar to the SJ prejudice in MBTI. Most forums I've seen (which aren't numerous, admittedly) have the same reaction to 6s. It's usually an undercurrent, but obvious after a while of reading various threads, the stories of "crazy reactive 6s" or the stereotypes of "loyal traditionalists" as if they were the norm...

The most obvious 6s are phobic, which probably doesn't help matters. I'd guess that a lot of middler or cp 6s are turned off by how the 6 forums tend to draw the people with anxiety issues. There's nothing wrong with being phobic (I am and I don't mind it), but the differences between the subtypes are understandably disorienting.

Obviously, as others have said, the descriptions suck. Then there's the ones who are 6s but can't stand the idea of it so lash out (passive-) aggressively towards the type. And the fact that we're freakishly diverse, which makes it virtually impossible to notice 6ish motivations sometimes.

If I come off as bitter... Well, maybe a little. >_> Repeatedly correcting misinformation is patience-draining.

Oh! And hai @Julia Bell!
@Mizmar, I definitely relate to your post.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been trying to come up with a Type 6 appreciation note- from a Non 6 perspective for a while. I am, chronically, short on time. And, when I do come up with this thread, I'd like my post to be well-worded and insightful. I'll take my time with this endeavour;)

And, you're right. Some of the greatest of human qualities are associated with healthy 6s. It's a shame that most, including myself in the past, have found it easier to reject a caricature of the type, instead of truly understanding it for what it is. A 6s capacity for courage and strength, especially, in times of crises is incredibly inspiring.

I don't talk about it, often. I have mentioned this incident irl, a time or two, but no one I know irl is familiar with the Enneagram. So, I'll place it in the Enneagram context today.

Basically, the only person who had the nerve to run back to a place that had been destroyed by a bomb blast (with a few more blasts in tow), to pull me out from underneath a pile of mostly burnt corpses, was a.. 17 year old 6w5. At a time when most people were fleeing for their lives, he had the strength to walk right into a situation that greatly endangered his own life, to help out a 15 year old neighbour. We weren't best friends. He wasn't "loyal" to me. That was..purely and simply...among the greatest acts of courage I have witnessed in my lifetime. I will, likely, not witness anything similar again. I have witnessed quite a few, mind you. I have lived an exciting, as fuck, life.

I am not doing it to lionize the type, and this incident is extremely personal to me. I am saying this because I want people to know that conflating the type with fearfulness, doubt, negativity, 'defensiveness' and the likes at the expense of paying due attention to qualities (courage, responsibility, commitment, incisiveness, the ability to think critically and challenge confidently and so on) is counter-productive and juvenile.
That made me tear up. Thanks for sharing that. That's truly inspiring. :)

·
Banned
1,824 Posts

Thank you for sharing this deeply personal story...you have touched my rugged little heart.

If 6s could be described with the positive qualities you mention, rather than the description immediately zeroing in on fear and anxiety, I think a lot more people would see themselves reflected in it. My biggest barrier to actually thinking I'm a 6 is that my life actually doesn't revolve around fear, anxiety, affiliation, or suspicion of anything--it revolves around me living my life, exploring the world, earning my keep, taking care of myself, and doing the things that I want to do. Moreover, other people don't pick up on anxiety in me, either--I'm always being told how chill and unflappable I am. There's a lot more to Type 6 than is sometimes made out to be, and the folks on this forum are tremendous evidence of it. If the descriptions could focus on how awesome people are, there'd be fewer mistypes, that's for sure.

As a side note, I furthermore resent the 6/8 debates which always winds up with 6s being portrayed as cowardly little downbackers. I am a little of both 6 and 8, and I have survived things that would have crushed most people. I challenge anyone who wants to look down on me (being a potential 6) to live my life even for one day.

@Julia Bell If you are a 6, that's awesome. You seem not to be listening to the nay-sayers and idiots on some of these forums, and that's a good thing. As someone who thought she was a 4 for the last decade (and might even still be) I can't see why anyone would actually want to be that type (same for 5s and 8s, I would imagine). We should embrace being who we are!

PS-- @Boss I've been wanting to set up a 6 appreciation thread as well, but I'll leave it to a confirmed non-6. I eagerly await its arrival!

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
@holyrockthrower, You're welcome. It's very personal, indeed. It was also a time of serious (inter-religious) conflict culminating in mob violence. So, for him to have done that for me, considering the hostility between our communities at the time, was a big deal. Had he been mindlessly 'loyal' to the propagandist rubbish (as 6s are often considered 'susceptible' to being influenced by 'authority' (unless they're cp, in which case they're foolhardy creeps who will throw themselves before a charging bull or a lorry to prove they're 'fearless' and 'strong'), he wouldn't have done what he did. If there were anything to which he had demonstrated allegiance that day...it was humanity. He had nothing to prove to me or himself or anyone watching.

You're right about the 6/8 debates. A lot these end up portraying 6s as somehow less "stable and strong" than 8s. Many people who harp on how 8s are glorified and how every insecure lil 6 wants to be an 8 don't realize that by elevating to 8s to this supposedly enviable position, they're feeding into the same ridiculousness that keeps 6s from identifying their correct type. I have seen people insinuate that a person were a 6 who believed they were an 8 because they'd led a turbulent life, as though only an 8 has what it takes to survive the 'harsh' realities of life. @Paradigm and I talked about this a while back. Nearly every time I see someone being typed a 6, right though the typer may be, stuff like 'defensiveness' is used to illustrate the person is a 6. It's very rare for me to see people highlight the qualities associated with Type 6.

I don't, and I never have, believed that 6s were anything "less" than an 8 in ANY way, whatsoever. It's a very complex type, yes. It's not easy to understand, but it's in no way lagging behind an 8 in terms of power, drive or what have you. 6s can have powerful, incisive minds and great force of will, especially in the face of crises, adversity and more.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
I have seen people insinuate that a person were a 6 who believed they were an 8 because they'd led a turbulent life, as though only an 8 has what it takes to survive the 'harsh' realities of life.
I've seen this phenomenon, too.

I live in Cambodia. Most everyone who was born prior to 1975 lived through the Khmer Rouge, witnessed the slaughter of their families, and endured 4 years of pure hell plus a brutal 30 years of civil strife and warfare after that. I guarantee people of all types survived this, and people of all types prevail against the odds today. Type doesn't matter. I think the debate some folks get into on these message boards is indicative of pampered lives that haven't faced some of the harsh realities that exist elsewhere in this world.

I don't, and I never have, believed that 6s were anything "less" than an 8 in ANY way, whatsoever. It's a very complex type, yes. It's not easy to understand, but it's in no way lagging behind an 8 in terms of power, drive or what have you. 6s can have powerful, incisive minds and great force of will, especially in the face of crises, adversity and more.
You're absolutely right. The enneagram only describes psychological tendencies and lifelong patterns, and most of us will abide by one of them primarily. This should never obscure the fact that we're all the same species and have more in common with each other than we sometimes realize.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I completely agree. I am from Kashmir. Enough said. ;)

A lot of people who run about making such comments on forums haven't lived enough, learnt enough (not even about the Enneagram lol), reflected enough to truly understand what life is and who they are, let alone being able to provide meaningful insights on another individual's type. There are a few level-headed people who know what they're talking about, but that can't be said for most. For many, it's just a petty ego trip/ a typing 'game'. That's why I encourage people to get their hands on good material and do significant self-study.

Now, it's time for the Oracle of Boss to make a pronouncement on your type. Before that, your 'vibes' will be felt through the computer screen *closes eyes..waves hands in..a barely discernible pattern* ...
;)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Being a type 6, makes me feel good. I feel good that my insecurity doesn't lets me trust anyone and everyone just after a week or month.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After some soul searching, I too have discovered that I am a 6. At first I thought I was a four due to my strong emotions, feelings of envy, and longing for the beautiful. However, I realized that I didn't totally immerse myself in my feelings like a four, but often detached myself like a five. I share the five's desire to keep experience at arm's length, to minimize needs, and to be reclusive. However, I realized that although I was often immersed with my thoughts, I never could put full trust in them like a five would. I can be emotionally moody and cerebral, but I have always felt an anxious need to have some authoritarian backup. I rarely put my trust in people and instead strongly desire to follow some creed or philosophy. When I am immersed in a philosophy that I find appealing I usually feel myself sucked in as though I really want this to be true, but then I feel anxious, search for inconsistencies and falsehoods, find them, and destroy the belief. Lately, I've lost the motivation to continue with my philosophical musings and have become fascinated by art, which can harmoniously render so much of reality into a beautiful and seamless synthesis. I need philosophy for analysis and art for synthesis and hope to produce achievements in both.

At first I read the description of the type 6 and shared the common reaction that not only is this a person I wouldn't want to be, but that there was a great deal about me that wasn't contained there. I didn't continue on with the description of the wings and returned my focus to types 4 and 5. I settled for a while on type 5 after reading a description that seemed to accurately describe my reclusive tendencies. But after a momentary satisfaction, I sensed that all was not well. What lead me back to type 6 was a careful consideration of how I feel and act around people. Usually, I'm alone with my thoughts and feelings, and my four and five tendencies become very noticeable. But around people, I am anxious, remote, and stoic. I could see how the six concepts of phobic and counterphobic could readily explain my behavior around people. I read the great 6 description posted by Rim and noted the Kierkagaard quote about the anxiety of freedom which poignently described a feeling I've had all my life. Finally, I read the 6w5 description. Then it all clicked. My reclusive tendencies could easily be explained by being a 6w5. I considered the paths of integration and disintegration. Unlike fours, I don't act like a 2 under stress. I could see how under stress I do disintegrate somewhat like a five, because my thoughts do become flighty and scattered. Yet, I could definitely see myself moving towards three. Under stress, I become cold, competitive, and put on a very "professional persona." I put on the mask of being all business and can lose a good deal of my humanity. I can't say much for integration. I'm rarely in a healthy state and stay for the most part in the low average/unhealthy states. Finally, I considered the mistyping post and could clearly differentiate myself as a 6.

I blame my prior disdain for type 6 on terrible descriptions that would have me think that 6's are spineless, incapable of independent thought, and have a tendency towards following demagogues. I've known myself to be courageous in the face of some danger, very capable of independent thought, and know myself to be the last sort of person to follow a demagogue.

I've sat on these considerations a few days and feel totally comfortable in being a six.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now, it's time for the Oracle of Boss to make a pronouncement on your type. Before that, your 'vibes' will be felt through the computer screen *closes eyes..waves hands in..a barely discernible pattern* ...
;)
Actually, I need the Oracle of Boss to make a pronouncement on my instinctual stacking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts