Personality Cafe banner

Google It!

[Generation Y] 
4K views 28 replies 28 participants last post by  swickaroo 
#1 ·
Why most of the Generation Y always answer some questions that they cant answer with Just Google it! or Google it!

are you one of them?
because im one of them!

#5 ·
My problem with the "Google it" crowd, is I always Google it before asking on a forum, so it feels like nothing but troll work to me, and I counted 27 different instances where "Googling it" resulted in me finding nothing but 700,000 circling search engine pages that I never knew existed.

So sorry "Google it" people, but to me, you are nothing but trolls, and I despise trolls. But then pf course, I still will give you a chance to redeem yourself.

#6 ·
The problem is that a lot of people haven't "Googled it" because they find it too much effort. Or because they don't know how to use Google: I've known many people who can't figure out proper search terms.

Yeah, I've been known to say, "Dude, just look it up," or linked to an already-done Google search. More commonly (especially in PerC's Enneagram forums!) I link to articles or forum posts. I'm not going to reiterate what's already there unless one has trouble understanding it or has in-depth questions.

#7 ·
if a person asks me a question, ill answer it with as much as i know. If i dont know enough about the subject for it to be a sufficient answer, then i suggest google afterwards. I never just type "google it" because then i feel that im implying that theyre stupid

#8 ·
Absolutely not one of them! (depending on the situation) I tell people to "just Google it" when the knowledge is trivial by nature or I am not knowledgeable enough myself. I am otherwise tempted to see the phrase used as a crutch.

I have been in debates with people before who have referenced 'Googling it' as a source. Google, in it self, is not a reliable source of information. It is a means of obtaining (possibly reliable) information; on a side note, the same goes for Wikipedia.

#9 ·
Absolutely not one of them! (depending on the situation) I tell people to "just Google it" when the knowledge is trivial by nature or I am not knowledgeable enough myself. I am otherwise tempted to see the phrase used as a crutch.

I have been in debates with people before who have referenced 'Googling it' as a source. Google, in it self, is not a reliable source of information. It is a means of obtaining (possibly reliable) information; on a side note, the same goes for Wikipedia.

No. More like the same goes for the entire internet.

#12 ·
I use google a lot. I wonder if this can cause a certain irresponsibility though.... I find myself looking up things when I have a question and then quoting and sources links and articles when I talk to someone else about the subject. This can take off personal responsibility because it's pretty much saying, "I'm not claiming to know, but THIS person is [insert link]" So if what I quoted or cited is incorrect, I can push that off on the person I was quoting, and escape the blame for error. Also, the conflicts in information online. Anyone can post online, so we can find every different view and argument about a subject, getting very subjective results. This can cause us to use this information to confirm and justify our own subjective beliefs, or it leaves tangible and concrete facts more open for interpretation, making things blurry.
It can weaken our ability to explain ourselves too, since we can think of anything, google it, and there! someone has explained our own ideas to/for us, so we don't need to do it ourselves.

#18 ·
Google is a major innovation like from knife to gun you cant say its the alpha and omega but its ignorant to dismiss it capabilities.Normally when a major innovation anytime in history people tend to to get ultra euphoric and say its the be all or end all and to inflate its importance ex. facebook & iphones.These two things are both less than 5 years old but people act like they're golden institutions that if are destroyed will responsible for the collapse of mankind.Human society is too fixated on seeing some great external product that will transform our lives and save us from all our ills instead realizing we need change ourselves to change our reality and change the way we think and act to change how the world acts around us.

#19 ·
It depends on the situation. If a friend asked me something while I'm online, then of course! Let's google it!
If I know someone with a better knowledge & more experienced might know the answer, I'd just ask them directly instead.
Experience is quite important to me I guess.

#20 ·
I only ever tell people to JFGI when it's a really stupid question. Or in a situation like this:
Hey, how much does the sun weigh?
How am I supposed to know that?! JFGI.
When I know the answer to a question, and I'm asked specifically, I'll answer to the best of my ability, but if I don't know, don't care, or don't want to spend half-an-hour explaining something that can be solved by typing a few words into a search engine, I go with "Google it."

#21 ·
I use Google and Bing long as I get my answer I dnt care.

#22 ·
I'm not someone who typically says "Google it" unless I have zero knowledge on the topic. I'd rather discuss what I can share first, then suggest google for additional information and facts. My friends, lovers, peers, however...

Well...I'm sick of being referred to google when I'm just trying to have a conversation!

#23 ·
I find it kind of sad how Google revolves around prior sources being compiled onto a search engine. We are basically using people who actually cared more about a topic for our own benefit. In this case, it seems like we're not actually learning anything or we're learning very little because that person before us who put the information on a webpage did the work for us.

#27 ·
Lord help us is Google ever goes down. There are some things Google cant find in those cases try not to panic take a deep breath and come to the realization that you're screwed.

#29 ·
I like Googling stuff, but sometimes I don't feel as if the most appropriate sites/information are ranked correctly. With brands/companies getting more savvy, they are having marketers and advertisers writing SEO copy to fit the keywords that you search. So we may not be getting the more relevant information first. I'm doing my dissertation on this topics, online advertising, and would love you to contribute your opinions to this 12-question survey: https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eXKe1kZPi8uiP8F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.