Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love google maps and can spend hours navigating with the street view function! What's your favourite places on Street View?
I've heard intps love desolate places, I certainly do (allthough i love big cities also).
these are some lonely houses

Let's see some amazing places that intps find interesting!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm not much of a fan of google maps ... or street view, it hasn't helped me that much in the past because the perspectives aren't that reliable unless you make the conscious effort to not rely on them too much.

In any case... that picture you attached is pretty attractive, I like the scenery but not the 'eerie' feel... *shrug*

·
Registered
692 Posts
A "soda lake" (sodium sulfates & carbonates) along the San Andreas Fault

Google Maps

Carrizo Plain with wave cloud formations.

Google Maps

Overlooking the south end of the San Joaquin Valley (Kern County). during winter. You are seeing the top of a very cold inversion. The cold air gets trapped in the San Joaquin Valley and the sun isn't strong enough to produce enough heating to mix the boundary layer out. The result is fog for days on end. It may only reach 45°F (7°C) on the valley floor while the higher elevations have mild afternoons in the low 60s (near 16°C).

Google Maps

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
A "soda lake" (sodium sulfates & carbonates) along the San Andreas Fault

Google Maps

Carrizo Plain with wave cloud formations.

Google Maps

Overlooking the south end of the San Joaquin Valley (Kern County). during winter. You are seeing the top of a very cold inversion. The cold air gets trapped in the San Joaquin Valley and the sun isn't strong enough to produce enough heating to mix the boundary layer out. The result is fog for days on end. It may only reach 45°F (7°C) on the valley floor while the higher elevations have mild afternoons in the low 60s (near 16°C).

Google Maps
Why I want to live in CA.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Why I want to live in CA.
Why you don't want to live in CA.

Overrated, IMO. Nice, but overrated. Everything is inherently expensive, and people in general there are a bunch of tools. Washington's weather is just as good (if not better--I like rain) and has a thriving technology community. It can be expensive as well, but not California expensive.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Google Maps brought me to a large pond in Connecticut where it showed an man made wood bridge in the picture... townsfolk says the wood bridge was tore down a few years ago.

Who the hell tears down a bridge to make a pond bigger? I'm baffled by county, city, and state decisions on many construction decisions.

But then, this wouldn't have happened if I took the expressway like I-95... but traveling on highways, everything is so fast paced and no one appreciates the scenery of local establishments anymore... but that's another topic in itself altogether.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts

Overrated, IMO. Nice, but overrated. Everything is inherently expensive, and people in general there are a bunch of tools. Washington's weather is just as good (if not better--I like rain) and has a thriving technology community. It can be expensive as well, but not California expensive.
Seattle's nice, but I didn't mesh well with the people I met there. Could've just been the particular program. I did like the city quite a bit, though.

The people in CA were less grunge, and the nature was amazing.

Plus Mexican food. That's all the really matters. I would move to Timbuktu if they had excellent Mexican food.

·
Registered
692 Posts

What do you think is expensive, specifically?

Housing? It depends where you live. The junk you buy in Target, Walmart and Sears costs the same everywhere in the country. Food? You can buy strawberries for 50 cents a pint, lemons 10 for a $1.00, a 5lb bag of oranges for $2.50, peaches and nectarines for half the price the rest of the country pays. That is if you decide to pay for them because you can't seem to locate someone who has more fruit growing on their trees than they can possibly eat. And it is better than that dehydrated crap they call produce in the grocery stores.

Taxes? Most Americans don't earn enough for that few % difference to matter. Additionally, there are 14 states with a higher tax burden (based on percentage of income). The big plus here is property taxes are low.

Climate? It varies widely throughout California. I don't mind cool, west coast marine type climates, but I think most people would prefer the climate in San Jose, Sacramento, Los Angeles or San Diego over Seattle. And our cities (of any substantial size) with the coldest winters (Sacramento, Chico, etc) are much more pleasant in December than many parts of the country. And if you want cool and snow, you can go visit it at any time of the year without leaving the state.

·
Registered
815 Posts
What do you think is expensive, specifically?

Housing? It depends where you live. The junk you buy in Target, Walmart and Sears costs the same everywhere in the country. Food? You can buy strawberries for 50 cents a pint, lemons 10 for a $1.00, a 5lb bag of oranges for $2.50, peaches and nectarines for half the price the rest of the country pays. That is if you decide to pay for them because you can't seem to locate someone who has more fruit growing on their trees than they can possibly eat. And it is better than that dehydrated crap they call produce in the grocery stores.

Taxes? Most Americans don't earn enough for that few % difference to matter. Additionally, there are 14 states with a higher tax burden (based on percentage of income). The big plus here is property taxes are low.

Climate? It varies widely throughout California. I don't mind cool, west coast marine type climates, but I think most people would prefer the climate in San Jose, Sacramento, Los Angeles or San Diego over Seattle. And our cities (of any substantial size) with the coldest winters (Sacramento, Chico, etc) are much more pleasant in December than many parts of the country. And if you want cool and snow, you can go visit it at any time of the year without leaving the state.
Everything. Utilities, groceries, housing, dining--the whole shibang. That is absolutely untrue. There is a huge regional variance in pricing, even in chains. You can argue that there are a few rinky dink type deals where you can get cheap fruit and whatnot, but that's about it. I've lived in many places across the country, and it is by far the biggest rip off. Especially considering the Thousand Oaks-Westlake Village area that I lived in. Very posh, comfortable community, but the social crowd is also very bourgeois--growing more and more bourgeois as you move eastward. Everyone's big on metaphorically comparing penis size. I can't stand that pinky-up-in-the-air tooly bullshit. "Blanket statements, blanket statements everywhere," you say, but that sociological attitude is definitely characteristic of the area. Salaries may be nominally higher, however there are much better places to live with a much higher salary to cost-of-living ratio. Not to mention the unemployment rate there. LA and surrounding areas are becoming grossly overpopulated. There's no doubt in my mind that it's going to become a crowded NYC-like area within my lifetime. I understand that there are also more affordable areas, however the whole crowd still isn't my type.

Seattle's nice, but I didn't mesh well with the people I met there. Could've just been the particular program. I did like the city quite a bit, though.

The people in CA were less grunge, and the nature was amazing.

Plus Mexican food. That's all the really matters. I would move to Timbuktu if they had excellent Mexican food.
Why didn't you mesh with them? And I just stay indoors all day long anyway, so nature isn't a very good selling point.

Reactions: Chrysantheist

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wow.. that street view is actually so pretty I'm screenshotting it and keeping it as a reference for my landscape pictures..

Hmm.. well I do like Norway, places with mountains and fjords. I also like New Zealand too.

It's a random place, but here's a good view in Norway. (Dunno why it says Sweden) Sweden - Google Maps

Italy:

Dolomiten, Via Alemagna, Toblach, Italy - Google Maps

I also like the wilderness of Canada, but I haven't found any streetviews.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Everything. Utilities, groceries, housing, dining--the whole shibang. That is absolutely untrue. There is a huge regional variance in pricing, even in chains. You can argue that there are a few rinky dink type deals where you can get cheap fruit and whatnot, but that's about it. I've lived in many places across the country, and it is by far the biggest rip off. Especially considering the Thousand Oaks-Westlake Village area that I lived in. Very posh, comfortable community, but the social crowd is also very bourgeois--growing more and more bourgeois as you move eastward. Everyone's big on metaphorically comparing penis size. I can't stand that pinky-up-in-the-air tooly bullshit. "Blanket statements, blanket statements everywhere," you say, but that sociological attitude is definitely characteristic of the area. Salaries may be nominally higher, however there are much better places to live with a much higher salary to cost-of-living ratio. Not to mention the unemployment rate there. LA and surrounding areas are becoming grossly overpopulated. There's no doubt in my mind that it's going to become a crowded NYC-like area within my lifetime. I understand that there are also more affordable areas, however the whole crowd still isn't my type.

Why didn't you mesh with them? And I just stay indoors all day long anyway, so nature isn't a very good selling point.

If there is regional price differences in products I've yet to see it. At least not much throughout the West. I thought produce was a little higher when I was in Texas, but not so much that it is worth noting. The price differences I've seen in restaurants has been very regional, but it doesn't apply to chains. Pricing is very similar throughout the country.

I think you have explained why you think things are expensive. Thousand Oaks is one of the expensive areas. I live in Sacramento. We are very close to the national average here. The price of gas puts us slightly above the national average. But the reality of pricing is if you are near larger metro areas things are going to cost more. I suppose one could move to Oklahoma City, but then you have to live in Oklahoma.

As far as the people go, if you think everyone throughout the state is the same there is really not much point in going into much discussion on this topic.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts

As a fellow hermit, the weather in San Diego is nice simply because I don't have to worry about my computer bursting into flames because of the heat, nor do I have to worry about it bursting into flames because of thunderstorms.

Also, even when it's cold, it is never really that cold. Though recently, the heat has been strong enough to remind one that this area was once desert.

·
Registered
692 Posts
As a fellow hermit, the weather in San Diego is nice simply because I don't have to worry about my computer bursting into flames because of the heat, nor do I have to worry about it bursting into flames because of thunderstorms.

Also, even when it's cold, it is never really that cold. Though recently, the heat has been strong enough to remind one that this area was once desert.
Was once desert?

San Diego has a steppe climate. That is transitional toward desert.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts