Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time I experience waves of warmth/energy in my body which are accompanied by goosebumps. It all started in my teens when I did a lot of prayer and worship. It continues to this day (I do not pray/worship anymore) but happens often when I close my eyes and go inward, or when I listen to music I really like.

I wondered if others here have that experience and when/how it happens.

I did a google search and found a (series of) blog entry that listed explainations and think it is quite interesting and I would like to know more about it.

I have compiled all the answers I received and below you will see a list of what most people gave as an explanation. They overlap:
  1. Sensing an entity / presence in the vicinity / spirits
  2. The ability to sense Life Force in you
  3. The ability to sense / channel Life Force energies around you
  4. Flushing / in ancient times, they called this an annointment (Saint Teresa of Avila wrote about it in her memoirs) / releasing debris
  5. Cleansing of your chakras
  6. Indicating the beginnings of a Kundalini awakening
Conclusion On The Tingling, GooseBumps, Goose Bumpy, Static Electric Sensation | Seeking and Finding Wholeness

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
it happens to me sometimes, mostly when i'm content, but sometimes out of nowhere a"surge"goes through me

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have that sometimes when I listen to certain songs, but I think I have to be in a certain mood to feel it, it doesn`t always work. I also sometimes notice it when I`m together with someone very important to me (it can be anyone really, family, friends, etc.), but it has to be just the two of us, it doesn`t work when we`re with a group of people. It doesn`t really matter whether we talk or not, just being together feels good. It`s worth noting that whenever I have those waves running through me, I feel perfectly centered and calm/serene; I could call it 'present', if you know what I mean.

I haven`t managed to feel it with meditation yet, but that`s probably not far off, provided I keep doing it. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it happens to me sometimes, mostly when i'm content, but sometimes out of nowhere a"surge"goes through me
"surge" is very good here. On the lightest scale, it feels like a warm blanket/hug. Sometimes, if I feel the energy coming on and I'm sitting alone, I'll close my eyes and try to connect with it more, and even powerful surges and waves come. It feels like endorphins are released in my body and sometimes it can be very intense, yet always pleasant. When it is the strongest I sometimes wonder if that's what people feel like when they are on drugs like heroin or escasy. I wouldn't konw.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I associate that with emotions also, but also with a temporary heightening of control of the law of attraction. I've found that I'm able to prolong the feeling by dwelling on whatever is causing it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to think I could give myself goosebumps, because it was predictable when they were coming in and all I had to do was initiate it.

A lot of times it works the other way though as to when I go really internal (perhaps brooding), then my body cringes and I make a noise. I know the noise is genuine because I wouldn't have allowed myself to cringe or anything at all if I bite my cheek, hold in my lip, and basically lock up the body in a frozen drone. I think I release the energy by just biting my nails in self-consciousness.
Some people have seen me do it in person though. I used to tap on my neck in a repeated pattern to like refocus.

As for addictions. If it is associated with emotions, then I can see why I may crave it.
It works with breathing too. It's like all my pours may open up to allow breath into my lungs. Because in how I sit hunched, I don't naturally breath much but some stolen air.

I assume it is something very sensitive, which makes it a risk. As in whenever it does happen, one is on the line over closing up what happens to them. So I hardly ever share it, making me feel like i'm losing trust in my body.
Perhaps it is more prone to the INFP though because of the feelings. I can't really explain, but maybe preferring the feeling of intimacy rather then body contact. Therefore it is a personal drug. And so it is like the ability to manipulate (hopefully) prolonging feelings or exteriorizing them..

·
Registered
16,002 Posts
All. The. Friggin. Time.

Also... if there's something weird going on in the environment or something weird on TV, I'll shudder.

Very, very. very. very sensitive, I am, that's all I can say. Isolation is very comforting to me because I can quiet things down due to only me being in the room. Well, also 3 dogs and a quiet husband.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I get that all the time around my special one. She doesn't have to touch me or say anything, though it is much stronger when she does. It is the strongest around her when we sing together in the church choir. I don't just hear her voice, I feel it, and the energy that fills me is incredible. That combined with a touch (we are kinda crowded up there), and the energy is beyond expression. She has felt it, too. It is very healing, comforting, and those are my favourite moments.

I also feel it quite powerfully when I pray from my heart.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I'd like to think it was life force/chakra that caused that, but I'm on the same boat with the others who tie it to emotions. I very much do love the feeling, nonetheless. I get them probably 10-15 times a day. Music usually does it for me. I've noticed the biggest ones I get are from those slight breezes of wind that feel so good on your skin on a nice, sunny, warm day. Those are the ones that make me feel they are more than just emotions.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
From time to time I experience waves of warmth/energy in my body which are accompanied by goosebumps. It all started in my teens when I did a lot of prayer and worship. It continues to this day (I do not pray/worship anymore) but happens often when I close my eyes and go inward, or when I listen to music I really like.

I wondered if others here have that experience and when/how it happens.

I did a google search and found a (series of) blog entry that listed explainations and think it is quite interesting and I would like to know more about it.

Conclusion On The Tingling, GooseBumps, Goose Bumpy, Static Electric Sensation | Seeking and Finding Wholeness
Emotions are always associated with physical experiences. Why else would they also be called "Feelings"? What ever you feel, it's always a physical experience in your body. You can't feel bad and have a neutral sensation of your body. You can't feel good and have a neutral sensation of your body.

So your brain has associated certain kinds of experiences with physical experiences. The stronger these associations are, the easier it is to create these physical experiences without the need to actually experience it for real. Just imagining it can create the physical experience. Actors are very good at this. (Good actors that is.)

This is all there is to it. You are able to create a feeling in your body by just imagining something (or remembering or what ever it is that you do to feel your body respond.) Once your body is experiencing that feeling, you created a loop where the physical experience is now re-enforcing the mental experience which is then intensifying the physical experience, etc.

It's not so difficult to understand actually, unless you prefer the religious/mystic explanations.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Emotions are always associated with physical experiences. Why else would they also be called "Feelings"? What ever you feel, it's always a physical experience in your body. You can't feel bad and have a neutral sensation of your body. You can't feel good and have a neutral sensation of your body.

So your brain has associated certain kinds of experiences with physical experiences. The stronger these associations are, the easier it is to create these physical experiences without the need to actually experience it for real. Just imagining it can create the physical experience. Actors are very good at this. (Good actors that is.)

This is all there is to it. You are able to create a feeling in your body by just imagining something (or remembering or what ever it is that you do to feel your body respond.) Once your body is experiencing that feeling, you created a loop where the physical experience is now re-enforcing the mental experience which is then intensifying the physical experience, etc.

It's not so difficult to understand actually, unless you prefer the religious/mystic explanations.
You sound very certain and "matter of fact" for something that is happening inside me. In the first paragraph I knew this was coming from a thinker. I looked, and behold, a judger too!

>>This is all there is to it.

>>It's not so difficult to understand actually..

Things are just so damn clear, are they? Must be nice.

This isn't a sitution in which I'm trying to bring about some feeling. I could be standing at a street corner or sitting at a computer and it comes over me. There are times I want it to be there and it isn't.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I feel it a lot with music. It's not at all emotional, I just literally FEEL the music; it's awesome. :)

In my case, it could have to do with synesthesia, but I hadn't really thought about it before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, this is Ethan, the author that wrote the article about this sensation, from the website quoted in the first post in this thread.

I'm new on this forum.. I just joined because I liked this discussion and am impressed by the number of people who feel this sensation.

I don't know if it is purely emotional. Yes emotions accompany this feeling, but I dont know what comes first the feeling or the emotion, at times there is no emotion attached.

I also agree that music, a nice breeze, or smells will trigger this
also touch,
also cold weather/when feeling cold
also being sick
also during relaxation
during meditation
during hypnosis
during qigong
while praying..

.. but at times it happens for no apparent reason.

I am not sure how/where emotions come into play. When meditating there may be no emotions at all, the sensation itself makes me feel better or happier but doesn't always occur if i am happy.

We are talking about 2 things that cannot really be quantified here, or measured so.. it makes this discussion a spiritual or experiential one.

I sometimes think this sensation is always there, all I have to do is relax and shift my attention to feel it.

At times I wonder if the sensation I feel due to music is similar but different to the one I feel from a nice breeze or deep relaxation/ meditation/ hypnosis.

Could this sensation be a sign of the presence of "life energy", and emotions are a side effect of this sensation... not vice-versa?

Thanks!
P.S. I'm super busy today/this whole week.. thus, may not be able to respond to comments in a timely manner.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
You sound very certain and "matter of fact" for something that is happening inside me. In the first paragraph I knew this was coming from a thinker. I looked, and behold, a judger too!

>>This is all there is to it.

>>It's not so difficult to understand actually..

Things are just so damn clear, are they? Must be nice.

This isn't a sitution in which I'm trying to bring about some feeling. I could be standing at a street corner or sitting at a computer and it comes over me. There are times I want it to be there and it isn't.
Yes it is nice. :happy:

So it happens to you in situations you can't predict. That's not so strange. Actually it's to be expected. Those associations I mentioned are very strong inside you. Your brain might be seeing something, or more likely, a series of observations and thoughts (concious or not) that through your Ne result in an association that brings about an experience. Just because you´re not conciously aware of all those observations and thoughts doesn't mean it wasn't you (your brain) that created the feeling.

Brain see much more than the owner is aware of. If you take that as a truth, and you use your memory about everthing you experienced, say in the hour leading up to a feeling like that, you may be able to understand where it came from. The better you understand, the easier it becomes to make it happen when ever you want.

And it also gives peace when you understand better where it comes from.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Just to add, even though I am an INTJ, I have these kinds of experiences too. And I can always explain them, and create them if I want to. Actually, not always. If I'm upset or otherwise have my mind somewhere else then it won't work. I'm not just describing something theoretically here. I know what you are talking about.

I also have a reasonable knowledge about how the brain works. Not the detailed biological processes but the general temporal hierarchical processes and with this knowledge and some extrapolation it's pretty easy to understand how these things work. And it's nothing spiritual. But when you can't explain it, it feels like that I guess. But then again, God for example was always blamed for things until we understood what was going on. That's always been the case and there is no reason for this to be any different now.

But ofcourse, these kinds of explanations aren't half as much fun as the spiritual explanations because it's conclusive and then you can't talk about it anymore. But if you take it to another level and try to really understand what's going on, you may find you´re capable of things you couldn't even have imagined before.

·
Registered
INFP
1,484 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. I don't get them at specific times, though. They've just happened to me frequently and randomly for as far back as I can remember. My mom gets them, too; we've talked about it before. (Just to put it out there, she's an ESFJ.)

I honestly have no idea why it happens, but I have always assumed there was a simple scientific explanation for it.

What Peter has been posting seems like a more likely explanation, at least in regards to my experiences. No offense is meant to anyone else who speculates. I just don't think there's anything special behind what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I get that a lot when I listen to Tool :O
Other than that I often get it when I sense the beauty in a certain situation, like a movie.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
eh...I'm open to verifying your theories, you're so certain of, if you have evidence or proof to back them up with. Some type of reproducable action(s) to verify what you're saying is true would be adequate. Just sounds like a perspective of a rationalist and some fancy talking to me.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts