Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am absolutely positive I am an INFJ. There are times when I've felt that I was an INTJ, especially when I interact with extroverted feeler types, but in conclusion: I am an INFJ. I also started a thread a while back (earlier in the summer), but I tend to use the preferences of an ISTJ under extreme stress (as do many of the other INFJs that posted on there). However, even when I use my "T" preferences, those around me still say I am a pretty strong INFJ in my behavior. (examples: "I have to do this for class, but I don't feel like it!! boo :[.

I also relate a LOT (a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot) to the INFJ thread and since I found PC, I'm absolutely positive I'm an INFJ. But the thing is, one of my professors typed me as an ESTJ!!! uh..... yeah. I'm bewildered as to how that type could even be one of the types I am typed as. I am so high on my introverted preferences (high 80s/90s). I work closely with a lot of my old professors, and I've only discussed MBTI with two of them, because they first brought it up in class or discussion or something. One of them thought I was ESTJ (or an ISTJ with very extroverted tendencies).

So weird. Anyway, have you guys ever been typed as an ESTJ?! LOL. or anything else for that matter?

Just wanted to share any funny experiences other INFJs may have had with this. Type doesn't really matter, but it's interesting to observe and/or understand how I am perceived by others & was wondering about fellow INFJs' experiences with this as well. :)

·
Registered
INFP
1,265 Posts
Well maybe that person didn't understand the MBTI or saw you in a setting where you were more outgoing/using your inferior function.

-If the professor saw you only when you were with friend maybe that would be why he would of typed you E or if you ask a lot of questions.
-Maybe you just happened to have used Se infront of him, in theory INFJs and INTJs use that function as well.

It's always a question of perception. How he understands the theory and how he applies it to real life.

Anyway, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm pretty sure I am IN_J. I'm just not sure which letter fills that gap. Maybe it's (L+M)/2 that would be right in the middle!

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
So, I am absolutely positive I am an INFJ. There are times when I've felt that I was an INTJ, especially when I interact with extroverted feeler types, but in conclusion: I am an INFJ. I also started a thread a while back (earlier in the summer), but I tend to use the preferences of an ISTJ under extreme stress (as do many of the other INFJs that posted on there). However, even when I use my "T" preferences, those around me still say I am a pretty strong INFJ in my behavior. (examples: "I have to do this for class, but I don't feel like it!! boo :[.

I also relate a LOT (a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot) to the INFJ thread and since I found PC, I'm absolutely positive I'm an INFJ. But the thing is, one of my professors typed me as an ESTJ!!! uh..... yeah. I'm bewildered as to how that type could even be one of the types I am typed as. I am so high on my introverted preferences (high 80s/90s). I work closely with a lot of my old professors, and I've only discussed MBTI with two of them, because they first brought it up in class or discussion or something. One of them thought I was ESTJ (or an ISTJ with very extroverted tendencies).

So weird. Anyway, have you guys ever been typed as an ESTJ?! LOL. or anything else for that matter?

Just wanted to share any funny experiences other INFJs may have had with this. Type doesn't really matter, but it's interesting to observe and/or understand how I am perceived by others & was wondering about fellow INFJs' experiences with this as well. :)
The way people behave at work (or in school which is similar) is not always their natural way and when you´re comfotable in a place you may be perceived as more extroverted. Keep in mind that the way you are at school is all a teacher sees. If he's already not that experienced with the MBTI a mistake is easily made. And besides that, it's pretty difficult to type other people.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, ESTJs are awesome. :) I get along really well with my xSTJ friends.

and Mestarious, I agree that he probably only saw me while I was using my inferior functions in class - debating/bringing up issues, hanging out with my class mates before and after lecture, etc. Then again, I wonder if with most people I know, I only use certain functions, hence portray myself in a different light than I know myself as.

I've always been really intrigued at how others perceive or see me. I think this is because I'm always very keen and observant of others' presence, so I sometimes pause and wonder, "Hm, how about the other way?" Anyway, this was an interesting encounter for me. :) And I hope you get a chance to figure out that letter! It really helped for me to find PC and be around other like minded individuals I could really relate well to.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello :) Well, I was typed as ESTJ years ago and was so young I thought, well it must be right. I didn't really think so, though. Then I met more and more people over the years who fitted so incredibly well into their type description - almost magically - so I started looking into it more and more. Now I realise I am definitely an NF of some kind. Most likely an INFP (though not a strongly introverted one) and thus ESTJ is my polar opposite!!! I have thought much about the reason for this and think it could be that as NF's we tend to always be trying to self improve and so are often consciously developing our weaker functions (and thinking really we OUGHT to), especially if they are functions valued by those around us, parents, school, social group etc. It can be quite hard for NF's - who are good at fitting in with and appreciating the ways/values of those around - to know their true selves well enough to answer a test correctly. Perhaps the best way to find your type, if you are an NF, is to do it via the cognitive processes route. I am interested though, what is it that makes you so SURE you are an INFJ - what is so characteristic about them that you relate to??

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Kate:

I am not sure if I could answer this question in a post, but I have always been sure I was an INFJ. I took the test, the description fit, and I related to all the functions they described. Until I got to know MBTI better, however, I was confused about how I use my inferior functions. For example, in school and work, I tend to display the tendencies of an INTJ, and sometimes to an extent, an ISTJ. But other than that, I have always been sure I am an INFJ.

No one could really tell you the exact characteristic that gave them a "Eureka!" moment. I believe that it's more of the process of understanding the MBTI better perhaps? It helped to be on the PC forum, because I relate to how other INFJs think and just how they relate to life in general. It was on the PC forum that I started to understand the different functions better, but still, I am not the expert on this. There are a lot of INFJs on here that are very insightful though. :) Perhaps starting a thread specifically on this would be helpful to you? Otherwise, I'd advise you to just stick around, go through the posts, and see if you could relate well to one type or another. Type is really determined only by you.

I hope my post was not confusing or anything. The reason I posted this, was mainly because I am intrigued to learn about how others perceive me. Inwardly, I know I am an INFJ (100%!), but I always like to understand how others perceive me. This is because I'm always very observant and perceptive of others' presence, so I wonder on the other hand how they see me. :)

HTH

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
One of those online tests typed me as a "wannabe" ESTJ rather than actually typing me as one, so I can relate somewhat. I put it down to trying to self-project a sense of action and order in my life, so stressing over issues of stability and getting something done maybe. May also have something to do with the INFJ shadow functions plus added judgment or something like that.

·
Registered
INFP
1,265 Posts
Your avatar proves you are an NF...
Of course if you only go by avatar, most people would think I'm drifting away in the ISTJ boat.

My avatar is not to be taken literally, just think Africa is a place with a lot of problems and problem solvers personality could be really put to go use over there. Besides Africa is a really nice continent, so many countries (struggle to know all of them by heart, tried to do it for fun but no dice), a lot of interesting cultures. I also think there might be a bit of hope for them as time passes and more people try to make a difference over there.

I also realize that I use the word "think" way to much even if my brain is not working lol

curious0610:
Thank you for your kind word, hopefully I will settle on one type at some point. If not, I'll remain forever in the darkness of the unknown :crying:

Btw I really enjoy your posts :happy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts