Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found the book of Fyodor Dostoyevsky "Crime and Punishments" to be a real appetizer

To the field of science I have found that the book "Fear of Physics" to be a real zen koan of information

The website https://www.academia.edu/ to be stacked with the most authentic ,original and most delightful of all oysters to be found on the net

what websites,books,workings,people would you recommend for our fellow Gourmets of information?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
If you cant connect the two why bother asking?
Literature is a collection of written works, yes, and science may be contained inside of it, but I do not see literature as a science.

Let me rephrase my original question: "Why do you think literature is a science?", what am I not understanding here?

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
that your question is illogical to a degree that it almost makes you look really retarded
I'm sorry you feel offended or even defensive about my question, but I was simply asking for you to answer it. There is no need for you to dance around it and insult me rather than answering my original question.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry you feel offended or even defensive about my question, but I was simply asking for you to answer it. There is no need for you to dance around it and insult me rather than answering my original question.
oh i'm not insulting you, rather you might say i'm showing you the path to the answers of your questions indirectly, thats just how I do things, Look at the starting point then the process then make your numerous conclusions then use your intuition to guide you to the perfect answer

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
oh i'm not insulting you, rather you might say i'm showing you the path to the answers of your questions indirectly, thats just how I do things, Look at the starting point then the process then make your numerous conclusions then use your intuition to guide you to the perfect answer
Regardless, using retarded in that sense isn't really nice, it's also offensive in the sense that many forum members have a family member that is retarded or know someone who is.
It's best to refrain from such usage of a word.

That's an interesting point of view; I'm still unsure as to what you mean. Do you mean erasing the original definition?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regardless, using retarded in that sense isn't really nice, it's also offensive in the sense that many forum members have a family member that is retarded or know someone who is.
It's best to refrain from such usage of a word.

That's an interesting point of view; I'm still unsure as to what you mean. Do you mean erasing the original definition?
specify on the things you dont understand

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
specify on the things you dont understand
"Look at the starting point then the process then make your numerous conclusions then use your intuition to guide you to the perfect answer"
"Look at the starting point": What do you mean? The prompt? The definition?
"The process then make your numerous conclusions": Do you mean understanding how the system works and then making an assumption of it?
"Use your intuition to guide you to the perfect answer": This is actually rather subjective because I believe someone would find different answers depending on their own, individual, beliefs. Is that similar to what you mean?

·
Banned
4,831 Posts
Bnova, cut the passive-aggressive crap. Literature is not science.

Your perspective appears to source from books that can stimulate the intellect and with reference to Fear of Physics, perhaps help the non-STEM leaning types, learn to enjoy the ultimate STEM field of physics which has been plated in the manner that might appeal for consumption.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Look at the starting point then the process then make your numerous conclusions then use your intuition to guide you to the perfect answer"
"Look at the starting point": What do you mean? The prompt? The definition?
"The process then make your numerous conclusions": Do you mean understanding how the system works and then making an assumption of it?
"Use your intuition to guide you to the perfect answer": This is actually rather subjective because I believe someone would find different answers depending on their own, individual, beliefs. Is that similar to what you mean?
1.Definition
2.you got it right
3.they will find the answer evens if they differ you will be able to see their view point because you both used similar methods toward getting your answer

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,678 Posts
Well this thread went downhill fast.

There are two discrete and mutually exclusive definitions of "science". The older is simply "field of intellectual skill or knowledge" (cf. the root, Latin sciens, scientis, "knowledge", from scio, scire, "to know" -- by way, most likely, of Middle French). Under this definition most arts are indeed sciences, as the creation of an artwork does indeed involve a certain skill- and knowledge-set that e.g. a blacksmith doesn't have. This definition, however, is obsolescent and rarely found outside of a couple of closed artistic circles.

The second, more modern definition is "field of empirical knowledge gained through the experimental method". Under this definition fields such as physics, chemistry, and geology are sciences; literature, art, languages, etc. are not. Maintaining the precision of this definition is important, as psuedosciences constantly hawk at the pickets, wanting to be let in. Occasionally they are; eugenics was once, for example, considered a valid science. But the empirical focus and experimental method are important. Karl Popper explains why well.

Wittgenstein -- I think it was -- maintained that philosophical problems are language problems first and foremost; that once all the cross-communication had been sorted out, most philosophical problems would be easily sorted out. This is exactly that sort of problem. @Bnova is using an older definition of "science"; @Slagathor is reacting with the more common modern one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@knife it would seem you know of the "old school" science...I find the science of today to be rather unique but it definitely wouldn't have gotten there if it wasnt for the old sciences...

but what I'd like to know is which modern style of science work do you like and which piece of the old science branch do you like?

(gonna try and rebuild this thread)

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,678 Posts
@knife it would seem you know of the "old school" science...I find the science of today to be rather unique but it definitely wouldn't have gotten there if it wasnt for the old sciences...

but what I'd like to know is which modern style of science work do you like and which piece of the old science branch do you like?

(gonna try and rebuild this thread)
I think you're probably right we need a new generalized term for field of knowledge (swipes Kennheit* from the Germans)

People who know me will and know what I do for a living will know that under the category of "arts" I prefer literature (in the generalized meaning, as in "stuff published"). Under the sciences proper, I've always particularly enjoyed geology -- there's something seductively simple about the core geological insights, which I find highly appealing.
* Or possibly Wissenschaft. Technically, Kennheit applies to a more familiar or intimate knowledge, and is (distantly) related to cognizance and much more closely modern English knowledge and to know. Wissenschaft, from German wissen, preserves the more analytical edge of Latin scire and is cognate with wise, for example. But Wissenshaft is more foreign to the English ear than Kennheit.

Reactions: Bnova

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you're probably right we need a new generalized term for field of knowledge (swipes Kennheit* from the Germans)

People who know me will and know what I do for a living will know that under the category of "arts" I prefer literature (in the generalized meaning, as in "stuff published"). Under the sciences proper, I've always particularly enjoyed geology -- there's something seductively simple about the core geological insights, which I find highly appealing.
* Or possibly Wissenschaft. Technically, Kennheit applies to a more familiar or intimate knowledge, and is (distantly) related to cognizance and much more closely modern English knowledge and to know. Wissenschaft, from German wissen, preserves the more analytical edge of Latin scire and is cognate with wise, for example. But Wissenshaft is more foreign to the English ear than Kennheit.
Now that's what I call exquisite taste :D!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm always amused by new members who try to post as if they are the gods of knowledge. Soon enough they'll realize nobody here gives a shit. :happy:
Sounds like youre speaking from experience

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am. I have experience in not giving a shit.
Cute..so tell me since you are an "elite" memeber do you think its right that you voice your opinions on others? Does being an "elite" make you any better than the new members on PerC and not giving a shit actually gives the correct person the correct image of what you truly are, a troll ;) and I bet you "don't give a shit" of this quote that's just how fragile and cute you are ;) in the future keep your opinions of others to yourself and stop Dead Poodling on my threads for they are pieces of art ...if you can't contribute to the country what use are you? If you can't contribute to humanity what does that make you? A shitless giving troll :D have a nice day Dead Poodling the Troll :D its nice to meet an "elite" :p

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Cute..so tell me since you are an "elite" memeber do you think its right that you voice your opinions on others? Does being an "elite" make you any better than the new members on PerC and not giving a shit actually gives the correct person the correct image of what you truly are, a troll ;) and I bet you "don't give a shit" of this quote that's just how fragile and cute you are ;) in the future keep your opinions of others to yourself and stop Dead Poodling on my threads for they are pieces of art ...if you can't contribute to the country what use are you? If you can't contribute to humanity what does that make you? A shitless giving troll :D have a nice day Dead Poodling the Troll :D its nice to meet an "elite" :p

It's been proven that venting anger makes you more emotionally healthy. Trolls provide opportunities to vent that anger, so we do, in fact, provide something to the country. Also, Elite on PerC means "has no life". You know, like a troll. ;D

And thanks for calling me cute. Your mom is, too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts