Personality Cafe banner

Graceful Intuitives???

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Devrim 
#1 ·
I just read in the book Speed Reading People that gracefulness is a trait more common with Sensors because they are more in their body. On the other hand, intuitives are more often in their heads, not paying attention to how their body moves, and often even trip or run into things. The book said there are graceful intuitives, but they are the exception. I have always been told that I move gracefully and I am a strong intuitive.

Any other intuitives feel that they are in their bodies fairly well? Anyone else know why this might be?
Thanks!

#2 ·
I wouldn't really know whether I'm graceful or not, I certainly do run into things and bump things from time to time, I don't trip often though and although I walk barefoot a lot I feel like my feet are ....well blessed because I almost never step on anything I wouldn't want to. In any case people have told me I look like I'm floating when I walk, but mostly I put that down to the long swishy skirts. I speculate it depends partly on whether I'm paying attention to how I move (which I often do, though not always) or if I'm trying to blend in and look 'homely' I guess is how I think of it. Like.... I've always enjoyed feeling a slight dancy-ness when I'm doing stuff, or striking a pose that feels....pretty/interesting/well composed when I'm just standing or sitting, but I have two forms of self conscious - consciously enjoying being aware of myself, and the more traditional sense of feeling like others are watching me and being embarrassed. When embarrased I am much more awkward physically. When comfortably absorbed in myself I think I tend more toward grace, though not always successfully as I do get distracted in thoughts and miscalculate where things are around me and such.

some further thoughts on grace, because I do think about it - follow-through is a big part of it I think, as well as the concept I heard somewhere in a slightly different context of 'caramel eyes' like your eyes are stuck looking at someone while you turn your head, only this is with your hands and feet, Let your hand trail off something, as you move forward let one foot stay attached to the spot, gradually peeling off till just your toe is attached before it breaks away completely. leaning into a landing continueing with your momentum is also more gracefull than coming to an abrupt halt. stretching/leaning exaggeratedly to reach something while counterballancing with outstretched arm or leg in the other direction also appears more gracefull I think. Or turning only part of yourself so there is a more damatic effect of stretching, to see or reach something somehow looks more gracefull I think than the more normal way of doing things I guess. I find I often naturally stand in vaguely ballet poses, my feet usually pointing opposite directions, or one leg stretched out, I point my toes a lot too, just because it feels good to do so. I dunno. I really don't want to sound like I think I am really gracefull, just that..... I feeeeel it in me, the potential to be so, even if I reign it in, or even if I'm distracted or less agile than I think I am and don't really pull it off.

#3 ·
I used to do martial arts and people said I picked things up pretty quickly. Perhaps because you have to be mindful of your physiology in order to perform well in martial arts based on aliveness, and combined with N lateral thinking I saw how actions and principles could be synthesized.

But because I am habitually engrossed in lateral thinking and imagination (my concise explanation of N) I'm not mindful of the information to senses, and am an HSP - generally I can be clumsy.

But since last summer I've become more and more interested in mindfulness, specifically directed towards sensation, and being in tune with my physiology as well as my cognition is a fulfilling experience.

For a very interesting and insightful story of a graceful NF check out the short autobiography; Gravity never stops by Ron Sieh.

And try to get a copy of the ultimate fighter season 12 and keep your eye on INTP John Danaher and INFP Jonathan Brookins.

#4 ·
Aelthwyn I know what you mean about enjoying the "dance-like" feeling as you move in general. Unless I'm really preoccupied, I find myself doing that, too. It is neat to know that someone else thinks about these things just with their general movements. I find myself catching myself if I lurch awkwardly by moving with it, as well, rather than stopping short. I was just surprised to read that intuitives aren't usually graceful when I would think because the N part makes us pay more attention to our own processes. Or maybe that is more introversion... Perhaps it is more likely, then, that a graceful intuitive would be introverted because they're paying more attention to themselves and less of the world around them?

Strangestdude thank you for the book and movie reference! I will definitely check those out. I have also done martial arts and I picked it all up really fast, too. I find that once I can picture the action clearly in my head, which I think is what you were saying, I can make my body do it fairly easily. It's when I can't picture it that I have a hard time making my body respond, but more often than not seeing someone else do something I automatically figure out how to move my body in the same way. You think this is more due to the N, imagination and lateral thinking, than the I observation of inward processes and sense of self? (I may be generalizing the I a bit too much)

#5 ·
Aelthwyn I know what you mean about enjoying the "dance-like" feeling as you move in general. Unless I'm really preoccupied, I find myself doing that, too. It is neat to know that someone else thinks about these things just with their general movements.
It's kind of interesting to me that when people aren't watching me, but I'm 'watching' myself I act a lot different than when others are around to see me, because then I feel like they will think I'm being pretentious or trying to get attention or just being too unconventional so I make myself 'act normal'. On my own it's just always something I've done though, which maybe has something to do with idealism and wanting beauty everywhere in everyday life. My inner idea of myself is of something gracefull, an elf, a princess, something like that, so I guess it's a small way I can live that out. I also have a tendency to stand on my tip-toes a lot, not necesaily making myself taller, just.... 'springy-er' is what I'd call it, and I think that also seems to make for more gracefull movement - walking more on your toes than your heals.

Also, I agree that perhaps introverts are more aware of themselves personally which might facilitate consciously monitoring one's movements among other things, though, who knows on that.

I find that once I can picture the action clearly in my head, which I think is what you were saying, I can make my body do it fairly easily. It's when I can't picture it that I have a hard time making my body respond, but more often than not seeing someone else do something I automatically figure out how to move my body in the same way.
That's really interesting that you picture it. For me it's more like..... feeeeling it first. Feeling it in my muscles like a tiny signal or elecrtic current running through, as if practicing in small scale the movement, imagining what it feels like to move that way. Perhaps also relating other imagined motion-sensations, like imagining how it feels to be a coiled up ribbon unfurling before(or as I'm doing it) extenting my arm outwards in a flowing 'unfurling' motion.

#12 ·
Well, I am a dancer - so I CAN be very graceful. But there are a lot of moments when I am very distracted and am definitely not. I make up for it by painting a bullseye on it - saying that, of Grace and Charm, if I had to pick one, I would pick Charm... with my hit and miss Grace, this comes off just fine.

Reactions: sunaqua
#14 ·
@Aelthwyn i also do a jumpy floating dance type walk when i walk. I try to look more "normal" (whatever that is) around people, but i don't think it works. When i'm not paying attention i think i walk badly though, and i have bad posture, and unless tripping on a flat surface or bumping into walls and doors is graceful i definitely wouldn't call myself graceful in any way.

On the other hand i have always admired gracefulness, and wish i could fly or be a ballerina or something. But i'm unable to let go of tension around others so i don't know about that.

#16 ·
I'm an awful klutz. My best friend, who isn't even a sensor, has saved me from being hit by a car several times and once told me that when I use my dominant hand, it looks to other people like I'm using my other hand. I don't think I'm comfortable in my own skin. Then again, I do have an ESFP friend who was notorious for her klutzy moments. She once ran into a sideways shopping kart. So I think it might be a universal thing with intuitives being more likely to be awkward.

#17 ·
n the other hand, intuitives are more often in their heads, not paying attention to how their body moves, and often even trip or run into things. The book said there are graceful intuitives, but they are the exception. I have always been told that I move gracefully and I am a strong intuitive.

Any other intuitives feel that they are in their bodies fairly well? Anyone else know why this might be?
I do have my head in the clouds most of the time but when I'm close to bumping in to something or someone I save myself with a graceful move. I have quite good agility and body control since I practise martial arts.

I think I often move relatively gracefully and elegant, but I also have a certain randomness and eccentricity. I often dance around a bit.

#18 ·
I do have my head in the clouds most of the time but when I'm close to bumping in to something or someone I save myself with a graceful move. I have quite good agility and body control since I practise martial arts.
What's your art(s) bra?

#20 ·
This is pretty funny. I am not graceful at all. I run into things, all the time. I am what you would call clumsy. I have two scars on my forehead and on my chin from running into stuff. For some reason my right leg is what runs into stuff the most. There are several chronic bruises on there.. :laughing:

I do appreciate gracefulness in others. But at the same time when I see another person is clumsy it makes me laugh. I know that I am in my head way too much, and then when I have to consciously present my body with grace, it feels kind of awkward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.