Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know how smart INFPs are! Do you find you have above average intelligence most of the time? What marks/grades do you usually get in school, whether you're in high school or university or something else? Or, if you've taken an IQ test, what is your IQ? I'd love to find out.

For your information, I have not taken any official IQ tests, but averaging out the ones I have taken, I would guess my IQ would be somewhere around 120-130.

As for my grades in school, I generally get somewhere within 80-100%, and I'm currently in high school. In junior high, I managed to pull off getting the highest overall academic average in my grade, all 3 years (gr.7-9).

So how are smart are you, fellow INFPs? :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hate talking about my IQ, because it sounds like I'm bragging. It's higher than the average and I'm not going to say how much. However, I don't think it means a lot about someone's intelligence. Open-mindness and such also count in my definition of being smart.

As for grades... I usually have between 80-90%. Not higher, because in my school it's nearly impossible, as it means "above perfection" and perfection can't be reach.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm ENFP.

My IQ was 138 when I tested in second grade or so. I then was able to get into a weekly class called ABLES, for us above-average-intelligence kids. Yes, we were geeks.

I really think I can do anything I put my mind to. And that's not because of my IQ, persee, but because I believe that with enough motivation and willpower, anything is possible.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
^ I also believe that

My marks were top of the year until I reached high school, when I attending regularly and putting in any effort. I was in the gifted classes, but blah blah blah, I hated school, I hated the curriculum, I didn't like most of the teachers, I thought most of the rules were bullshit, I hated it how it was only sportsmen who got any recognition, and my classmates were the icing on the cake that stopped me turning up and trying.

I've never taken an IQ test but I agree with the people who say that it's not an accurate measure of intelligence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what I've read, N's have a higher chance of having a high IQ, I's have the next highest chance, then T has higher chance then F by like 2%, and J's are practically the same as P's. So, seems like it measures certain cognitive preferences, while completely ignoring others.

I scored somewhere between 140 and 150 on my IQ test... but I didn't even make top 50% of my graduating class on my GPA. I think my GPA was 73%.

I was in all gifted classes, but I skipped all my classes and wandered around the school with a fake hall pass, walking into random classes to listen to random lectures, or went to the computer lab to play games with friends, or I'd go outside and stare at the clouds while laying in the grass. This was literally everyday, on average I went to one or two of my scheduled eight classes a day, and even if I had the same teacher for two different classes, I would only go to one of the classes.

I miss high school... as long as I had a counter strategy for whatever consequence for breaking whatever rule, I had complete freedom. My physics teacher even gave me the administrator password for the entire school network, so I could do whatever I wanted on any computer. Those were the good 'ole days.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Back in high-school I scored in the top 10% on SAT's, national average. My grades are always in the tank though, hard to keep me interested in subjects I already know a lot about or consider irrelevant.

Folks used to call me a lazy genius. I still am :laughing:

·
Registered
565 Posts
i don't know. i used to get consistent and easy As without effort, i can't remember a time when i ever put effort in actually :confused:

IQ? i don't know, i don't believe it to be at all an appropriate measure of intelligence. i can never even begin to concentrate on the logic-heavy subjects like Maths/Science etc i know i could easily do them but i don't. i definitely am smarter than most people, my problem with high school subjects is it is all about regurgitating what the teacher says, doing as you are told and running around in circles using complex formulae, be organised...but it is intellectually simple, thus i have no interest.

my mother says that i am "too smart for school", i don't know if i should believe her...:blushed:

·
Registered
458 Posts
IQ-tests are outdated. Internet IQ tests are often inaccurate and unreliable. They will usually give you a higher score than what you're supposed to, many do this because it increases the chance of you buying one of their services/products. The questions are different than the ones you will get on a real test, the internet tests are also much shorter.

Sure, it can give you a certain indication of how "smart" you are, but don't look at the actual number alone. Instead, compare it to how other people did on the same test, that should give you a certain idea of where you are on the "IQ-scale".

I'm sure that the majority of personalitycafe have higher than average IQ, but I doubt (m)any of you have as high IQ as you claim. Even 130+ is quite rare.

And besides, like someone mentioned earlier in this thread. IQ isn't a very good way of measuring overall intelligence. It's a good way of measuring problem solving skills, mathematical skills and spatial intelligence. Some also measure short term memory. It does not measure things like creativity or musical affinity for example.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
IQ-tests are outdated. Internet IQ tests are often inaccurate and unreliable. They will usually give you a higher score than what you're supposed to, many do this because it increases the chance of you buying one of their services/products. The questions are different than the ones you will get on a real test, the internet tests are also much shorter.

Sure, it can give you a certain indication of how "smart" you are, but don't look at the actual number alone. Instead, compare it to how other people did on the same test, that should give you a certain idea of where you are on the "IQ-scale".

I'm sure that the majority of personalitycafe have higher than average IQ, but I doubt (m)any of you have as high IQ as you claim. Even 130+ is quite rare.

And besides, like someone mentioned earlier in this thread. IQ isn't a very good way of measuring overall intelligence. It's a good way of measuring problem solving skills, mathematical skills and spatial intelligence. Some also measure short term memory. It does not measure things like creativity or musical affinity for example.
Yeah.. I am gonna have to agree with you there. Most people are between 100-110, that is average. Below 70 is retarded if I remember correctly. I am above average with a 116.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Statistics show INFPs in the top 4 MBTI types for IQ scores (introverted intuitives seem to do the best on IQ tests). I think we're usually right behind INTJs and INTPs and followed by INFJs.

INFPs are also shown to be "over-represented" in higher education, meaning there's a high percentage of us who go to college/university compared to the overall population. I think this illustrates that we tend to have an academic sort of intelligence, or to be "book smart". We grasp theory and concept well, which gives in edge in that kind of learning. I mentioned in another thread that Fi is a rational function that evaluates, and that's powerful for critical thinking; Ne just adds to our ability to distinguish pattern and readily grasp new ideas.

Most profiles support that INFPs are intellectually inclined, having interests and talents in the realms of language, writing, visual art, psychology, and music.

Personally, the academic part of school was easy for me, and I was above average. I had a harder time with the social aspects. Since you're asking for specifics (NOT posting this to brag), I graduted with a 4.0+ gpa in HS (weighted) and a 3.8+ in college. My SAT score was something like 1300, so not bad. I scored pretty evenly on verbal and math, but slightly higher on verbal. I also earned scholarship money by scoring in the top 1% percent of the state on standardized tests in HS. I like to joke that I am much better at school than life :laughing:.... :sad:

I took an IQ test in elementary school and was placed in a gifted program (GATE). I don't know what my score was though, but I'm guessing it had to be over 130 to be in the program. As an adult, I tend to test anywhere in the 130-140 range, depending on the test (none of which are very official). I also won spelling bees, but usually dropped out at the district level (and I didn't care about winning anything, haha). So I was kind of nerdy, but always more interested in art and music than anything else. My parents never pushed me, I was absent a lot, and frankly, I didn't try very hard. It was all pretty natural for me to do well in certain areas.

I went to a design college that was a bit, um, unconventional, and they didn't ask for SAT scores since artsy people are often not academic (think SPs...they focused on hands on learning); instead you had to pass their entrance exam, and they told me I scored the highest of anyone in 3 years, and second highest ever. That was nice, but it didn't help me get a job after graduating! :laughing: :dry:

So to offset all that, I will emphasize that I am a bit socially inept and despite my book smarts, I am not particularly successful in the typical ways most people measure success (money, job, relationships). I've heard people with IQs in the above average but not gifted range tend to be the happiest and most successful in life (successful being measured in the typical ways). Once you hit the gifted mark, you're actually more likely to become an "underachiever".

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm probably a B/C grade student, lowest I've had is a D, highest is an A*, and my IQ is 135. I took the Mensa test with my IQ being within the range of 130-150. I'm hoping to get a job within the Medical area, probably in orthopedics as I've had three operations so far, ones that have helped my life, otherwise I would have back problems, walking problems etc... and I'd just like to give something back. And while having that career, I'd like to continue my hobbies in art, english and music. That's a little bit of my general intelligence, even though I think intelligence isnt the only thing you need to succeed, you also need creativity. To be honest, I think I went off topic a bit :p

Reactions: TaylorS

·
Registered
458 Posts
Statistics show INFPs in the top 4 MBTI types for IQ scores (introverted intuitives seem to do the best on IQ tests). I think we're usually right behind INTJs and INTPs and followed by INFJs.

INFPs are also shown to be "over-represented" in higher education, meaning there's a high percentage of us who go to college/university compared to the overall population. I think this illustrates that we tend to have an academic sort of intelligence, or to be "book smart". We grasp theory and concept well, which gives in edge in that kind of learning. I mentioned in another thread that Fi is a rational function that evaluates, and that's powerful for critical thinking; Ne just adds to our ability to distinguish pattern and readily grasp new ideas.
I have actually seen the statistics. I think ENFPs score very high as well, but that's irrelevant. There's no doubt that INFPs are often very intelligent people and will score high on IQ tests. I just think some of the numbers that have been thrown out there are a bit ridiculous. Not really this thread in particular, I've seen it other places as well. Where people claim to have 180 IQ and stuff like that, it makes me laugh. (Inb4 you got trolled). It's highly unlikely that so many people have 130+ IQ (that goes for this thread too), there are always exceptions of course. You simply shouldn't put too much faith into online IQ tests. If people have actually scored as high as they claim on an IQ test at a psychologist or in the military, then congratulations, you're all brilliant.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I have actually seen the statistics. I think ENFPs score very high as well, but that's irrelevant. There's no doubt that INFPs are often very intelligent people and will score high on IQ tests. I just think some of the numbers that have been thrown out there are a bit ridiculous. Not really this thread in particular, I've seen it other places as well. Where people claim to have 180 IQ and stuff like that, it makes me laugh. (Inb4 you got trolled). It's highly unlikely that so many people have 130+ IQ (that goes for this thread too), there are always exceptions of course. You simply shouldn't put too much faith into online IQ tests. If people have actually scored as high as they claim on an IQ test at a psychologist or in the military, then congratulations, you're all brilliant.
I agree that online IQ tests are not accurate at all, and claims of very high scores seem ridiculous. However, people with higher IQs might be drawn to threads about it and more likely to post their IQ score. Considering that INxx comprise over half of the high IQ population (same source of stats....can't remember the site), then having a lot of INxx people report high IQs is not that unbelievable either.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My INFP sister is 15, her IQ is 127 and she generally gets As and Bs at school. She's a fanatstic writer, artist and musician. She's very smart, but doesn't really receive any recognition for it :frustrating:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I got mostly A's except in P.E. which ruined my grade point average. I only cared about my grades because I was jumping through hoops to please my parents. In college, when I wasn't living with my parents anymore, I skipped classes, didn't turn in my homework, and eventually dropped out. My IQ score when I was tested in high school was 145.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
47 Posts
Verbally im in the 98th percentile and mathamatically (working memory) im in the 38th percentile but overall my iq is 138. Not that it matters much. In college its more about how hard you work, ie, self discipline. I can get A and I can get Fs and have gotten both. I suck in math but I got a B in AP statistic in High school. I failed a writing class in college because I blew it off. Smarts aint nothin unless you got the will. Watch forest gump :d

·
Registered
467 Posts
I did well on the tests and things like that, got a 32 on the ACT which is like 98th percentile. I just have a hard time studying and it was never diagnosed but I think I have ADHD which makes studying and reading things incredibly difficult. I suppose that could be this side of me, the real me I never really show people. I try to be myself but the problem is that "myself" doesn't fit too well with most of the social dynamics I'm presented all the time, if that makes any sense at all. I hold no weight in materialistic things or the things I deem petty, which makes me come across as very off the wall a lot of the time. Does anyone else think they've really underachieved when it comes to academics because of this "dreamer" aspect of us? Academically, I got into West Point and Annapolis. But I think because my interests are so sporadic and off the wall, I have a hard time working through things I start.

I went on an intellectual crusade early in highschool, in an attempt to confront the challenges made to my Christian faith. I go back and forth on the concept almost daily, which I've found to be difficult because I can't even call myself an agnostic; I have no real worldview, which is EXTREMELY difficult. I was raised Christian but it never felt real. I challenged evolutionism on a gaming forum that I'm a part of, and that challenge is still going on in my mind. My introverted side can become very difficult when I go on what I guess I'd call mindtrails, I go into a zone where I am completely out of it and do nothing but sort of intellectually sort things out in my head, mostly metaphysical or philosophical ideas. It's what I hate most of all myself cause I wish I could just let it all go.

I hate when I throw this around because it makes me feel narcissitic, but, academically, I got into Annapolis and West Point. I'm not at either because I have high frequency hearing loss in one ear. It just sucks because it's what I really wanted to do and now I'm surrounded by kids doing drugs and stuff.

1 - 20 of 381 Posts