Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 381 Posts

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
but as I said earlier I really don't see what the ability to answer these sort of questions has to do with everyday lifehttp://www.intelligencetest.com/
Practicality is overrated :tongue:

It has to do with grasping concepts, seeing patterns quickly, and using logical thinking. Quickly determining the next number in a sequence demonstrates that ability. You see the pattern, you grasp the concept, and you figure out the next logical number based on your perceptions. The more difficult the sequence, the stronger those abilities must be to find the answer quickly.

That's why more INxx types and ENxx types score high on IQ tests than Sensors do. Ns often easily grasp what is implied over what directly stated and they trust those instincts more than a sensor will.

Conceptual & abstract thinking is very valuable in the real world, and more people need to realize that. It leads to innovation in the arts and sciences and progress in human relationships.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I certainly agree that abstractions/conceptual thinking is more dominantly utilized and excelled by intuits (not to say these styles of thinking are exceptional to sensors), thus placing intuits ahead of sensors along the IQ scale; only in relativity though, not everyone is a definite sensor since indicators define type in likeliness.

I'm concerned about the reliability in online IQ assessments also, everything can only be measured to an extent and the questions provided overlook the conditioning of a mind, the capacity of their knowledge, reasoning skills, expertise/knowledge in different subjects involved in the assessment etc.

It seems unrealistic to think this, but as a concept, perhaps scientists can arrange a gathering of sixteen different MBTI types (definite) to sit an IQ assessment. Each individual has the exact amount of sleep, energy (etc) as another and a certain time frame to complete certain tasks required for the preceding IQ assessment; and from there, each type is sectored into different rooms to complete the assessment under the same conditions.

Just a thought, but I'd like to see this sort of thing happen.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I'm concerned about the reliability in online IQ assessments also
The online ones are not very accurate, IMO. I think you need an officially administered test to really find out your IQ. Those tests are often given in controlled environments, and I imagine you would be advised to go into the test being mentally & physically prepared (ie. well-rested, having eaten, etc), kind of how they give SATs.

everything can only be measured to an extent and the questions provided overlook the conditioning of a mind, the capacity of their knowledge, reasoning skills, expertise/knowledge in different subjects involved in the assessment etc.
This is why a lot of people dislike IQ tests. They seem to only measure a certain kind of intelligence, & someone could train themselves to score well on the test, but not really possess the level of intelligence associated with that score.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The online ones are not very accurate, IMO. I think you need an officially administered test to really find out your IQ. Those tests are often given in controlled environments, and I imagine you would be advised to go into the test being mentally & physically prepared (ie. well-rested, having eaten, etc), kind of how they give SATs.
Not only that, but they must ensure that the participants involved would have a tantamount portion of sleep to others, feed the same quantity of food; both prior in operating functionally and acquiring communal energies; otherwise there would be an error in the test's measurement of IQ.

Yes, alike a SAT, but more strict within the assessment's manipulation of the environment it's based in.

This is why a lot of people dislike IQ tests. They seem to only measure a certain kind of intelligence, & someone could train themselves to score well on the test, but not really possess the level of intelligence associated with that score.
It's all marginal, sadly.

It goes to say those who flaunt their IQ level shouldn't have such an extreme confidence in an IQ test's accuracy, and sit an official assessment instead.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
I'm amazed that all of you people were given your IQ test scores in high school. They had me take one in elementary and in high school and the results were confidential; in other words, placed in my file and I never knew the result. It was just for the teachers (and possibly my parents) to know.

But if ( as Orange Applied mentioned) those with higher IQs tend to be underachievers in life, well, I guess I must have scored pretty high on those tests... :tongue: ...although I tried to take one recently online and I did not have the motivation to solve the mathematical questions. I'm just like, 'eh, I'll put whatever answer seems right' vs actually pausing to think about it. Not like that's a surprise, though. Math has always brought me down. Verbal I'll get upper 1%; math I'll get average.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
In middle school mine was 129 -- or so my parent's said. I remember because my brother's was 127 and I was shocked mine was higher since I though he was smarter.

I don't know what mine would be now though...I feel a lot dumber...being quite forgetful and such.

I agree with orangeapple: It's a way to measure intelligence for sure. But it isn't the only way.for instance, my sisters is 138 (they wanted to put her in a "special school" photographic memory and such) and she is really book smart. But rather clueless in interpersonal relationships...

·
Registered
3 Posts
ick school

i have had 2 official iq tests one when i was 8 where i scored in the 140's and one around age 14 where i scored 138. I have never been big on school i hated it and was punished for reading ahead or understanding too quickly because i needed "to stay on track and wait for the rest of the class" and then i tuned out and stopped listening. i graduated highschool with a 2.0 but a 32 on my act and to this day motivation to go to class and complete schoolwork is difficult. I am the underachiever and it sucks

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
I love learning though but just not when I'm forced to learn. :bored:
Yeah, exactly. I live for learning, but it's on my terms, 100%. If a 'should' or a 'have to' is attached to anything, you'd better believe I will lose all interest- and rebel.

(Love your avatar, by the way- Kurt Cobain was pretty much my first musician soulmate. It was very rough on me when he died. :sad:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've never gotten good grades, honestly because I never tried that hard. When I was a youngster, in kindergarten or beginning in first grade I heard the teachers saying to my mom how smart I was, I've always thought that that seriously injured my will to be ambitious. I've been overwhelmed with a sense of arrogance ever since thinking that I can do anything I want, I just need the right motivation. And that's true in a way but it still doesn't count for much when it's not actually being done.

In high school I got kicked out due to poor attendance and failing numerous courses. I went to another school where things got a little better, but not really. I quite before I got my student exam(finished my 4 years of high school). I went to a psychologist and took an IQ test. I scored 118 I think, where I scored high on parts like, calculating in my head on the spot, short term and long term memory and some other things. And I remember him presenting this comic-type cartoon on these 6 or 9 puzzles. And I was suppose to put them in the correct order while he was timing me and then I just immediately couldn't think, couldn't stop thinking about the time that was passing.

I've always felt smart underneath, but still at the same time I sometimes feel stupid. I've been called a natural stoner, even though I don't smoke(weed nor cigarettes), I tend to fall out of reality and into imaginary worlds, not like Neverending Story... just start thinking about irrelevant things. I hope I find my path someday, I'm slowly starting to become very afraid of not finding my thing in life, I think my type of character is just typical for that. Drowning in the flow of all these attention seeking ignorants in life... yeah sorry I'm bitter.

34 Posts
I didnt enjoy high school - I got ok grades, but in college my grades slipped. It bored me, and it didnt meet my needs. I found a degree I was passionate about and came out with a first class hons degree. I believe my IQ is above average and I love learning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah online IQ tests are completely bogus, and the significance of scores vary depending on the test. i've taken them and i've gotten 140 and higher but i'd estimate my real IQ is around 110-120.
i don't think anyone who knows anything really puts that much weight into them, and i don't think anyone should; but they definitely do measure something, even though it's likely that it's only a limited spectrum of intelligence they are measuring. i'm still pretty sure, and i think it's hard for anyone to reasonably deny, that they're still good at predicting academic success, or at the very least academic potential. but to paraphrase a previous poster, there's a lot of high IQ people who are simply idiots. I know this guy who apparently got tested for 150 iq in high school, has a couple degrees, but he doesn't seem to know what it means to think critically, or reason. like a haruhi said said he basically "compensates with the application of stored knowledge"--yeah, you basically summed him up perfectly -- so frustrating talking to that guy sometimes.

edit: about willpower; yeah, i think it's clear that most people definitely gotta work hard to do well and that they're usually rewarded for that hard work, but i think we should also have realistic expectations for ourselves. hard work isn't gonna get you everything you set your heart on, it's a romantic ideal that is easy to fall in love with, but based on the current evidence, it's just really not true. this might seem demoralizing or pessimistic but i don't think it should be taken that way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I'm about average intelligence...maybe even a LITTLE bit lower, since I seem to take a long time to memorize things, can be forgetful, and do not grasp concepts quickly... However, I am interested in many subjects, and love to debate, as long as it stays friendly and respectful...If I'm in the mood, I love to think about philosophical theories and will let my mind imagine scenarios or come up with strange images all the time..I am very creative and appreciate almost everything I see around me because there is so much inspiration out there!! My eyes are the medium into this green world all the visual possibilities thrive and grow in my mind when I finally let them after all day-to-day obligations have been met. In high school I got nearly all A’s had an almost perfect GPA and would try hard in classes I had absolutely no interest in..I have no idea why!...College is awesome because I’m learning about the things I am truly interested in and will use for the rest of my career and life.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The problem with IQ tests is that in creating them, you have to make an assumption that the people you are testing have been exposed to the facets that you are including in the assessment.
For instance, you could have a question about elephants but the person you have administered the test to has never seen an elephant in person or a photo. They may also have never heard the word before to know that it is a mammal or living thing.

·
Banned
369 Posts
My father has an IQ well over 130, but he will not tell me what. I don't know why. But, he tells me that he believes I have an IQ somewhere over 130 as well.
I have not taken an official IQ test, but I have grown up being a "cerebral" person. I don't remember this, but my parents brag to their friends that I was "using 4 or 5 syllable words correctly" at age 4.
Also, I rarely study, yet on my SATs I got 200 points more than most of my friends, and in one case 300 points over what a particularly studious friend of mine scored.
So, I am smart. I am not one who is extremely adept with mathematics, although I believe if my attention span would permit it, I could be. I tend to grasp concepts very easily, if I know what it is that I am trying to do.
But, I don't really know. I could be only of average intelligence. I don't feel smart, but I do feel isolated from most of the people around me. I have always felt like my peers were "immature." I couldn't really explain it, but I remember just feeling like I couldn't relate to most kids my age. But again, maybe that's something entirely different.

·
Registered
95 Posts
IQ was high enough that I was in the gifted program. Beyond that I'm not gonna say.

SAT was 1470 (back when the highest was 1600), ACT 33, grades were something around a 3.7, but only because I did't bother to do the work sometimes. I only work really hard when I'm really interested in something.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
For the sake of giving honest knowledge to strangers like yourselves, I did embarrassingly terrible in school. My biggest saving grace was my SATs(1750) and IQ(123)..which conjured to just being slightly above average. But I don't think it's a lack of potential. I'm entering college full time next semester, and now without the strict guidelines of school, my grades are improving exponentially. But exponents don't have a place when you're talking about improving my almost rigid "F" report card. Hm....

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I've never gotten good grades, honestly because I never tried that hard. When I was a youngster, in kindergarten or beginning in first grade I heard the teachers saying to my mom how smart I was, I've always thought that that seriously injured my will to be ambitious. I've been overwhelmed with a sense of arrogance ever since thinking that I can do anything I want, I just need the right motivation. And that's true in a way but it still doesn't count for much when it's not actually being done.

In high school I got kicked out due to poor attendance and failing numerous courses. I went to another school where things got a little better, but not really. I quite before I got my student exam(finished my 4 years of high school). I went to a psychologist and took an IQ test. I scored 118 I think, where I scored high on parts like, calculating in my head on the spot, short term and long term memory and some other things. And I remember him presenting this comic-type cartoon on these 6 or 9 puzzles. And I was suppose to put them in the correct order while he was timing me and then I just immediately couldn't think, couldn't stop thinking about the time that was passing.

I've always felt smart underneath, but still at the same time I sometimes feel stupid. I've been called a natural stoner, even though I don't smoke(weed nor cigarettes), I tend to fall out of reality and into imaginary worlds, not like Neverending Story... just start thinking about irrelevant things. I hope I find my path someday, I'm slowly starting to become very afraid of not finding my thing in life, I think my type of character is just typical for that. Drowning in the flow of all these attention seeking ignorants in life... yeah sorry I'm bitter.

i dunno my iq but....i feel ya on pretty much all of that

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im an A student. I have a B in english though now.(english has never been my fav class:dry:) Having no social life has apparently left me with loads of time to waste on schoolwork. Im taking high end classes, sometimes called AP/ IB/college clases.

41 - 60 of 381 Posts