Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your corrections, concerns or discussions here.

If you've happened to use incorrect grammar or spelling, people usually won't have corrected you if they're just wanting to value your ideas. This thread is intended to be a completely impersonal list of observations that in no way relate to the value of an individual's ideas.

Quotes aren't allowed.

What are some common grammar / spelling errors you've seen about the place (or other places)?

Do you have any grammar or spelling related things you'd like to understand better?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This isn't a correction, I just don't get it. How is it an anatomical representation of an emotion?

>_>

Reactions: Snakecharmer

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Apostrophe's are more than commonly misused. This is the most bothersome for me.

Sentences often lack periods at the end

first letters of sentences are not capitalized.

Proper nouns, like john, are sometimes not capitalized.

Using dangling participles.

A large percentage of people don't know how to use colons(punctuation) and semi-colons. That; may or may not include me.

Some people don't use commas or split sentences into two It becomes difficult to read or comprehend what they're writing.

For the most part, you don't get that many GRAMMATICAL errors("Grammar errors" is grammatically incorrect) on the forums and there's barely any need to correct or point them out.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reactions: Palaver

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
What are those?
"Using dangling participles" is a dangling participle. The sentence lacks a subject and it's is unknown who is using the dangling participles. This qualifies as an incomplete sentence and therefore grammatically incorrect.

Reactions: Bear987 and Ista

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Their, There
Your, you're

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
I probably misuse colon's, semi-colon's, hiphens, apostrophe's, and abuse comma's :wink: I also have a habit of using emoticons (spelling?) as periods :tongue:

If somebody would be so kind as to give this lazy ass a nice website that would explain all of them for me I would be appreciative.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I probably misuse colon's, semi-colon's, hiphens, apostrophe's, and abuse comma's :wink: I also have a habit of using emoticons (spelling?) as periods :tongue:

If somebody would be so kind as to give this lazy ass a nice website that would explain all of them for me I would be appreciative.
Værsgo: Guide to Grammar and Writing

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I often go back latter to read my post and find a misspelling or use of the wrong word and if it's not to late I correct it. Most of you are gracious enough not out call of out my grammar mistakes and I appreciate that. I don't call out others mistakes unless their being obnoxious or arrogant and then it's fair game. Occasionally I see others here pick at a posters grammar or punctuation and I find that far more annoying that the grammar error itself.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

My emoticon tab hasn't been working that well lately.... I have to use actual puncuation :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't mind small mistakes such as writing "lets" instead of "let's". We all make mistakes at times.

Though I do get kind of frustrated when I see bigger grammatical mistakes such as when people write "there" instead of "their, and "then" instead of "than" and vice versa. There are of course many other grammatical mistakes that are quite annoying, but those are some of the more common ones.

Is it really that hard for people to think for one moment before write something and post it? If they had just considered the word "there" and its uses they would have easily come to the conclusion that it shouldn't be used in the place of "their", and the same can be said for a lot of other examples of misuse when it comes to the English language (or any other language for that matter).

There's one thing more annoying than bad grammar itself and that's when people use no (or close to no) paragraphs in their writing. Reading text bungled up in one huge wall of text is not pleasant to the eyes.

I might sound a bit like an elitist, but I would assure you that I am not. It's not my fault that I spot these grammatical errors and whatnot and immediately, it's an unconscious process that I cannot control. I can't just turn off my ability to spot flaws in things immediately.

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
Is it really that hard for people to think for one moment before write something and post it? If they had just considered the word "there" and its uses they would have easily come to the conclusion that it shouldn't be used in the place of "their", and the same can be said for a lot of other examples of misuse when it comes to the English language (or any other language for that matter).
A couple of years ago, I was an ESL teacher for a short period of time. I would say that my own English skills are adequate - not perfect. However, during my time as a teacher I learned that, yes, it is hard for some people to write down their thoughts without breaking grammar rules in the process. They don't do it on purpose and it's also not the case that they are hasty or careless. It is simply wrong to assume character flaws or ascribe negative personality traits to these people. They are not lazy or weak-willed.

I hold that Howard Gardner is right when he explains that being smart expresses itself in people in various ways. In his theory of Multiple Intelligences he puts forth the following intelligences: logical-mathematical, spatial, linguistic, bodily-kinaesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic and existential. You, I and all other elitist linguistic purists (let's not kid ourselves) are apparently good (smart) with language. Good for us. However, according to Gardner we have no reason to look down on people for not being as apt as we are when it comes to using language. I recommend reading up on Gardner, so I can keep this post as short as possible.

I might sound a bit like an elitist, but I would assure you that I am not. It's not my fault that I spot these grammatical errors and whatnot and immediately, it's an unconscious process that I cannot control. I can't just turn off my ability to spot flaws in things immediately.
Next to the probability that you cannot change who you are (in any major way), I don't think you have to either. There is nothing wrong with being smart when it comes to using language - just as much as it is not wrong to be smart or good at something completely different. However, I don't think we should see ourselves as the victims of our abilities. We should take responsibility for who we are and conduct ourselves in a way that minimizes suffering and increases happiness. In other words, we don't have to turn off our ability to spot flaws, but we do need to learn to be tactful and subtle. Keeping in mind that others will be better equipped than us at other forms of intelligence, we would do well to treat others gently in the hope they will return the favor.

PS. How big of a moral elitist am I? :tongue:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
A couple of years ago, I was an ESL teacher for a short period of time. I would say that my own English skills are adequate - not perfect. However, during my time as a teacher I learned that, yes, it is hard for some people to write down their thoughts without breaking grammar rules in the process. They don't do it on purpose and it's also not the case that they are hasty or careless. It is simply wrong to assume character flaws or ascribe negative personality traits to these people. They are not lazy or weak-willed.

I hold that Howard Gardner is right when he explains that being smart expresses itself in people in various ways. In his theory of Multiple Intelligences he puts forth the following intelligences: logical-mathematical, spatial, linguistic, bodily-kinaesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic and existential. You, I and all other elitist linguistic purists (let's not kid ourselves) are apparently good (smart) with language. Good for us. However, according to Gardner we have no reason to look down on people for not being as apt as we are when it comes to using language. I recommend reading up on Gardner, so I can keep this post as short as possible.

Next to the probability that you cannot change who you are (in any major way), I don't think you have to either. There is nothing wrong with being smart when it comes to using language - just as much as it is not wrong to be smart or good at something completely different. However, I don't think we should see ourselves as the victims of our abilities. We should take responsibility for who we are and conduct ourselves in a way that minimizes suffering and increases happiness. In other words, we don't have to turn off our ability to spot flaws, but we do need to learn to be tactful and subtle. Keeping in mind that others will be better equipped than us at other forms of intelligence, we would do well to treat others gently in the hope they will return the favor.

PS. How big of a moral elitist am I? :tongue:
Actually I agree with this 100%, and to go more in depth look at it like this, some people don't have the grammatical knowledge as INTPs who are Ti dominant. Ti is the cause of why grammatical flaws tick your personality type off as a whole. Put Ti in different function zones and then you get different attitudes towards what Ti stands for. Someone as a Ti dominant, who needs a flawless system internally will apply that to every day things in life that has to do with systems. Grammar is a system of its own which is part of a bigger system (language). An auxiliary Ti user (as myself) uses Ti to filter the perception in a systematic fashion, and to be able to use at any time in immediate situations because Ti stores information into folders, and breaks the folders into more folders, making categories within categories, being able to be brought up at any time for dom-aux users of Ti.

Tertiary Ti on the other hand understands having a moral system based off of logic is fundamentally much more efficient in the big picture community (social) wise than having their own personal convictions to stand rigidly by. IxFJ = Fe> big picture + Ti > Fi.

So if you take Ti and then put it in the devilish role spot, you have a person that has the up-most dislike for systematic things, to the point where it tends to act like it doesn't exist. So IXFP would be much more likely to look past grammar as a system and therefore would look past grammatical errors, because they have spoke what was on their mind, and Ti was literally so far back in their mind that they neglect it easily, as if it never existed.

So in other words Ti starts off strong in a dominant function zone, but each zone down that it goes the attitude of the individual changes towards the system maker Ti, seeping through in the objective sense through their actions.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I've never envisioned grammar and language as a system, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. I'm extremely attracted to language and its use and why I find my job as an editor so fascinating. I’m constantly editing or mentally editing things, even when I don’t have to, and I love the patterns that language and its use has. I think part of it comes from the amount of reading I do; I’ve just picked up on the ebb and flow of the English language and what makes sense and what doesn’t.

I’m attending a conference of medical writers in October and one of the many interesting sessions available is one called “Writing, the Cherokee Syllabary, and the Nature of Language” (at the same time is a soft skills class that has more practical application). Another course I’m registered for is a course on rhetoric in medical writing. It’s interesting to look at the use of grammar as a theory and how grammar and the rest of it fit into the larger picture.

To get back to the original topic, some of my favorite dislikes are when prepositions are used at the end of a phrase; also, from a medical/scientific perspective, when people write “data is” instead of “data are.” “Data” is plural, people! I know I sound nitpicky, but scientific journal editors are much more picky than I am.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Here is an example of a dangling participle:
While walking down the street, the trees swayed in the afternoon breeze.
The impression is of trees walking down the street because the actual subject is not mentioned in the participle (while walking down the street). Therefore, it is considered to be "dangling."

What are those?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts