Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in machines (steam-powered; thanks, steampunk) and guns for a few months now, but no matter what I try to learn about them I am completely and utterly unable to grasp how they work. It's frustrating because I have a vested interest in them, but there is a huge mental block there that's stopping any information from getting through to me. I've never had this much trouble learning something before--even something I find boring.

Do any of you have this problem? Have any of you had this problem but somehow found a way to work through it?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I loooove steam technology! Honestly, I used to dream of being a 19th century inventor when I was a kid. I love accomplishing complicated tasks with physical devices whose parts you can see. A bit of a sensor streak in me I guess. Screw all this modern electronic stuff!:tongue:

Nope, never had this. Perhaps you could try what sensors do when they ask "give an example", but in reverse...make it more abstract?

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I have a lot of difficulty grasping the idea of waves.
I also have a very hard time understanding relativity and quantum theory, but I would guess that this is more common.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Oh, funny, I usually see how those work pretty quickly! Though I hardly retain all the details, I just learn enough by visualizing, which is what allows me to amateurishly reproduce them into those weird machine sketches. Maybe because it is more of a Se-based function than a Ti or Ne-based one, because it's not so much a theoretical, abstract framework as it is an actual, systematic network.

I think they're very interesting, nonetheless, right up there with logic gates and circuitry. *swoon*

But whether I grasp something or not depends entirely on my present mentality. Today, I was reading up on thermodynamics and it made so much sense to me at the time that I understood it almost perfectly, because it FIT with a principle that I was already so familiar with. The other day, I was trying to understand some things about zero-point energy, and my mind just wasn't focused on it, which kind of got in the way of me even attempting to wrap my head around it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have difficulty grasping even the basics of game theory. :frustrating:

some of my hobbies are hands-on, and my eyes glaze over when I try to read about or even watch a video of some new-to-me technique. I just have to do it myself. then it clicks.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Magnets! How do they work?!:laughing:

Actually I generally don't have trouble understanding concepts, as long as they can be explained to me in non-junkified language.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I was never a much of a practical engineer guy. Which is lame, because my father is a big one.

I am more of a theoretical and abstract thinker (regular INTP?) xD

I understand the concepts of theory of relativity and quantumn theory, along with M-theory (string theory). I know a lot and understand a lot about those theories without knowing almost any details about them (like what are the neccessery equations).

Edit: What I consider 'A lot' could be just a small fraction of a whole theory. However, I know some things that a lot of people never learn in their whole lifes, so I don't think I have any problems understanding concepts.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Are you male or female?

It shouldn't matter - but I've found male INTPs manage to grasp how things work better than female INTPs. Regardless, it's more of a J thing working out how things work I think. (Sexist? Or is it just because there are more male INTP than female? {shrugs})

I'm more interested in what something does rather than how it works. I too, have problems with the mechanics of items, but my brain really doesn't care. If it does something I perceive as useful, or potentially useful, I store it away for future use.

When I was at school, I did Computer Studies - which I flunked, mainly because a lot of the coursework was based on how putas work, the base level 1's and 0's, switches for on and off, cores, modules.......yawn....I switched to 0. Computer programming though - I was well ahead in my class.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It shouldn't matter - but I've found male INTPs manage to grasp how things work better than female INTPs. Regardless, it's more of a J thing working out how things work I think. (Sexist? Or is it just because there are more male INTP than female? {shrugs})
I think it's more that men are more reticent about owning up to their incompetence, even to themselves.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I understand the concepts of theory of relativity and quantumn theory, along with M-theory (string theory). I know a lot and understand a lot about those theories without knowing almost any details about them (like what are the neccessery equations).
I find this very hard to believe.....just sayin...

But if you really do understand string theory I'd like to know where you get your sources from, because I've tried to understand it yet I cannnot.

·
Registered
785 Posts

But if you really do understand string theory I'd like to know where you get your sources from, because I've tried to understand it yet I cannnot.
Well I watched a lot of the documentaries on youtube and internet. I am following the work of dr. Michio Kaku and I often look whats new on the Big Think.

I can't say I understand it in deapth. But sure, everything I have heard of the String theory made a perfect sense to me and I didn't have any problems in following the material.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I have a lot of difficulty grasping the idea of waves.
I also have a very hard time understanding relativity and quantum theory, but I would guess that this is more common.
Indeed. Relativity and Quantum Theory are a little difficult to wrap your mind around.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't understand your doubt, can you be a bit more specific?

Reactions: Obsidean

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm pretty good at dealing with systems like steam engines, guns and all of that. I have no actual specialized knowledge, but I like to ponder how things like a gun works and most of my assumptions have been challenged and and confirmed as true, though not always, but whenever I'm disproved it's just a opportunity to expand my understandings.

That said, my greatest interest has been quantum physics. Ever since I met a physics professor at age 10 and he gave me a basic outline of atomic theory and told me some weird quantum mechanics like tunnelling, and uncertainty principal I have been very interested in physics and as my mathematic abilities develop, this interest is only growing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, I found several of these posts helpful. I'm studying neuroscience right now, and there is a section that talks about voltage and resistance. I know the ideas are very straightforwad, but my mind needs time to connect through the various ideas into a whole. I feel like my F gets in the way of my T, and I waste a lot of time.

One of the most fun tasks though, that made me feel confident that there was a hope was when I derived a formula for determining the square root based upon a proof in a geometry history book, without the book's mentioning anything about sin/cos and tangent.

I find my brain needs to shift through the masses of thoughts to dig into what is really going on in my head. A lot of times, some ideas don't fit with existing ideas, and we need to analyze/reflect more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, I found several of these posts helpful. I'm studying neuroscience right now, and there is a section that talks about voltage and resistance. I know the ideas are very straightforwad, but my mind needs time to connect through the various ideas into a whole. I feel like my F gets in the way of my T, and I waste a lot of time.

One of the most fun tasks though, that made me feel confident that there was a hope was when I derived a formula for determining the square root based upon a proof in a geometry history book, without the book's mentioning anything about sin/cos and tangent.

I find my brain needs to shift through the masses of thoughts to dig into what is really going on in my head. A lot of times, some ideas don't fit with existing ideas, and we need to analyze/reflect more.
What may help you is looking at a problem and trying to find a simpler, even trivial version of it and solve that to give yourself some feeling and appreciation of what it is you're trying to do. Don't think of Fi as a disadvantage, it's natural tendency to weigh and consider the importance of ideas is useful. Just think you will have to change the way you think about problems to get better and faster results, I'd guess this is true of all types though.

For steam engines; if you have any background in science it might be worth approaching them from thermodynamics. That branch of physics was initially set up to give a better understanding of them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Try watching The Elegant Universe.

It really helped me get a good grasp on all the concepts of string theory, as well as pretty much everything concerning physics. Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, the video is unavailable to me now due to rights restrictions for where I live :angry:, not sure when that changed. I'll have to hunt down another source for it and watch it again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts