Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any cognitive function which plays a role in memorization? I've noticed that I've always been very good at memorizing parts.... was able to score straight 100's on my human anatomy tests, could memorize all the periodic table of elements within about 30 minutes. Same with the Japanese alphabets, arabic alphabet, etc. I just make flashcards, can associate certain patterns with meanings.

Are there any specific cognitive functions that play a role in this?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've heard that Si is supposed to help with memorization. It's all about taking in facts and information, which is exactly what memorization requires. Personally, I'm not good at memorizing things at all, and don't have Si, so I believe it. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Reactions: O_o

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've heard that Si is supposed to help with memorization. It's all about taking in facts and information, which is exactly what memorization requires. Personally, I'm not good at memorizing things at all, and don't have Si, so I believe it. Anyone else agree or disagree?
I don't think Si has anything to do with it. I know of a few Si doms, all of which have really bad memories. I doubt that functions have something to do with memorization. Memorization I believe has something to do with memory, and that has something to do with the Myelin Sheath.

Memorization would have something to do with what you are being interested in as well. I remember I had quite a hard time memorizing names and dates for my History classes yet I can remember scientific facts and things I'm interested in.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Eenope. It would be great if I could memorize how the light switches in this house that I've lived in for 12 years worked.

I have bad short term memory but once I've integrated something into my brain, I've been described to be like a sponge. Light switches do not factor into my understanding of the world and so end up in that short term slot.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Eenope. It would be great if I could memorize how the light switches in this house that I've lived in for 12 years worked.

I have bad short term memory but once I've integrated something into my brain, I've been described to be like a sponge. Light switches do not factor into my understanding of the world and so end up in that short term slot.
See, I'm the opposite of that. I have great short-term memory, but my long-term memory is like the worst thing ever. Maybe I'm just misremembering what I read then, and the Si-Ni differences are more along those lines. Who knows, though? It's all theory.

Portal, interest definitely has something to do with it (at least for many, many people, if not everyone). Our minds will be more active if we're more interested in something, we'll process and think about the stuff more, which makes it stick better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts