Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sowwy if there's already a thread about this somewhere... I couldn't find it :)

Out of curiosity... what's the greatest compliment you have ever received? Who said it, and how did you respond? :proud:

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I tend not to remember complements in general. I guess bad things stick out in my mind more than good things.

However, there's one that I remember quite well because it had an impact on me. At the end of my last class in one of my final year courses during my undergrad degree, I went up to my class teacher to ask a couple of questions, and also to thank her for being such a great teacher during the year. She replied by telling me something along the lines that I should really consider postgraduate study as I'd be perfect for it and that I was very smart/talented. At the time, I had no plans to do further study and I always thought I wasn't good enough to do a postgrad degree. That comment made a big difference and gave me the confidence to study further (albeit after working for a bit).

Another one was when someone called me their favourite mathematician. I think it was more to do with who it came from than the actual statement.

Bonus prize goes to @listentothemountains for calling herself my 'fangirl' :p Even if it was just in humour, it felt good ;)

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I can't remember any...not especially...

But I do love compliments that are aimed at my intellect, inventiveness, cleverness, something specific I did. Like one person I know admits openly - "I like hearing about myself." When a compliment comes from someone I respect, it is worth so much more. When I have no respect for the person, compliments of all sorts, even the above, fall into the category described below.

But compliments aimed at my appearance, friendliness, everything else - are, well, just nice words. They don't stick. This does not mean I do not say "Thank you". It just means that they do not stroke my ego. Heh.

I'm your secret fan! :D @Blue Ocean

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The biggest compliment I've ever received was from my INTJ friend (who I am sure all of you are tired of hearing about by now.) I snuck into one of his classes one day (I knew the teacher so it was ok) and at the end of the class they had a little class quiz. I decided to go for it and see how much I could make up on the spot. I kept the test and, as we walked out, he wanted to see it. At first I was reluctant to show him, because I was fairly sure I had had no idea what was going on. He insisted, so I acquiesced. He read it over and said that he was really impressed that I had picked up on so much so quickly. It was a genuine compliment, and it felt good.

EDIT: How did I respond? I'm pretty sure it was with a blank face, and then by attempting to downplay the complement by discussing further the topic at hand. Later on I think I told him that his compliment meant a lot to me.

@Blue Ocean I'm trying to remember where that post was just so I could read it again :) Oh yes! I still love that piece of music :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think mine was when I graduated high school, my Latvian language teacher said "well done". Latvian language was the only subject I had a 3/10, because I just couldn't care about it less. I was the one of the best in my country in physics and math competitions, but my language skills were so low. I had to spend 2 weeks every summer just to pass my Latvian. In the final year I passed examinations with a B grade (A is for the top 5%, B is for 5-15% of best students - so it was really quite good considering my teacher threatening me of getting an E or F - failing) and it was my proof that I can if I want to, so that's why it seems so special.

The teacher I had has been honored several times as the best Latvian language teachers in Latvia.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,541 Posts
An ENFJ I supposedly know from college (she friended me on Facebook and we finally admitted to each other we'd seen the other around campus, but have no idea how we're acquainted - talk about awkward :laughing:) said I often made her think. I said "I made you think?" to which she responded, "yes, there's a slight twist to the way you explain or ponder items of interest." I don't know why it struck me so, but I was quite flattered. Don't remember how I responded.

When I moved in middle school my new classmates were constantly going on about how "nice" I was, like they were shocked. It was weird. I thought my parents just taught me to be considerate of others, but I imagine being a Nine has a lot to do with it. I brushed it off, said it wasn't a big deal as I was just being the way I always was, but I did feel pretty good on the inside.

Lately people around here have been saying they really enjoy and/or appreciate my posts. :proud: I respond with a "thanks!" and smiley emoticon, which basically reflect the big warm fuzzies they've given me - like this: :happy:

The other...is too squishy for here. :blushed:

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,541 Posts
Actually, I have to say the greatest compliment I've ever received wasn't really an explicit compliment at all - I was just listened to. Really listened to. That's all, just to have someone actually take the time and concentration to really hear to what I have to say.

I think the people I know in everyday life just sort of tune me out after a while. To have someone actually care about what I was saying...that means so much more to me than I could ever explain.

I think people just don't realize how invalidating having your thoughts ignored can be to some.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Actually, I have to say the greatest compliment I've ever received wasn't really an explicit compliment at all - I was just listened to. Reallylistened to. That's all, just to have someone actually take the time and concentration to really hear to what I have to say.

I think the people I know in everyday life just sort of tune me out after a while. To have someone actually care about what I was saying...that means so much more to me than I could ever explain.

I think people just don't realize how invalidating having your thoughts ignored can be to some.
:blushed::blushed:

·
Registered
170 Posts
There are two that I can remember...
1) "You are wise beyond your years"--One of my teachers during my school years. Maybe high school?
2) "You don't need faith because you are faith"--Someone in a religious debate who appraised my entire novel-long post. I don't know why, but I really liked that.

·
Registered
903 Posts
"You're one of the most intelligent people I know," which both shocked and confused me. It was thoughtful of them, though.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
Ration and archetype aside, I've lately found that giving compliments to those who genuinely deserve them is a more mutually beneficial approach than trying to dig up all of those I've received over the years.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts