Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone! i stumbled upon your site several nights ago after discovering i was an ENFP; i am absolutely intrigued by the wealth of information and camaraderie on your site and i cannot wait to find more and more cool stuff here! i have never in my life posted on a discussion board, so please bear w/me as i adjust!

it was so amazing for me to read some threads posted in the ENFP forum...the choice of words, the tone of the posts, and (of course!) the content itself felt eerily similar to how i communicate; i knew i had *finally* found a like-minded (yet wonderfully diverse!) group of people who are as interested in finding out more about themselves, their inner motivations and dialogues, and their relationships w/others living in this beautiful, flawed world :)

i will respond to the sticky note introductory questions as suggested:

Personal
~

* Name - What do you preferred to be called?
brittany, britt, b
- Any nicknames? britt

* Male/Female/Trans?
26/f

Location - Where were you originally born? Where do you live today? Any interesting story behind that?
i was born in Los Angeles and lived there until i was age 9. i then lived in Atlanta until i was 18 and went to Baltimore for college.

i moved to Texas several years ago to be closer to my parents who'd relocated here for work and in order to attend graduate school. i completed my master's degree in 2007 and immediately began working in my chosen field.

If you could get up and go anywhere in the world at the present moment, where would you go and why?
i have been wanting to explore South America for the longest time! i love immersing myself in different cultures and experiencing how other people live around the world. i spent a month traveling all over Italy last year because that is someplace i'd always wanted to explore. i also lived in Kenya for several months when i was 15, and Africa changed my life forever. i want to experience the whole world!!

Age - How old are you? Do you think you act your age? If not, explain which age you think you resemble most. Do it for the laughs.
i am 26yo, soon to be 27, and I’ve found that every year just gets better and better! as an only child, i grew up always feeling ‘older’ than my peers because i was more used to interacting w/adults. it’s nice to get older and (hopefully!) wiser because I’m able to connect w/my contemporaries on a more significant level as many of them become more introspective and self-assured.

Personal(ity) ~

* What is your Myers-Briggs personality type and for how long have you been reading on personality theory?
i consistently test as an ENFP over the dozens of personality inventories i have taken over the past several weeks. i have always been interested in personality theory as a hobby, but then i began teaching college students about it in the criminology, juvenile delinquency, deviance, and abnormal psychology classes i teach! i recently asked my students to complete a long Jungian test as part of a course assignment because i find personality theory completely fascinating :)

* What type do you usually test as?
ENFP

* What are your favorite and least favorite personality types to be around?
more Judging types seem to get sometimes frustrated w/my frenetic thought processes & unwillingness to commit to future plans...although i have no problems w/them or w/any other personality type! i tend to particularly enjoy the company of the INTJ Abstract Scientists and fellow ENTP Social Philosophers i know because we tend to connect on a deeper level than most. however, i enjoy interacting w/all different types of people because there is something to be learned from everyone!

If you've taken any other personality tests, included but not limited to tests like the Enneagram and Big 5 (SLOAN), what were your results?
i’ve only taken a handful of enneagram tests so far and they have classified me as a type 7 Enthusiast.

Occupation ~

* Employed or Unemployed?
i work 2 f/t jobs, so i often feel OVER-employed! yet my work is truly a labor of love and i would do both jobs for free because i am completely passionate about my chosen field.

my 'day job' is working w/adjudicated sexual offenders who have been placed on community supervision (probation) by our local criminal district courts. in effect, i view myself as a 'social worker' for sex offenders in that i attempt to aid their efforts to become non-offending, prosocial members of the community. if i can positively motivate them to confront their deep-seated psychological issues head-on and to learn the cognitive-behavioral skills they need to change the way they think and act, i truly believe i will be helping to protect children (and adults) from future sexual victimization. it is supremely rewarding work.

i also teach as an adjunct professor in the sociology and anthropology dept of a local university. i primarily teach courses in criminology, juvenile delinquency, deviance, abnormal psychology, sex and gender, and other fun stuff! my classes are upper-level, so i typically only have students who are juniors or seniors in college. i absolutely *love* teaching and doing research! i've published a few studies relating to sex crimes, but my research interests are quite varied and constantly evolving :)

What is your education? In college, tell us your major.
i have a master's degree in criminology and i would love to begin my doctorate soon!

What is your dream job?
i am incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to be gainfully employed in 2 jobs i would do for free! i truly believe i am living my dream every day. i would love to have more time to write, though!

About You ~

* Tell us in a brief paragraph or two how you would describe yourself and what you hope to get out of this forum.
i love interacting and learning w/all different kinds of people; everyone has a story to tell and brings a unique perspective to the table. i was also drawn to join this forum because i finally felt that’d i’d found others of ‘my kind’ w/whom i could share interpretations of the world. being an ENFP, i love interacting w/a wide variety of people, but i often feel like more of an observer at times because i can so clearly perceive what’s going on beneath the surface in people and their interactions w/others. and I’ve found that a great many people are not interested in looking any deeper than what they can take in w/their 5 senses…as i’ve seen written before, a feeling of being a ‘social loner’ accompanies me through life. i’d like to use this forum to discuss this (and other) phenomena w/other people interested in further exploration of the human psyche and social psychology.

Other ~

What is your favourite section at the toy-store?
it's been YEARS since i've been in a toy store, but i remember always loving the barbie doll aisle.
Do you collect anything?
nope
What are your phobias? i don't really have any phobias. although i do dread having to enter public restrooms!
Describe your favourite food until you drool. anything that does not need cooking! i am so uninterested in cooking (read: LAZY) that i end up mostly eating raw fruits & veggies, lots of popcorn, and lots of healthy grain cereals. i love eating healthy and from the earth!
Some of the things that you give you jollies? many things in life bring me great joy! i find that i am most often laughing because i love having fun in whatever i do.
What are your top five pet peeves?
ooh, this is a fun one!
1. traffic and rude motorists;
2. when people are inconsiderate of how their words & actions can affect others;
3. the sexualization & objectification of women & children in mass media;
4. bigotry;
5. greed;
What would a perfect day be like for you? i would have to find a nice balance of feeling relaxed, yet purposeful & action-oriented. a perfect day would involve sleeping till noon (i am *such* a night-owl & get my best thinking done in the wee hrs), going in to work for a few hrs & being productive, getting home before sunset to go for a nice run by the river, dining w/loved ones (or even strangers!) al fresco & under the stars, watching a good film, and fall asleep naturally while reading in bed. i actually had this day not even a week ago!
Do you prefer a vegetarian or meat diet or both? i was a vegetarian for many, many years and still prefer a mostly vegetable-, fruit-, and grain-based diet. but i do eat chicken and fish occasionally.

Other Other
~ Yay or Nay?

God and Souls
- i am blessed to have discovered Buddhism several yrs ago!although i have never been able to align myself w/any one organized religion (i think there is certainly something to be learned from *all* faiths), i have discovered that Buddhism is most in line w/my personal philosophies.
The Death Penalty
- hate never dispelled hate; only love can dispel hate!
Premarital Sex - please allow people to control their own bodies for goodness' sake!
People are inherently good - this depends on whose definition of “good”! but yes, i believe we are 85% products of our environments and socialization and those forces are the primary contributors to culturally-defined ‘deviant’ behaviors. but since we are members of the animal kingdom, can we truly say our aggressive and often selfish impulses are anything other than innate? i think not! some of us are just better in recognizing, understanding, and managing our ‘natural’ impulses and urges than are others.
Destiny - i believe everything that happens in the world
Done drugs - yes... i live w/out shame & regret. it all happened for a reason & i know i was meant to experience what i experienced!
Kissed in the rain – lovely!
Re-reading a good book
– only if it is a truly amazing read and it has been so long since i last read it that i can’t remember most of it! i typically do not gravitate toward ‘repeat’ experiences and would rather read something new!

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
Welcome to PersonalityCafe!

*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings britt and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFOuSaYN1w

Again, welcome to our forum britt. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S.

Please tip me 1 gold. I need to buy more coffee! @[email protected]

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
britt;347645[U said:
][/u]
* Tell us in a brief paragraph or two how you would describe yourself and what you hope to get out of this forum.
i love interacting and learning w/all different kinds of people; everyone has a story to tell and brings a unique perspective to the table. i was also drawn to join this forum because i finally felt that’d i’d found others of ‘my kind’ w/whom i could share interpretations of the world. being an ENFP, i love interacting w/a wide variety of people, but i often feel like more of an observer at times because i can so clearly perceive what’s going on beneath the surface in people and their interactions w/others. and I’ve found that a great many people are not interested in looking any deeper than what they can take in w/their 5 senses…as i’ve seen written before, a feeling of being a ‘social loner’ accompanies me through life. i’d like to use this forum to discuss this (and other) phenomena w/other people interested in further exploration of the human psyche and social psychology.do.
God and Souls - i am blessed to have discovered Buddhism several yrs ago!although i have never been able to align myself w/any one organized religion (i think there is certainly something to be learned from *all* faiths), i have discovered that Buddhism is most in line w/my personal philosophies.
I love what you have to say about people and social interaction and also about religion!
I absolutely agree with you on those things in particular...about feeling like a social loner, about wanting to know people on a deeper level and not on the surface, and about being exposed to many different religions
Welcome to PC

I messed up the /quote thingy, but whatever, it doesn't matter xD
/huggles :)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
ENFP's are the shit arent we? haha
I'm pretty sure I know the correct response to this: Duh. ENFPs are awesome. :happy:

Also, welcome to the forum, britt. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Welcome to forum! You sound like a fantastic person.

Your jobs sound amazing, and I am totally jealous. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@queenofleaves, thank you so much for your kind welcome! i feel like a kid in a candy store--i have so much to learn from everyone here and it feels wonderful to know i will have a group of like-minded truth-seekers to bounce ideas and observations off of, to share insights and struggles, to help each other on our unique paths to enlightenment and the true freedom it brings!

i am so glad to know my fellow ENFPs will not judge me for my effusive exuberance and unrestrained passion in my exploration of all this world has to offer...(i tend to go a little overboard on the exclamation points, but i can't really help it when it's what i truly feel!) i feel that i have lived too many years already feeling stifled by my internalization of societal norms and expectations, and by my own brutal self-criticisms. it feels amazing to be able to freely share my OWN truth in a community of people who practice the same love and understanding as I do. thank you again for your warm welcome!

@Faulty Logic, i completely agree that we ENFPs are so incredibly lucky to go thru life w/our sense of child-like wonderment, love and acceptance of all other living creatures, and passion to be the change we wish to see in this world (thank you, Gandhi) and to help others on their journey of self-discovery. as you said it so succinctly, we ENFPs really are the shit!!

@Primus, and i love your kindness and warmth! (...and especially your sexy Al Einstein pic! talk about 'the whole package'! haha :)

@Grey, thank you! with your 3,420 and counting posts, i can certainly predict that you will be a person from whom i will learn a lot and to whom i should pay close attention! ;-)

@SpacemonkeyX, yes to the nth power...ENFPs are *awesome*! i almost fell out of my chair when i realized there were others out there like me who processed the world through a similar lens to mine...i have always loved people, but i knew from a very young age that i was not exactly like most of them. did you feel that way too? is this a common theme in the lives of ENFPs? thank you, sweet gods of the Internet for allowing a truly 'global community' to be created & maintained!

@Azrael, thank you for the welcome! i feel like such a dork that i just had to look up 'ftw' b/c i had no idea what it meant! i hope to pick up on the online lingo w/more practice ;-)

@Lady K, your lovely words made my day! i felt the same way when i discovered personalitycafe...i was blown away by many of the posts i read & i could not believe there were so many incredible, self-actualized human beings gathered in one location w/a common purpose to provide understanding, insight, kindness, and support to one another. i have never in my life been tempted to join an online forum, but i knew i could not let this opportunity pass me by! thank you again for making me feel special & i can't wait to learn more about everyone here's life and experiences!

@skycloud86, thank you! i can't wait till i have learned more about personality theory & can understand what "a well balanced INTP w/a developed Fi" actually translates to! haha, my newbie ignorance makes me laugh out loud :)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I love your words! They ooze ENFP hehe
I agree with/relate to pretty much all you're saying

·
Registered
683 Posts
OOO Buddhism! We should talk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.