Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do ISFJs not like to grin? I don't like doing it. From what I've observed in photo threads, every photo of an ISFJ I see on here is a person who doesn't grin. He or she smiles, but does not open his or her mouth.

Do you like grinning? Yes or no?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I find myself grinning all the time, whether from an internal hilarious thought, or seeing my friends having a great time around. As for pictures, my default is a full teeth, ear to ear smile, which to me looks faked. But, everyone else seems to think it's very photogenic.

Of course, there are also a lot of pictures were I'm smiling into the camera with my lips pursed together and an eyebrow raised, like I'm sharing a thought with the camera...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'm like Handi, for the most part I hate grinning. I've also had some people tell me I don't smile enough. I think for me it's just that I can be kind of shy and get socially uncomfortable sometimes. I also have a very calm, quiet peacefulness about me which is the way I feel my happiness, and a lot of times that doesn't show outwardly.

But as far as grinning goes, I don't like doing it for the most part. I don't know how much of this is related to type, though.

Reactions: HandiAce

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well to start, there is this. It is socionics, but...

"ISFjs normally have slightly thick lips which they normally keep tightly together."

It's not like I don't grin. I do it a lot when I'm excited by a thought. But I don't like expressing myself to other people by grinning. Not to mention cameras. It's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Grinning is a kind of half smile, that normally results from pleasure or amusement.

I grin all the time, especially at a connection I suddenly make or a hilarious thought that pops into my head. I inherited my grandmals grin, and am usually seen grinning when thinking about something or being "sneaky sneaky". I can keep a strait face if I want to though.

I do not like to forcibly grin or smile. You will rarely see me smiling in photos. I very much dislike my smile, especially if it is forced.

Just because I am not smiling does not mean I am not happy. This confuses a lot of my NF friends. I like to be happy and have a good time and laugh. A good deal of misunderstanding of ISFJ simply comes from people not understanding our facial expressions. Its quite sad.

Reactions: HandiAce

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Maybe they're self-conscious about their teeth? I don't like grinning, because I'm always afraid that my teeth will contrast with my eyebrows and look horrifyingly yellow...

People tell me they're white, but I disagree. I want Ross Gellar white, except I can't bleach my teeth due to VERY bad sensitivity. It felt like being electrocuted in the mouth...yikes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I apparently do not smile enough because people tell me to smile often. A lot of times I'm not in a bad mood, but I'm not in a mood where I'm going to just be grinning for no reason. In pictures or if something makes me laugh, I'll definitely be grinning though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do not like to forcibly grin or smile. You will rarely see me smiling in photos. I very much dislike my smile, especially if it is forced.

Just because I am not smiling does not mean I am not happy. This confuses a lot of my NF friends. I like to be happy and have a good time and laugh. A good deal of misunderstanding of ISFJ simply comes from people not understanding our facial expressions. Its quite sad.
I get misunderstood also...i dont like the shape of my mouth (weird, perhaps?) but when i smile with teeth, the corners of my mouth go outward, not upward, and looks kind of like a grimace. smiling mouth closed result in 'happy eyes' and 'high cheekbones' which in my opinion looks alot nicer on me.
I HATE forcing a smile for a camera, it always looks forced...recently having partaken in the wedding party fr a friend became very self-conscious about not wanting to ruin photos with a faked smile and therefore became the mouth-closed, then always being told by phtoographer to show some teeth, which creates the grimace effect.
Also, because of my mouth shape, in general situations, normal, not smiling, but in a happy mood, my mouth kind of turns downward which in turn makes people constantly ask me "what's wrong" "arent you having fun" "is everything ok" "are we boring you" etc etc etc...and i alwys have to re-iterate that IM FINE, IM in a good mood, just because im not in Full smile mode which seems to come naturally to people with beautiful smiles and mouth shapes, doesnt mean im hating where i am or im bored.

Not sure if thats a personality trait of ISFJ or just simply the shape of my mouth...
on the upside i do have quite nice plump lips that look great in gloss :) :laughing:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I get misunderstood also...i dont like the shape of my mouth (weird, perhaps?) but when i smile with teeth, the corners of my mouth go outward, not upward, and looks kind of like a grimace. smiling mouth closed result in 'happy eyes' and 'high cheekbones' which in my opinion looks alot nicer on me.
I HATE forcing a smile for a camera, it always looks forced...recently having partaken in the wedding party fr a friend became very self-conscious about not wanting to ruin photos with a faked smile and therefore became the mouth-closed, then always being told by phtoographer to show some teeth, which creates the grimace effect.
Also, because of my mouth shape, in general situations, normal, not smiling, but in a happy mood, my mouth kind of turns downward which in turn makes people constantly ask me "what's wrong" "arent you having fun" "is everything ok" "are we boring you" etc etc etc...and i alwys have to re-iterate that IM FINE, IM in a good mood, just because im not in Full smile mode which seems to come naturally to people with beautiful smiles and mouth shapes, doesnt mean im hating where i am or im bored.
Damn, this totally.

I think with people I'm bonding with - friends, people I find interesting, safe with or like - I'm hood with expressions, however when my Fe doesn't start to bounce with them, my face and expressions are toned down and I don't realise as I'm not as focused on sending out good signals, and I feel like I know where I am a little in connecting with them and interpreting emotions, to a small extent, so my face is freed up and rather expressive of the emotions I don't necessarily experience fuly until they're reflected back.

It's a bit garbled and confused, but anywho.

I guess sometimes I'm not sure what's hear when I don't know what I'm interacting with.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think my introversion kinda takes me into my own world frequently.... Well, the Si. In those times, I just don't really put anything on my face. I'm sure I look like a real goober. Get told I need to smile more, because of those situations. But I also find it takes a lot of energy to get all outwardly happy and smiley with people. I can do it, and charm the stripes off a tiger, but it takes energy that I don't always have. It's not my disposition I guess.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I smile in pictures but dont grin if I can help it. My teeth are in shambles from neglect and Im very ashamed of them. I hardly ever laugh or speak in public for this reason also. I would have to say when a person grins they do look more happy than just plain smiling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts