Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you work better independently than in a group. The Kiersey theory states that all NT's work better alone as well as SP's. Then, it states that NF's and SJ's work better in a group. Once again, I am doubting Kiersey's theories. I have met some INTJ's (especially the enneagram 6 ones prefer to work in groups). However, I find that most NT's do prefer to work alone than in groups. Most NF's usually prefer to work with groups. I have found that a lot of ESFP's and ISFP's prefer to work in groups. I have never known an ESTP to work better in groups though. Also, I have found that ESTJ's often prefer to work independently as well. I want your thoughts on this though. I want to see how this pans out.

Are you more group oriented or more of a lone rider? I am more group oriented by the way.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Depends on the type of work, but if it's thinking work then I need to be left alone to do my thinking. I might join others to collaborate and collect information, then I'm back on my own again to think some more. I like being part of a team as long as I have enough space to do my own thing, since I enjoy the camaraderie and feel more motivated that way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've found that when I'm doing group work, others tend to sit and chat ideas a lot, I tend to think for a bit then just start getting on with it. Like we had to come up with a list of ideas for something and I just started to write mine down while others chatted so long they hardly achieved anything in the time!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I prefer to work alone if I'm not leading the group. I might not lead if I'm not competent enough, in which case I rather not be delegated menial tasks anyways. Plus, if I do need to learn more before I can be completely competent, I would rather learn it alone and show my ignorance only to the mirror.

·
mafia mod
13,316 Posts
Definitely alone. I work in spurts, coming up with ideas and plans sort of randomly andworking on my own timetable, versus a groups timetable.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
ALONE. Working with others is very inhibiting to my "flow". I can no longer work at my own pace, and I must rely on others, who are most likely incompetent (more often than not). If that is the case, I end up doing all the work alone anyway, only this time, I'm extremely pissed off.

Reactions: RyRyMini

·
Registered
751 Posts
This summer semester, my English teacher announced the first day that there was going to be a lot of group work that we'd do in class. After that comment, I was seriously debating dropping the course and probably would have if it weren't the only one that fit into my schedule.

The semester's almost over, and it honestly hasn't been that bad. It's just not my preference - if I work alone I feel like I can progress my original thoughts best without having to step over or cater to others.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It depends. In a musical setting I always prefer to work as part of a group. But, for anything else...get the hell away from me so I can work. If I want your help I'll ask you for it. Cah-peachy (capice)?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I prefer to work alone. I eman you can get together and brainstorm ideas, but other people can be really distracting and make it hard for me to do work. I guess it can be hard to fgiure out how to delegate work.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My situation....

Generally lone wolf suits me better though there are some times where I prefer a group dynamic though this is usually when I'd want a support group or discussion on a topic rather than productive stuff done.

·
Banned
932 Posts
I dread group projects unless they are with trusted colleagues who I know I will work well with and who will do their part- which is rare. I always end up doing all the work otherwise.

If I had the choice though, I'd almost always rather work alone.

·
Banned
166 Posts
Depends.
On paper I work better alone (haha pun well kinda), but since working alone is boring I end up taking breaks every 2 minutes ._.
I prefer to work in team.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm an INFP and I usually hate working in groups. I'm usually the one who thinks the quickest, and everybody else drags me down. Most of the time if I'm involved in a group project, I end up doing all the work because nobody else thinks as quickly or as well as I do.

On a very, very rare occasion, I've worked extremely well in a group of two, but it has to be with someone I both intellectually and creatively connect with... which, like I said, is pretty rare. ^^;

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to like working with people, but as I've gotten older, I prefer to work alone. I feel I can accomplish so much more, if I don't have to mediate within a group. And, I don't function well unless there is harmony.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This summer semester, my English teacher announced the first day that there was going to be a lot of group work that we'd do in class. After that comment, I was seriously debating dropping the course and probably would have if it weren't the only one that fit into my schedule.

The semester's almost over, and it honestly hasn't been that bad. It's just not my preference - if I work alone I feel like I can progress my original thoughts best without having to step over or cater to others.
I dread group projects unless they are with trusted colleagues who I know I will work well with and who will do their part- which is rare. I always end up doing all the work otherwise.

If I had the choice though, I'd almost always rather work alone.
Exactly, I don't like long term group projects in school because then one guy gets stuck with all the work while the other people sit back, relax, and take the credit.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I like working with groups especially if there's a fellow NT or an ST in the group so we can get the ball rolling. I've actually worked in a group with ESFPs and it worked well but we were all friends for years so... meh. Other times I've worked in a group with an ENFP and all he did was screw around while I got the all the work done. It was all good though since that guy couldn't work his way out of a paper bag and I get energized from working so it was a win-win for us.

Yeahhh... I like being the leader in a group and now that I think about it, I WAS the leader of many a group project in the past! LMAO :laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts