Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap it never fails...When you are force to work in groups there is always that lazy bastard that doesn't do anything..so I have to pick up the slack for the group and do most of the work. I've always hated working In groups mainly because I work better on my own...and I learn better on my own. Why do I have to teach other students the material? I'm not getting paid to teach.

Are there any ISTPs that actually like working in groups?
Any one found a solution to the lazy bastard?
And I need a logical explanation as to why I should teach others when I'm not getting paid for it other than to be nice. They can read and think like everyone else.

P.S. Sitting here doing my "Group Project" for Anatomy 204 class that's due tomorrow at 8am.....and doing the lazy bastards portion as well my part was done 3 days ago. :angry:

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
My university life was filled with the trauma of working in groups. I always ended up having to do everything, plus I had to waste time trying to find easy tasks for the others to do so they wouldn't feel left out. Pure hell.

Sitting here doing my "Group Project" for Anatomy 204 class that's due tomorrow at 8am.....and doing the lazy bastards portion as well my part was done 3 days ago.
Ah, memories.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I sometimes don't mind working in study groups, it's just that I sometimes don't know if we're all on the same page. We can bounce study questions off each other but whenever there's something that I think I missed I end up stressing out. Hey, it's med school. What else do you expect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hate group work. It takes forever to come to a consensus, and there is always at least one annoying person in the group. There is also always a loud one who will inevitably become 'the leader' and tell everyone what to do, even though he/she would have the crappiest idea. Then, I find that I can't do things my way because there are all these other people that I have to take into consideration. And worst is when my piece looks the best but then the whole group gets the credit for it; and I get to look bad because of their bits of the project. Teamwork sucks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So far I have only been in one team that didn't suck, that I can remember. Well the individuals didn't suck anyway. Teamwork is not my thing and as the op. said. Surprisingly enough, I feel I have to do the most work and pull the group forward.

Who are these lazy people anyway? I don't remember them well enough to type them. Usually immature girls and emo boys is what I can think of.

I guess the idea with the group is to learn to work in a group, not so much the work done, but the teachers probably can't pick the members. They should have read some MBTI stuff, or they are afraid and instead choose the ones which will cause the least protests when forming.
It have occurred to me that people are afraid to do the right thing and I get remembered of that every day.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Group work = Torture.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I was the lazy in a group once when I didn't know what was going on (now don't all throw tomatoes at me). I've also had groups with other lazies in it so I can see how it sucks when people don't do their work.

I like groups where everyone is competent and willing and they get along and the project is organised and people aren't running around like headless chooks not knowing what they are doing... and chit chat is not necessary... ok, not many groups are like that.

I guess group work is a chance to learn how to get people to work together. If you had a job where you were the manager/supervisor and you had lazies on your team not doing work but you weren't allowed to fire them, what would you do? I'd probably make this face for a while::angry:

I heard one of the things needed for good group work is a thing called 'communication'. But I'm not too familiar with that thing:unsure:

·
Registered
376 Posts
no, I do not like group work or group efforts. When I was in school (or sometimes even work) I would get extremely frustrated with other people when it took forever for them to grasp a concept. I would just start working ahead in hopes that everything would be alright.

When I was in the Army the "lazy bastard" was usually the one who get everyone in trouble during basic. I and a few others had to pick up the slack for the meek and feeble minded. Rolling around in the dirt and doing a million push-ups was not my idea of a good time just because someone thought it would be a better idea to "sit this one out". No matter where you go or what you do you will find yourself making up for others...at least I do.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Group work means that a group of people will start snickering and gossiping and doing absolutely nothing sensible while waiting that the one with most at stake would give up and agree to do the work him/herself.

Advice:
1) try to get into a group with a load of notorious slackers and (at least) one girl with high grades (who doesn't want to see her grades sink because of you slackers)
2) avoid leader-type people as they were pest

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I always try to seize control of the group, just so I can list who did what in the report.

And I will name the lazy bastards by name.

X did this.
Y did this part.
Z is a lazy useless fucker that wouldn't do shit.

I have also repeatedly gotten into trouble for doing this.

Now, I just go to my boss and say you either make Z pull his weight or get him off my team. I'm not putting up with it. If he won't take care of it then I'll start saying it in the middle of meetings.

Funny though, everybody fights to be on my teams. Except lazy bastards.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I always try to seize control of the group, just so I can list who did what in the report.

And I will name the lazy bastards by name.

X did this.
Y did this part.
Z is a lazy useless fucker that wouldn't do shit.

I have also repeatedly gotten into trouble for doing this.

Now, I just go to my boss and say you either make Z pull his weight or get him off my team. I'm not putting up with it. If he won't take care of it then I'll start saying it in the middle of meetings.

Funny though, everybody fights to be on my teams. Except lazy bastards.
That just made my day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hehe ISTPs. Hug?

I know the lazy ones you talk about. But I think that if you play to their strengths, they will be more helpful and motivated. For example, that "lazy" one might not be so good with doing the research or coming up with novel ideas. However, you could get him/her to contribute in other ways that work better to his/her strengths e.g. putting together the PowerPoint slides.

·
Registered
376 Posts
hehe ISTPs. Hug?

I know the lazy ones you talk about. But I think that if you play to their strengths, they will be more helpful and motivated. For example, that "lazy" one might not be so good with doing the research or coming up with novel ideas. However, you could get him/her to contribute in other ways that work better to his/her strengths e.g. putting together the PowerPoint slides.
I don't know about the others, but I'm not very good figuring that stuff out. I feel that if you know what your strengths are you should just go ahead and contribute. I know that I'm good at putting things in order, so when a situation calls for that, I just do it. There are some that just don't do that. They would prefer just not work...period, end of story. I think it all boils down to work ethic. I mean there are some people who just need a little direction and that's okay in my book. They are willing to work but just need some ideas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If I were evil I would say this...
bluefaerie, you're off my team! And I have a hard time with sudden hugs from random people.
...but since I'm not I will say this much more constructive instead.

Who are we really talking about? INFPs?
I am not a leader and I also do not have the skill to assess the abilities of an unknown introvert(some are extroverts) just sitting there.
If we are talking about INFP or if you have enough skill of "the people" to help me out here... how do I put someone like that into good use? Without the whip.

I have a hard time to believe asking: "Everyone, what could you do?" Would solve it since they wont come up with any useful answer. "I don't know", "Well..." is not useful.
I believe some people just don't care or possibly got mental or social problems. Those are untouchable, at least by me.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I finished the project in time... only 3 more to go in this class...and we are stuck with the same groups ....ugh..:frustrating::unsure:....

Is it always illegal to kill someone in your group...? I have a splitting headache now from the 2hrs of sleep I got...Its bed time for this guy.....my narcolepsy meds are finally wearing off.. thank god....

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
No!!! That's precisely what makes group work so unbearable. When you have to waste time trying to find cute little manageable tasks for all those useless slackers, it's nothing more than unpaid babysitting. Oh god, flashbacks... the flashbacks are happening. Oh god, shoot me now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I work in small group settings very frequently. Even with music it gets to be a drag when one person isn't carrying their weight, such as not practicing at home and wasting rehearsal time learning a song. I also tend to be the most motivated and driven person in most bands I'm in, which makes the lazy-asses think they can just leech off of me to get their own motivation and drive.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I work in small group settings very frequently. Even with music it gets to be a drag when one person isn't carrying their weight, such as not practicing at home and wasting rehearsal time learning a song. I also tend to be the most motivated and driven person in most bands I'm in, which makes the lazy-asses think they can just leech off of me to get their own motivation and drive.
Still, in a band it would be impossible for one of the musicians to literally do nothing. I can see how they could leech off your energy, but when it comes down to it they have to play the music or they're out. In a school setting, group work is hell because the slackers literally do nothing and there's fuck-all you can do about it. If you complain to the professor, all you get is "well you know, when you're out working in the real world you're going to be doing teamwork all the time so you better get used to it, mmkay?"

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I was in the military, you could still find slackers but when we worked as a team everyone pulled their weight, and if they didn't real crap that could effect them could slowly start coming down, paper work, etc. In the civilian world at least in a college setting there's nothing like that. I refuse to take a grade hit for some fool, and if I could I'd stab the slacker in some way just to say F U buddy! Damn Parasites..

·
Registered
889 Posts
Still, in a band it would be impossible for one of the musicians to literally do nothing. I can see how they could leech off your energy, but when it comes down to it they have to play the music or they're out. In a school setting, group work is hell because the slackers literally do nothing and there's fuck-all you can do about it. If you complain to the professor, all you get is "well you know, when you're out working in the real world you're going to be doing teamwork all the time so you better get used to it, mmkay?"
I was in one band where the extent of bassist's playing was quite literally just pounding on his instrument...through a 1200 watt stack. To me, in my work environment, that is literally doing nothing.

I've also played several years of team sports (football, basketball, and soccer).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts