Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been a gamer since 2000, and for someone who treats likes and hobbies like a giant box of chocolates with each piece bitten only once (I tend to jump from one thing to another quite often) and to also be so amazingly picky about what games I want to play... this is not a great combo.

I always dread getting excited over an upcoming game that I really wanna try (Black Desert, Shroud of the Avatar, Story version of The Long Dark, list goes on) to only become unattached to it after so many weeks of playing.
I mean, really. The longest I've ever stayed on a game is a year and a half. And that's one of those $70 "SpeeEEEEEcial" box set types.

I seem to play games depending on mood. Strike One: My mood changes SO MUCH. On top of that, there are certain game elements that I don't have an interest in, that are found in just about 90% of today's games. Zombies, *too much* blood and gore, Horror... my imagination is too vivid, and the images don't leave my mind for days. I can't even sleep if the games I played were that shocking or grotesque...

Beside that, certain platforms simply don't interest me, such as Racing, FPS (I like TPS better, and those are so few), crime games, Noir, Visual Novels, Platformers, Turn-Based, Rouge-types, MOBAs, Fighting (like street fighting, etc.)...
So that's the second strike against me, that I'm so annoyingly picky about the Platform... I love Third Person, TPS, sandbox, Survival, strategy and Adventure, but almost each game in these genres HAVE to have one or a combo of the before-mentioned elements - zombies, gore, Noir, etc.

Obviously this makes it EXTREMELY HARD for me to find any games that are great for me. So when I finally DO find a cute lil' handful of games that fit me like a glove and I really dig into'em... in comes the issue where I lose interest in them after just so much time. Strike Three!!

*GUUH!!!* Why does my personality always have to BE like this?!?!
And I truly can't even make myself play a game after I've lost interest - believe me, I've actually tried. -_-

It sounds like a no-win. Sometimes, it really is.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I'm a gamer since 1990. This is happening to me too. My problem is that I can't "embrace the grind" as much. My attention span for games has gotten lower lately.

For example, I got Skyrim on a sale a year ago, I should love this game. But I'm not. And it's annoying, and I don't blame the game.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's not your picky your just familiar with many game mechanics, even though they put a new layer over it, you already been there so it does get more boring. At least that's how I explain my feeling about gaming, used to be very into it but lately I can look at my steam library, thinking I want to play something then starting it up and then 10 seconds in the game I'm like nah.

You just get to the point your not really a gamer anymore :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
A lot of those games you get detached from fast is likely gaining press attention because they can review it so quickly. Sometimes they call them "competition" games where they would likely win an award from a game development competition.

But then they aren't always lasting.

Although I'm biased because I have released a game on steam.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm very picky about my games too, and my tastes are perhaps more niche in some respects. I think there's so many games out there that no matter what you're into, there's bound to be a game you haven't played that you'll enjoy. I tend to be a completionist, so with most games I like I will aim for 90-100% - especially achievements. As an extreme example, I completed Batman Arkham Asylum 5 times over to 100%. I feel so proficient at that game I can do it start to finish (100%) in under 10 hours. I think game genres are also becoming increasingly muddled as different elements from genres find their way into games primarily within another genre.

If you like 3rd person shooters or sandbox games, there's plenty of those. I recommend Saints Row 3 and IV if you want a good laugh.

I believe that being picky is a good thing. With all the overwhelming choice there is nowadays, there's no reason to have low standards. I value my time and money, so I will only invest them in games that I believe will meet my expectations and/or standards. My friend tells me I'm very picky with games and will massively exaggerate my ratings, but he has so many games to play that even if you gave him 3 years with nothing else to do he still wouldn't get through them. Don't get me wrong, I like to try different things every once in a while but I'd rather spend hundreds of hours on one game that I love than a few hours on hundreds of games that are sub-par.

TL;DR: Be picky! There's so many games out there, you're spoilt for choice no matter what you're looking for. If obscure genres and simulators exist, then there'll be thousands of games that meet your criteria.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I really appreciate all the replies, Everyone, thank you so much. There were two "Thanks" up there as well, but I edited the OP and the notification went away :(. I'm sorry, I didn't know that it would do that!

... You just get to the point your not really a gamer anymore :)
Hopefully I shall never get to that point. I love virtual reality, and games have always been a wonderful way of exploring that. If my hobbies fell to me not liking them anymore, I'd no longer like crocheting, baking, writing music, so on.

I think I just need to learn how to simmer my moods down and set better solidify a solution for my gaming. I just don't have a clear picture of how to do that yet.

I tend to be a completionist, so with most games I like I will aim for 90-100% - especially achievements. As an extreme example, I completed Batman Arkham Asylum 5 times over to 100%.
I'm one who doesn't want to repeat a story after I've finished it, because I know everything that's gonna happen now, so it won't be as exciting or thrilling. If it's a story I enjoyed immensely, I'll wait quite a long time till I go to it again (months to years), cause by then I'll forget a lot of little details and some key points, so I can enjoy a great deal of the same story again. The same goes for single-player games for me, as well as "Beginner Islands" of online games, or creating new characters in the same lands as a former character.

5,146 Posts
Found this thingie on ENTJ subforum:
https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/10

My results:

The Action Components (74%)

Gamers with high Action scores are aggressive and like to jump in the fray and be surrounded by dramatic visuals and effects. Gamers with low Action scores prefer slower-paced games with calmer settings.

Destruction (89%): Gamers who score high on this component are agents of chaos and destruction. They love having many tools at their disposal to blow things up and cause relentless mayhem. They enjoy games with lots of guns and explosives. They gravitate towards titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield. And if they accidentally find themselves in games like The Sims, they are the ones who figure out innovative ways to get their Sims killed.

Excitement (45%): Gamers who score high on this component enjoy games that are fast-paced, intense, and provide a constant adrenaline rush. They want to be surprised. They want gameplay that is full of action and thrills, and rewards them for rapid reaction times. While this style of gameplay can be found in first-person shooters like Halo, it can also be found in games like Street Fighter and Injustice, as well as energetic platformers like BIT.TRIP RUNNER.

The Mastery Components (32%)

Gamers with high Mastery scores like challenging gaming experiences with strategic depth and complexity. Gamers with low Mastery scores enjoy being spontaneous in games and prefer games that are accessible and forgiving when mistakes are made.

Challenge (21%): Gamers who score high on Challenge enjoy playing games that rely heavily on skill and ability. They are persistent and take the time to practice and hone their gameplay so they can take on the most difficult missions and bosses that the game can offer. These gamers play at the highest difficulty settings and don’t mind failing missions repeatedly in games like Dark Souls because they know it’s the only way they’ll master the game. They want gameplay that constantly challenges them.

Strategy (50%): Gamers who score high on this component enjoy games that require careful decision-making and planning. They like to think through their options and likely outcomes. These may be decisions related to balancing resources and competing goals, managing foreign diplomacy, or finding optimal long-term strategies. They tend to enjoy both the tactical combat in games like XCOM or Fire Emblem, as well as seeing their carefully-devised plans come to fruition in games like Civilization, Cities: Skylines, or Europa Universalis.

The Achievement Components (3%)

Gamers with high Achievement scores are driven to accrue power, rare items, and collectibles, even if this means grinding for a while. Gamers with low Achievement scores have a relaxed attitude towards in-game achievements and don’t worry too much about their scores or progress in the game.

Completion (4%): Gamers with high Completion scores want to finish everything the game has to offer. They try to complete every mission, find every collectible, and discover every hidden location. For some players, this may mean completing every listed achievement or unlocking every possible character/move in a game. For gamers who score high on Customization, this may mean collecting costumes and mounts in games like World of Warcraft.

Power (5%): Gamers who score high on this component strive for power in the context of the game world. They want to become as powerful as possible, seeking out the tools and equipment needed to make this happen. In RPGs and action games, this may mean maxing stats or acquiring the most powerful weapons or artifacts. Power and Completion often go hand in hand, but some players enjoy collecting cosmetic items without caring about power, and some players prefer attaining power through strategic optimization rather than grinding.

The Social Components (15%)

Gamers with high Social scores enjoy interacting with other players, often regardless of whether they are collaborating or competing with them. Gamers with low Social scores prefer solo gaming experiences where they can be independent.

Competition (56%): Gamers who score high on this component enjoy competing with other players, often in duels, matches, or team-vs-team scenarios. Competitive gameplay can be found in titles like Starcraft, League of Legends, or the PvP Battlegrounds in World of Warcraft. But competition isn’t always overtly combative; competitive players may care about being acknowledged as the best healer in a guild, or having a high ranking/level on a Facebook farming game relative to their friends.

Community (2%): Gamers who score high on Community enjoy socializing and collaborating with other people while gaming. They like chatting and grouping up with other players. This might be playing Portal 2 with a friend, playing Mario Kart at a party, or being part of a large guild/clan in an online game. They enjoy being part of a team working towards a common goal. For them, games are an integral part of maintaining their social network.

The Immersion Components (30%)

Gamers with high Immersion scores want games with interesting narratives, characters, and settings so they can be deeply immersed in the alternate worlds created by games. Gamers with low Immersion scores are more grounded in the gameplay mechanics and care less about the narrative experiences that games offer.

Fantasy (68%): Gamers who score high on Fantasy want their gaming experiences to allow them to become someone else, somewhere else. They enjoy the sense of being immersed in an alter ego in a believable alternate world, and enjoy exploring a game world just for the sake of exploring it. These gamers enjoy games like Skyrim, Fallout, and Mass Effect for their fully imagined alternate settings.

Story (10%): Gamers who score high on Story want games with elaborate campaign storylines and a cast of multidimensional characters with interesting back-stories and personalities. They take the time to delve into the back-stories of characters in games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and enjoy the elaborate and thoughtful narratives in games like The Last of Us and BioShock. Gamers who score low on Story tend to find dialogue and quest descriptions to be distracting and skip through them if possible.

The Creativity Components (6%)

Gamers with high Creativity scores are constantly experimenting with their game worlds and tailoring them with their own designs and customizations. Gamers with low Creativity scores are more practical in their gaming style and accept their game worlds as they are.

Discovery (9%): Gamers who score high on Discovery are constantly asking “What if?” For them, game worlds are fascinating contraptions to open up and tinker with. In an MMO, they might swim out to the edge of the ocean to see what happens. In MineCraft, they might experiment with whether crafting outcomes differ by the time of day or proximity to zombies. They “play” games in the broadest sense of the word, often in ways not intended or imagined by the game’s developers.

Design (11%): Gamers who score high on this component want to actively express their individuality in the game worlds they find themselves in. In games like Mass Effect, they put a lot of time and effort in the character creation process. In city-building games or space strategy games, they take the time to design and customize exactly how their city or spaceships look. To this end, they prefer games that provide the tools and assets necessary to make this possible and easy to do.
I play mostly hardcore wargames, cRPGs and shooters.

To me one very important thing is Realistic Combat System. Something which is usually missing in cRPGs and shooters. So, I don't play much. Generally, I don't play

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm one who doesn't want to repeat a story after I've finished it, because I know everything that's gonna happen now, so it won't be as exciting or thrilling. If it's a story I enjoyed immensely, I'll wait quite a long time till I go to it again (months to years), cause by then I'll forget a lot of little details and some key points, so I can enjoy a great deal of the same story again. The same goes for single-player games for me, as well as "Beginner Islands" of online games, or creating new characters in the same lands as a former character.
Well if you just like games for the story, there's plenty out there. Like I say there's something for everyone. I personally aren't too bothered about story, for me it's all about the mechanics and gameplay - hence my favorite genre is racing games and shooters. I can never get bored of racing games. I've probably only played about 200 games in my life and I game quite a lot, so average playtime per game must be high. Thing is that I've always thought that anything other than gameplay and controls and mechanics in a game don't matter but games are becoming more movie-like. There's far more story-heavy games no than there was 10 years ago. Heck, there's more games of virtually ALL types that weren't around before - especially of niche genres. There's even games that aren't technically games because they have almost no interactivity or gameplay.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Found this thingie on ENTJ subforum:
https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/10

My results:

That test is neat! I got 87% Action, 75% Social, 69% Immersion, 49% Creativity, 13% Achievement, and 9% Mastery.

A large, open world, extensive character customization, great background music, good storyline, and overall immersion are very important to me. Games aren't just games to me; they're worlds to explore, and stories being told -- to be experienced with other players, too. This is why Mabinogi is my all-time favourite MMO, for it is the perfect blend of everything that I want in a game, whether it be singleplayer or multiplayer.

That being said, holy hell do I wander from MMO to MMO. I've played a staggering amount of them, from TERA to Aion to freaking Maplestory. I'll get hopelessly addicted and play nonstop for like a month, then I'll drop it cold and search for a new MMO. And every time this happens, my standards for MMOs get higher and higher, so I often get frustrated, much like the OP.

I always find myself coming back to Mabinogi, though, no matter how much I wander. And Elsword, that's another game I've been playing on and off for a long time. So yeah. I'm a lone wanderer traversing the Mojave -- er, I mean Videogame Wasteland.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
chart.jpg

Funny thing is that some of my favourite games are my favourites simply because they're immersive - especially Far Cry 1/2/3. A neat model though. I must make an admission though: I'm a bit of nerd in that I keep a spreadsheet of all the games I've played, what I would rate them and my estimated playtime range lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fantasy 88% and creativity 72% - explains why most video games don't appeal to me, since the market seems to demand the "action" and "social" aspects more than ever now, and I don't care enough to dig for a game better than Morrowind or Civilization. (So I guess that's my problem.) I'd even say "mastery" has taken a backseat given how easy most games are now.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts

I only play games where I can design my own characters. If I can't, then it's pointless and I might as well just watch somebody play the game on Twitch because the characters will look the same anyways and they'll probably be a better player than me because I absolutely suck at most forms of gameplay. But, I only play to share my designs with people. It's kind of heartbreaking when people play competitively against me and harass me without even acknowledging how creative my designs are. I hate competitive players. I just want to relax and have fun playing a nice mellow game.

I haven't touched the new Super Smash Bros game since a week after I bought it. I was excited about getting to use my original Miis as characters, but I was crestfallen when I found out that I couldn't share them with random strangers online. I've tried playing against people online, but I suck at the game so much that I lose every time and it's just not worth it if I can't at least share my original characters with them.

Reactions: Innogen
5,146 Posts
I recently got Epic 40k: Final Liberation form G.O.G. I'm working on a Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader mod for it with rebels as an opponent.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I'm a gamer since 1990. This is happening to me too. My problem is that I can't "embrace the grind" as much. My attention span for games has gotten lower lately.

For example, I got Skyrim on a sale a year ago, I should love this game. But I'm not. And it's annoying, and I don't blame the game.
Ironically I've been putting a ton of hours into Skyrim lately.

Sometimes you just have to commit a few hours to a game on the chance that you get drawn in.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I think boogie put it really well when he said "press A to not give a shit"

Modern games are basically all clones of the same two or three games. Thematically they are terrible: its basically "use gun and win". Ugh.

All the art and soul is shang tsung sucked from most modern games.

Squaresoft used to be my favourite fifteen years ago. Then they changed and Rockstar became my favourite.

Now Bethesda is my favourite. : D

Star Wars Battlefront will come out and it will basically be a game you have already played but with lasers instead of bullets.

Fallout 4 will be amazing on the other hand

1 - 20 of 40 Posts