Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
0) Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions?
No

1) Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it. Can't post link to photo.

The photo I selected was of two people in the water with dolphins as the sun was setting. Initially I began to think how amazing this experience would be, how the dolphins would feel, the sounds that would surround me (E.G. rushing waves, dolphins speaking, birds, wind.)

after the initial emotional connection, I can see this being a very relaxing setting a place to recharge (so long as the second person doesn't talk a lot; if they do I'll just swim to the other side of those rocks and sit and watch the sunset)

I relate that humans are very much like the animals around us. We have become so disconnected from our basic roots that sometimes I think we take advantage of the world around us. How many people actually stop to acknowledge that an animal is a being just like ourselves, they just have different forms of communication.

2) You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favorite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

initial thoughts.​

• my thoughts would be on the situation and how to fix it, maybe some frustration that we are now stuck.
  • try to estimate how long will it will take to arrive from the closest town to our location.
  • Speculate on what might be wrong with the car, afterwards realize I know nothing about cars.
  • dwell on how this could have been prevented by not car pooling *glare*

outward reactions.​

• " this sucks, did somebody call a tow truck?" waiting for a tow truck, I would sit quietly and think.

3) You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the after party that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I don't personally enjoy parties, my feelings about this would be pretty aloof.
I tell the driver that I would like to be dropped off before they go to the party as I do not want to attend.
If I end up going to the party because the driver is a jerk and wont drop me off or the distance is to far I will call a cab and go home. While waiting I would probably people watch and observe what they are all doing. The mindless jabber of the extroverted world, speaking but with no real meaning, no depth.

4) On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

inwardly
relate their opinion back to my personal value and try to understand that it is only their opinion.
I may re-evaluate my own personal beliefs based off their judgement, but typically not.

outwardly
keep to myself, everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's all this is.
state facts and logic on why their belief is wrong to me, if they stand by a belief that is immoral or just absurd I will lose respect for that person.

5) What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits.
the question says previous beliefs? but if they are previous beliefs then it wouldn't really be relevant at that time. I may go into introspection about the type of person I was back then and how I have changed throughout that time span.
If it was something that clashes with my current beliefs (It would have to be pretty severe) I will state the facts behind my belief and explain why that person is wrong. If they stand by their belief after proven wrong with logic and facts I lose respect for them.

6) What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
personal growth
intelligence
fix, correct, or enhancement of a system
efficiency
self-reliance​

I think you should always strive for personal growth and intelligence, you can never have enough knowledge especially when it comes to knowing yourself and loving who you are. I strive for everything to be efficient at the same time I find myself always improving on something that is already in practice. I constantly question why something works a certain way, I usually try to get a broad perspective on it which involves gaining insight and criticism from others during the process. I don't know if my personal value's will ever change, if they do I don't know how this would come about, I suppose something life altering or maybe an epiphany or insight into something I couldn't figure out before. It is possible, I just can't say how.

7) a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else?
b)If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

The goods​
I sprinkle sarcasm on just about everything I do.
Angry=Cynical sarcasm - Funny=sarcasm - serious=sarcasm - sarcasm=even more sarcasm!
I am pretty open to new theories and brainstorming with other people who are open to new perspectives as well.
I enjoy being alone.

The bads​
Loner, I don't typically keep friends for long. Occasionally I walk away from friendships for no good reason at all.
I try to fix everything or improve it.

what I would change about me.... I always lose my keys, I have a terrible memory, I forget dates and names, lack of empathy, my spouse says I can be inconsiderate to other's feelings but I feel I am very considerate in my own way. I have trouble relating to my child who is sensitive and is strongly using Fe function, I am more worried on fixing why my child is upset rather than comforting.

8) How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
Right now my hunches typically come to me in a social situation, I guess I was ignoring these feelings for a long time. I would get a hunch that somebody was being dishonest and shrug it off. Recently I have been listening to my hunches and have found it is pretty common they are right.

during my time researching MBTI I have gained a bigger understanding for these hunches in more than just social situations, I have had multiple "a-ha" moments in my time researching cognitive functions. my core person had been turned off for years and I am just now finding myself, I am also just now opening myself up to these gut feelings and allowing myself to rely on it as a 6th sense. I spent to long idle, on stand by mode waiting for something to happen to me or just not caring. I think my switch was turned off during childhood when my mother turned me away from my dreams and aspirations and had me look at reality, It wasn't pretty. (drifting off subject)

9) a) What activities energize you most?
b) What activities drain you most? Why?

• A - research, video games, reading
  • B - work (with a lot of people and drama)
I am very much an introvert, although I am not shy. If a topic comes up that I am interested in I may talk on for hours depending on the responses I receive from the other person. Usually this is in one on one conversations, I don't like large social situations and when I am put in one I go into "people watching" mode.

10) What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I typically repress my "what-if" questions because I tend to sound like a skeptic when I start asking, or I get a concrete answer when I was looking for an abstract response when this happens I get frustrated and think "well, I know that but think bigger." So I internalize my intuition a lot unless I find somebody who can brainstorm ideas with me.
I hate gossip, at work drama and rumors are really bad so I tend to keep to myself, if somebody approaches me for conversation I become skeptical about their true intentions.

I Have taken multiple cognitive functions test I come up either INTP or INTJ when I take the MBTI test I get INTJ every time.

FIRST cognitive function test
Te (Extroverted Thinking) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (95%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (95%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (45%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (30%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (10%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (15%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

second cognitive functions test
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.7)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24.8)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.1)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************************** (42.3)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************ (48.9)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************** (14.6)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************* (25.4)
average use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INTJ

Third cognitive functions test
Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
Ni - Ti - Ne - Te - Fi - Si - Se - Fe
Your Cognitive Functions:
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||||| 9.635
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||||||| 9.31
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||||||| 7.88
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||||||| 6.93
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||| 4.94
Introverted Sensation (Si) || 0.24
Extroverted Sensation (Se) || -1.75
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||| -3.32

RCOEI
Extroversion |||||||||| 40%
Orderliness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Emotional Stability |||||||||||||| 56%
Accommodation |||||||||||| 46%
Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||||| 62%
My enneagram is 5w6
my socionics is most likely ILI

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm tempted to suggest that you're an ISTJ. Have you looked into that type at all and the Si/Te functions? Otherwise, you might be an INTJ.

Now where's my cookie :wink:?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You answers are somewhat biased as you made research on MBTI before answering them.
You are most likely an INTP although your P preference is only slightly stronger than J. I prefer not to elaborate unless you ask me to.
As for the previous comments, I don't think that INFJ and ISTJ are even an option.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I see you've set your type to INTJ. Do you have any reasonable doubts that that is your type?

ILI and RCOEI correspond to MBTI INTJ. And it's not unusual for us to score highly on Ti or Ne on cognitive functions tests either. If you think you're a J rather than a P, I'd trust that first.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@ ballast
My doubt on Being an INTJ is that I relate more to the Ti description and I am unsure if I use Ni>Ne. Other than that I relate more to descriptions of an INTJ.

After learning about MBTI I wanted to learn more about the cognitive functions, when I took the online tests I was being scored as INTP. The cognitive fictions described with MBTI do not really match with Jung's original theory, maybe I am doubting my type because the more I learn the more I am doubting the whole theory of MBTI.

I suppose I just needed some outside perspective to make sure I was not way off on my type as well. INTJ is a fairly uncommon type for women, even though I have always felt different in life who hasn't at some point?

Added* is there any research to show INTJ sometimes have a high preference for Ti Ne? How did you come to that conclusion?

@ mbaruh
I have researched MBTI I wouldn't say I was being biased but trying to get straight to the major points necessary on this questionnaire. I can see INTP describing me in some ways, I don't feel I am stubborn when it comes to change, can I take the INTJ description and add sometimes spontaneous? Lol, Unless I am way off again.

@ candiedviolet
I actually have an ISTJ friend who I relate to in many aspects, he just isn't as theoretical as I am. He enjoys hearing me talk about my ideas but his responses are usually "I'm just a *******." I couldn't imagine thinking that way. I would have to ignore the cognitive functions since ISTJ= Si-Te-Fi-Ne.
It isn't likely I am an ISTJ just from the description of that type, I am not particularly loyal to friends but I stand up for them I tend to walk out on friendships often.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
From your answers you sounded more like an INTP but if you relate more to the INTJ description then that's that. If you haven't found this site yet try personalityjunkie.com it has interesting articles on cognitive functions and very detailed and accurate analysis of each type

·
Registered
924 Posts
@ ballast
My doubt on Being an INTJ is that I relate more to the Ti description and I am unsure if I use Ni>Ne. Other than that I relate more to descriptions of an INTJ.

After learning about MBTI I wanted to learn more about the cognitive functions, when I took the online tests I was being scored as INTP. The cognitive fictions described with MBTI do not really match with Jung's original theory, maybe I am doubting my type because the more I learn the more I am doubting the whole theory of MBTI.

I suppose I just needed some outside perspective to make sure I was not way off on my type as well. INTJ is a fairly uncommon type for women, even though I have always felt different in life who hasn't at some point?

Added* is there any research to show INTJ sometimes have a high preference for Ti Ne? How did you come to that conclusion?
In that case I should direct you to this post (also have a read of the entire thread; your favoring Ti is not unusual for self-typed INTJs). I've yet to meet an INTJ who didn't score high on Ti on those tests, myself included.

I also scored INTP on cognitive functions tests for exactly the same reason and it opened up a whole exploration for me. It didn't help that there's a bit of a stigma about mistyping as INTJ because it's "so rare" and "everyone wants to be one." So I took the time to really dig into it and decided that I'm definitely a J, not a P, and Ni really fits me the best in terms of describing my dominate cognitive process. It describes my thinking so well in fact that I didn't even understand what it was saying when I read descriptions of it. That being said, while figuring that out helped, and I do find the cognitive functions very useful, I don't take them or their stack order over the preference dimensions themselves which is what MBTI is really trying to measure.

As far as Jung's cognitive functions not being entirely consistent with MBTI revisions (as indeed the theory evolved and MBTI necessarily improved upon Jung's original ideas) and the different theories go, here's @Teybo from another thread:

I touched on my personal experience with dimension (or "dichotomy") tests vs. function tests in this post, if you're interested.

On a less personal note, psychologists (including MBTI practitioners and researchers) have collected decades of data indicating that human personality tendencies are governed by about 5 or so independent, central factors that exist in the population along continuous dimensions. In contrast, almost all attempts at finding objective evidence for function based personality models end up showing no support or actually showing that function models are specifically worse than dimension based models.

This information tells us that a function model, which is composed of a) discrete parts that b) are combined in an interactive way (inflecting the I/E dimension on the N/S dimension: "Ne", for example) rather than in an additive way (I+N+F+P, for example) is likely to have difficulties capturing the wider, fuller range of personality traits and expressions than a dimension model.

Related to this, assuming that you are reasonably aware of your own preferences and that your preferences are reasonably strong, a dimension or "dichotomy" based test is more likely to help you pinpoint your type than a function test (which nearly always produces confusing, hard to interpret, contradictory results that often do not match any MBTI type).

For more reading on functions vs. dimensions or "dichotomies", you could also read this insightful post by @reckful.

If you're interested in some extended reading/dialogue about the F/T dichotomy and related issues (including INFJ vs. INTJ), I suggest reading this post and many of the posts in this thread. If you want some input about P/J, check this post out.
Definitely recommend reading the linked discussions from INTJforum as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took a quick look through your original post and I don't think you're an NTP type at all. I saw zero Ti in the post haha (far more Fi-Te). My guess would be Fi-dom, possibly INFP.

Typing people based on online descriptions is really impossible though - there's just so little information, and the information that is there is not verifiable. You need to decide yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Curious: what made you think Fi dom?
It seems to me that Fi is stronger than Te, due to the fact almost the whole post is soaked in Fi-isms like " relate their opinion back to my personal value and try to understand that it is only their opinion ... everyone is entitled to their own opinion" and "you can never have enough knowledge especially when it comes to knowing yourself and loving who you are". I'd expect an ITJ to check the logic first, then the values, etc.

But she may just be a less logical kind of ITJ with a lot of Fi. There isn't enough relevant information to say.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
@ mbaruh
I have researched MBTI I wouldn't say I was being biased but trying to get straight to the major points necessary on this questionnaire. I can see INTP describing me in some ways, I don't feel I am stubborn when it comes to change, can I take the INTJ description and add sometimes spontaneous? Lol, Unless I am way off again.
Missed that part somehow. You don't have to fit your Type description 100%. The Type is guidelines to your personality. Some fit the description more, some less. I have an INTP friend, and I read about INTPs, and your answers definitely gave me a INTP vibe, but it's your call whether you can indetify more to the INTJ description or the INTP one.

Perhaps you think that you have Ti because you don't understand very well what it means.
Detailed INTP description
Detailed INTJ description
INTJ vs. INTP
INTJ's Te vs. INTP's Ti

*Notice that some articles have multiple pages.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It seems to me that Fi is stronger than Te, due to the fact almost the whole post is soaked in Fi-isms like " relate their opinion back to my personal value and try to understand that it is only their opinion ... everyone is entitled to their own opinion" and "you can never have enough knowledge especially when it comes to knowing yourself and loving who you are". I'd expect an ITJ to check the logic first, then the values, etc.

But she may just be a less logical kind of ITJ with a lot of Fi. There isn't enough relevant information to say.

You might as well be describing Ti instead of Fi, since they are somewhat similar.
Maybe she has Fi as an INTJ but I really doubt she is Fi dominant.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As far as the first two links, I have read INTP before and after reading it again I still don't relate; until they talk about Ti and occasionally the "what if" from Ne. The INTJ description fits me to a T, Everything on it matches except I have an average IQ :dry: I get all the sarcasm and aloof but not the brains, great. Add Ti and it is perfect.

The degree to which Fi plays a role in a given INTJs’ concerns and interests will vary according to his or her experiences (This may also impact whether an INTJ scores as an Enneagram 5w6 (lower Fi involvement) or 5w4 (higher Fi involvement)).
this was interesting.

Despite their knack for problem solving, INTJs may struggle to find their niche in the world because of their strong idealism and perfectionism. Some INTJs don’t just want to solve any problem, but the problems that have the biggest impact on the world at large.
also interesting, indecisiveness about career choice.

Since Ti is a Judging function, INTPs tend to be quite intentional about what they do. This is why, for instance, they are insistent on efficiency and can be quite miserly about how their time is being used.
on most days this is me, I budget my time based on the importance of the subject, efficient is my favorite word :unsure:

the last article I disliked due to the fact the author used Te Ni Ne Ti to often, it seemed like more of a ramble and he didn't really get to the point. He just stated "random fact about Ti" then "random fact about Te" and to wrap it up he pitched how Te-Ni compliment and Ni-Te compliment. His Descriptions are right but they are vague.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
They're both Ji functions, so yeah.

Ti doesn't promote values. Ti evaluates new ideas by comparing to the "truths" it already understands, Fi evaluates new ideas based on how much they value them.
personalityjunkie.com/05/introverted-feeling-fi-vs-introverted-thinking-ti/

My point was that it's not hard to confuse between the 2. I didn't see anything Fi related, but you're more than welcome to prove me wrong.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.