Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about guilt trips when I mentioned it in the SJ & SP thread.

Do you guys use guilt trips to get what you want. If so, how often, and for what occasions?

Also, what's your view on guilt trips? Do you get hurt when people throw them at you?

:laughing:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't tell myself beforehand "i'm going to totally try and lay a guilt trip on this person", but when I look back I can point out a few times where I have tried to make someone feel guilty. That has usually been the case when a boyfriend did something dishonest it seems.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't really try to guilt trip people, if I do I may just be teasing/messing with them so they're a little guilty but I wouldn't guilt trip as a means to hurt someone.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Outside of humor, I never do it.
Guilt tripping in a humorous way is still guilt tripping. It's just a form of guilt tripping that many people use. Usually men try to guilt trip in a humorous way I've noticed.

·
Banned
511 Posts
I may have subconsciously done this, but I never do this intentionally. I'd be mad if someone did this to me.

·
Banned
982 Posts
Denied.

Not a guilt trip fan. The only time it's ever used is during fights. Even then it's annoying cause you have to pull back from memory instances you could use to force guilt.
Shh, shhh, shhh. Daddy's here.

·
Banned
982 Posts
I was just expressing my deep affections for someone. ._________.

·
Registered
ISFP
700 Posts
If it becomes this conscious and consistent thing to try and get something from the other person in a relationship, and the guilt tripper gets rewarded for it consistently, it becomes a problem. If it becomes about pressuring someone for sex, or you threaten to kill yourself if the other person leaves you, then it becomes wrong.

However, I’m pretty sure every person in the world has guilt tripped another person in desperation, whether it’s because we’re desperate for a relationship to work out that we don’t want to end, we’re trying to teach someone a lesson, we want something really badly, or we want to avoid conflict at times. I’m not sure if you can call it accidental because, regardless of whether you planned it ahead of time or not, you’re guilt tripping the other person because you want to guilt them into listening to you, to staying with you, you want to avoid rejection, and/or you want the other person to do as you say when you feel like you’re losing control of the situation or person.

If it becomes a consistent habit, then it becomes bad. However, because we’re human, flawed, insecure, impatient, and selfish when we become desperate when faced by rejection at times, so we’re going to have moments where we bitch and moan and play the victim to try to turn the other person in our favor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts