Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. & hey. Christmas IS around the corner. ;)

I appreciate every gift I get, but there aren't many presents that have really managed to evoke a strong emotion from me.

When was the last time a present managed to get a memorable response out of you?

*wonder wonder*

·
Registered
165 Posts
I usually get decent presents because we exchange Christmas lists in my family. And I usually ask my friends what they want for Christmas. One of my favorite presents was a vacuum cleaner with all the attachments. That sounds lame, but I had a really really old vacuum that had died. My entire family chipped in and got me a nice Miele canister vacuum with every attachment imaginable.

My BF always got me GREAT Christmas presents. Nice watch, pearl necklace, nice leather handbag, things like that. One year he got me a personal trainer for Christmas. He hired him for about 6 months and he came to my house 2x week. That was so great.

I have gotten crappy gifts from time to time, but the good gifts far outweighed them.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,567 Posts
Something personal-ish.

My INTP stepdad is good with this, he gives gifts that somehow reference something you've had a conversation about in the past or some inside joke.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I've got two really great presents in my life. Both occasions it was a stereo that my father gave me. Last time it was a pre-amp and two end stage amps... I love those amps ridiculously much.

I got a trip to New York once too, that one was pretty fucking great too.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Things that I didn't specifically ask for but it's clear that I want.
If that makes any sense.
Like the other two people said. I like it when a gift says "Hey I remembered that you were complaining about your old coffee maker and this one got great reviews"
I'm not a big fan of the really really personal gifts (Here's a scrapbook of our friendship!), or the practical things I don't use (Oh how nice. A giftcard to Starbucks. guess I"m going to starbucks for the first time in months), and when I get things that I put on a list I sort of feel like I picked it out myself, and I enjoy it but it's not the most memorable.

So something personal but still useful.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Just curious. & hey. Christmas IS around the corner. ;)

I appreciate every gift I get, but there aren't many presents that have really managed to evoke a strong emotion from me.

When was the last time a present managed to get a memorable response out of you?

*wonder wonder*
You need a type two for that. :p

seriously growing up, the ONLY reason I loved the holiday was to be able to give gifts, often made (artsy fartsy 'Pinterest style') or even if purchased, something I think the person would either love, or something ridiculous to make them smile/laugh. And no, it's not to get anything. I just seriously love that opportunity. It's depressing when I'm not able to do that sort of thing because sometimes people either don't like attention, need space or just flat out push you away. Which is a serious buzz kill because giving gifts is so much fun! :D

okay ill admit it. I'm the dork who gets super into wrapping it and everything. And when a person grabs it and tears it open without saying how pretty it looks or mentioning the thoughtfulness of it's presentation(which sometimes IS the gift) I sport my pout face all, "awwwwwww" :(

:p

clearly. The first gift giving holiday was created by a type two. ^.^

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't really care for presents, but the best one I ever got was when I was a kid.

Grandmother bought me an encyclopedia set back in... 1995? I ate those books UP.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Something... cool. Not mundane. Gift cards, clothes, albums (unless I'm obsessing over an artist), no thanks. Like with the above posters something that's personal or involves some sort of inside joke is hilarious, as is material that has to do with whatever I'm obsessed with at the time. One of my friends got me this bottle of ferrofluid once just so I could screw around with it (ended up staining my skin) and it was one of the quirkiest gifts ever.

Sidenote: This could be a personal thing but any gift that requires me to actually input effort to use it will be stuck in the basement for eternity. When I was little I used to get tons of science/engineering kits with instruction booklets and everything. They ended up being given away, unopened.

Basically anything personal or sufficiently awesome to not have anything to do with me, makes it a happy 10 minutes opening that gift.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I always tell people to give me money or gift cards because I like to be able to get a bunch of clothes, and people say it's hard to buy clothing for me.
Other than that, I get really excited about new electronics.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Anything gift-wrapped brings out my inner-squee.

Gift wrap a little box of staples for me, and I'll be your best friend for life.

Not knowing what it is, but that it's gift-wrapped... It's a treasure. It's exciting, suspense, and intrigue.

Even joke dog poop in a box becomes THE BOX OF MYSTERY WITH GIFT WRAP.

Maybe I won't even open the box.

Nah, I probably will.

... Okay, okay. Definitely will.

I swear, if Pandora's box existed, it had to have been gift wrapped.

And Pandora's like, 'Oooh! *Rips open. Face crestfallen.* Uhm.. What is it?' *OPEN-WOOSH-DEATH-HOPE-LIFEBEGINSANEWWWW*

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I mostly just like recreational items (books, DVD's, music) that I would buy myself, just to save me a little money. Gift cards are fine. I do like it when someone who knows me well gets me a book that I wouldn't have bought myself but that they think I'd like. A unique/novelty item of clothing or some kind of special food could work here too.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah I agree on the personalized thing. Anything that really seems like it's for me and not Friend A or Sister B. Something I can actually enjoy. One of my favorite gifts a few years back was a clever bumper sticker. When I was 11 I got this really cool encyclopedia type book and I was thrilled. Though I do really love the laptop I got last year too :D

And it's not too hard to find out what I happen to be interested in that year :p

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Word Dispenser -
YOU JUST GAVE ME THE BEST IDEA EVER FOR A GIFT :D

I SHALL SEND YOU MANY BOXES IN THANKS

You're right though, I just adore the element of surprise.

You need a type two for that. :p

seriously growing up, the ONLY reason I loved the holiday was to be able to give gifts, often made (artsy fartsy 'Pinterest style') or even if purchased, something I think the person would either love, or something ridiculous to make them smile/laugh. And no, it's not to get anything. I just seriously love that opportunity. It's depressing when I'm not able to do that sort of thing because sometimes people either don't like attention, need space or just flat out push you away. Which is a serious buzz kill because giving gifts is so much fun! :D

okay ill admit it. I'm the dork who gets super into wrapping it and everything. And when a person grabs it and tears it open without saying how pretty it looks or mentioning the thoughtfulness of it's presentation(which sometimes IS the gift) I sport my pout face all, "awwwwwww" :(

:p

clearly. The first gift giving holiday was created by a type two. ^.^
Lol, awww. I shall never destroy or eat the wrapping off of my presents ever again... Probably.

I have the perfect Christmas gift in mind for you.
This holiday season, I'mma be sending you a house binder. ;D <3

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cash. I prefer buying my own presents.
LOL, agreed :D If given cash, I'd firstly build my own business and invest in company shares or properties, then I'll use the money to treat myself after I gain enough profit from my business and investing activities. I'd love to buy luxury, expensive things that will definitely make me stand out from my fellow friends.

As for myself, I love to receive any kinds of present from loved ones, but, I love hand-made present the most. Or, something that shows the whole world that they love and care for me.

And.....Please, don't send me any dungs. Lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts