Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It could be anything from genetics to stress or bacteria, but who has a problem where you feel an itchiness at an area on your scalp that happens not to grow hair further than a certain degree (while the rest of your hair grows normally)? I intend on seeing a dermatologist, but maybe someone has a similar story? I'm not looking for a diagnosis, which wouldn't be easy to receive online, but a possible foreshadowing. Or helpful tips, or...dare I ask, success stories?

It's just weird how this all seemed to start around a time when I first took anti-depressants. I'm not currently on any medication. Still get stressed. It is only one area of my scalp that itches and grows only fine hair compared to the other areas.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I went through a period a couple of years ago when I wasn't eating properly (stress, relationship problems) and about three months after that my hair started falling out. My hairstylist is the one who asked "What was happening in your life three months ago?"

Anyway, the thing that really helped more than anything was a calcium supplement. Weird, but it worked.

Good luck; it has to be worrisome, I know.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it the area where you wear a hat? My buddy CJ used to have a problem with that.
It's an area that is usually covered by a hat, yes. On top, toward the back.

I went through a period a couple of years ago when I wasn't eating properly (stress, relationship problems) and about three months after that my hair started falling out. My hairstylist is the one who asked "What was happening in your life three months ago?"

Anyway, the thing that really helped more than anything was a calcium supplement. Weird, but it worked.

Good luck; it has to be worrisome, I know.
Calcium supplement.. I know where to find some. It definitely can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
It could be anything from genetics to stress or bacteria, but who has a problem where you feel an itchiness at an area on your scalp that happens not to grow hair further than a certain degree (while the rest of your hair grows normally)? I intend on seeing a dermatologist, but maybe someone has a similar story? I'm not looking for a diagnosis, which wouldn't be easy to receive online, but a possible foreshadowing. Or helpful tips, or...dare I ask, success stories?

It's just weird how this all seemed to start around a time when I first took anti-depressants. I'm not currently on any medication. Still get stressed. It is only one area of my scalp that itches and grows only fine hair compared to the other areas.
Prozac made my hair thin out really bad. I was on it 4 months and lost probably 30% of my hair, but it was spread all over.

Prozac/stress can also trigger Alopecia Areata. Alopecia areata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once the prozac clears your system (anywhere from 30 days to 3-4 months) your hair should grow normally again.

Reactions: Le9acyMuse
1 - 5 of 5 Posts