Personality Cafe banner

Do You Hair Twirl?

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on another thread* that so many of us are hair twirlers. I've got the same problem, but I actually feel as if it's actually taken over my entire life now - especially when I'm at home. I pull at my fringe and make knots with it and then I mess it all up and start again. This can continue none stop for hours. It's a horrible habit and I think it's bothering my fiancee quietly - but it's really bothering me too! It stemmed roughly 3 years ago when I was in a new job and it hasn't stopped it. The only way I could possibly stop it is by shaving it off, but that's not something I wish to do and it wouldn't look good on me either. I guess I could wear a hat? I've tried fidget spinners and other things to keep my hands occupied but it never seems to work for very long.

What do you think keeps me doing it? Do you think there is a way to stop it? What do you think I should do?

*https://www.personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/16288-do-infps-tend-fidgety.html

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,228 Posts
I remember in gradeschool I always wore two ponytails and I'd always be twirling one of them and it would go swish swish swish against the desk. I don't do it all the time anymore, but it is a compulsive thing when I don't know what to do with my hands and my hair is readily available to play with. Wearing my hair in one braid behind my head keeps it out of the way. For me, it doesn't feel like I do it when I'm nervous, it's just a nice silky sensation when I'm spacing out or listening to someone. I've experienced a weird compulsion to run my fingernails under the stiff cloth edge of the back side of zippers on my hoodies, which I only experience when I'm wearing certain hoodies, I don't find my fingers searching for it when I'm wearing something else even if I am feeling nervous, so... I dunno. Some habits like that aren't necessarily from emotional issues I think. Personally I stopped twitching my leg all the time just by willpower every time I noticed myself doing it I'd immediately stop - and it happened a lot but over time it started to be more normal to not do it.

One thought is to put something like gel or oil on your hair that will leave a residue on your fingers if you touch it so then you'll feel like you need to clean off your fingers, it could help make touching your hair un-enjoyable until you're used to not doing it???

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thought is to put something like gel or oil on your hair that will leave a residue on your fingers if you touch it so then you'll feel like you need to clean off your fingers, it could help make touching your hair un-enjoyable until you're used to not doing it???
Good idea. But I put putty in my hair very single day, so unfortunately I doubt it'll work.

Maybe I need to do what you did and find more willpower from within?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts