Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just going through the functions instinctively I would say

x - I would say I, but I don't remember if his back story recalls him being more Extroverted. As he is in the play though I remember him seeming introverted.
N - Bigger picture, not enough for his uncle to die (S), he has to die and go to hell to be punished for eternity. Strikes me as N.
T - It might be the way that I have seen it performed but he strikes me as up holding the principals rather then being overly concerned about the people involved and how they are feeling. Then again this is Shakespere the words could paint him as an F.
P - Very indecisive, changes his mind all the time. He is always putting off his act of killing his father and his indecision caused him great pain it seems.

INTP/INFP. I would put more weight to the former though.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
INFP I'm thinking (I have no idea where his Se is - he's very speculative). Hilariously enough, I even described him as emo in my AP Lit class last year, and an INFP I know in that class got a kick out of that. XD

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good thing we have that settled! Let's get to work on his e-type, shall we?

4? 6? He seemed a bit reactive, though I can't recall everything since it was awhile I saw it. I saw the film version with Mel Gibson, the one that features a hilarious scene where Hamlet angrily confronts his mother, throws her on the bed, gets on top of her while holding a firm grip of her hands and furiously jerks his body back and forth while the camera zooms in on his sweat-laced face, simulating some sort of rape. Are there any other themes of incest in the play which I either missed or they cut out of the film adaption? I sort of liked the freudian spin on it.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
It's been so long.. I just wanted to discuss it, I have no idea on the typology..
Foul deeds will rise, Though all the earth o'erwhelm them, to men's eyes..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to read some more about e-types before I can even begin to comprehend them, so no contribution from me there, sorry :p

The freudian interpretation of the play was very much emphasised in the Mel Gibson production. I didn't perceive it that way at all from the original text, but I quite liked the Doran production-- David Tennant plays a good Hamlet!

What type do you suppose Horatio is?

·
Registered
289 Posts
David Tennant FTW as Hammie. And if Hamlet's an INFP I'd be overjoyed! I relate to him sooo much =)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
INFP. I want to say INTJ because I see so much of myself in him, but no. Definitely INFP.

You know when he recites the play with the actors? My teacher commented: "Obviously that guy's memorized the bit about killing Priam. He's obsessed." Well, I've got several of his monologues memorized. Especially "How All Occasions Do Inform Against Me". It reminds me to get out of overthinking shit and DO SHIT. I SEE THE IMMINENT DEATH OF TWENTY THOUSAND MEN.

My favorite film adaptation is Kenneth Branagh's. Then David Tennant's. Screw all the rest.
@eclecticreject HAMMIE? @MereMortal: Horatio = INFJ, in my opinion.

Reactions: NFPWannabe

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I'd have to say Hamlet is a INTP; because he's extremely cold and manipulative (NT characteristic), Introverted given how he trusts in just a very small circle of friends and the P is subject to interpretation.

·
Registered
289 Posts
INFP. I want to say INTJ because I see so much of myself in him, but no. Definitely INFP.

You know when he recites the play with the actors? My teacher commented: "Obviously that guy's memorized the bit about killing Priam. He's obsessed." Well, I've got several of his monologues memorized. Especially "How All Occasions Do Inform Against Me". It reminds me to get out of overthinking shit and DO SHIT. I SEE THE IMMINENT DEATH OF TWENTY THOUSAND MEN.

My favorite film adaptation is Kenneth Branagh's. Then David Tennant's. Screw all the rest.
@eclecticreject HAMMIE? @MereMortal: Horatio = INFJ, in my opinion.
Yes. Hammie = Hamlet

I'd have to say Hamlet is a INTP; because he's extremely cold and manipulative (NT characteristic), Introverted given how he trusts in just a very small circle of friends and the P is subject to interpretation.
Considering everyone is so concerned about him I think the coldness and manipulativeness are new developments and he could be an INFP gone wrong.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
@Electricreject: I know... I was just shocked at the nickname.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had to take a lot of notes very quickly in my English Lit class so all their names were shortened: Hammy, Claud, Gert, Polo etc, haha!

I actually see a lot of Fe in him. His moral conflicts are not about him checking to himself whether murder fits in with his ethical system but are all based on external factors. He should kill Claudius because of his loyalty to his father. He shouldn't kill Claudius because of his loyalty to the state and to God. He shouldn't kill himself because of his loyalty to God. His decisions (or rather, his lack of decisions) are due to him trying to fit so many external ethical structures at once. In the end, he doesn't decide on one option but decides that God should judge whether he or Claudius should die and goes to the dual with Laertes with confidence that whatever happens will happen for the right reason. He comments on the social structures a lot (I think just before the ghost arrives he is criticising the way the people in castle are partying and not mourning).He also is an incredible judge of character and uses his skills at reading people to either take them down (Claudius + the play) or just tease them (pretty much every character but predominantly Claudius, Polonius and occasionally Ophelia).

As for E/I, I think it's hard to tell because we never see him in a healthy state. E is entirely possible because everyone views his isolation with complete surprise. He appears to be a well loved person by both the court, Ophelia and the people of Denmark, which suggests he may have been quite social previously. He does have extraverted moments when things are going well for him or he's just being manic. It's hard to say whether he's a depressed extravert or a manic introvert, haha.

Anyway, my vote is for I/ENFJ.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Aw man, it's hard for me to type unhealthy people, and Hamlet is REALLY unhealthy.
Based on the fact that he treated Opheilia well before he had gone crazy you could imagine he's a romantic, so he could be a very unhealthy INFP.
The Fi would make sense with that. I would also say F over T because his actions aren't logical at all.
Making a play to get your uncle to seem guilty? Deciding to act crazy to throw people off your trail? Stabbing random curtains?
I'm not saying INFP's are likely to do this, it's just like I said Hamlet is very unhealthy, but he still doesn't show much Ti.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As an ENTJ, I see some of the characteristics of an off-balanced ENTJ in Hamlet.
ENTJ and INFP both utilize Fi and Te in projection of their personality. Te and Fi is definitely there. ENTJ's can sometimes have a very insidious Fi. As for introversion/extroversion, as an ENTJ, we're still quite reserved. Our extroversion is extroverted thinking and NOT extroverted feeling. Also, let's not confuse a character's introversion with the authorial intro-vision. In other words, Shakespeare is the one to credit with this focus into Hamlet's inner world. Any character can seem introverted if we're constantly driving into his inner world. Also, ENTJ's can be quite obsessive when dealing with pursuits. Also, Hamlet is constantly manipulating his surroundings (Te/Se) in favor of his values (Fi). He is quite skilled at being consistent and persistent. He doesn't allow external changes to throw him off (which usually happens with Ne, not Ni). He is always a couple steps ahead and does not allow himself to be easily manipulated by others. He seems to use a lot of his Ni, which is noticeable, especially, when others confront him. Also, the fact that he needed an external source to lead him in his plot says more about his Te and Se (i.e. his father's ghost).
Just some observations.
I'd still say ENTJ or INFP, though.
One thing's for sure, he is an unhealthy, troubled man! Not too crazy, though. Just a bit.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts