Personality Cafe banner

Your hand shape | Do you link words when writing?

• 1) Elementary Hand

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 2) Square Hand

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • 3) Spatula Hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4) Conical Hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5) Philosophic Hand

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 6) Psychic Hand

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • i) I link letters when writing

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • ii) I don't link my letters when writing

• iii) I sometimes link letters and don't at other times

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • A) I don't believe there are correlations between hand shape and personality

• B) I believe there are correlations between hand shape and personality

• C) I'm undecided as to whether there are correlations between hand shape and personality

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • a) I don't believe there are correlations between handwriting and personality

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • b) I believe there are correlations between handwriting and personality

• c) I'm undecided as to whether there are correlations between handwriting and personality

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stumbled across http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/3726-infp-personality-type-hand-shape.html and thought it'd be fun to see what types of hand shapes PerC ISTJs have. In the INFP thread quite a few did have a similar hand shape though there were one or two who didn't.

According to Palmistry : Shapes of hand - Square Shape ISTJs appear to fit the characteristics for 'square shaped hands':

The square hand is most practical and logical of all the types. People with such a hand are orderly, punctual, and precious manner. They are honest and reliable, and like to lead disciplined lives, with little imagination. They respect authority, they love discipline, they respect law and order and are slaves to custom, they are not quarrelsome, but are determined in opposition, they prefer reason to instinct, peace to war, and are methodical in work and habit. They neutrally love the exact sciences and practical studies. They encourage agriculture and commerce; they love home and the duties of home. They are sincere and true in promises, staunch in friendship, strong in principle and honest in business.

The square hand has a square palm, a square wrist, square at the base of the fingers and the fingers and nails are also square. This hand is characterized by a large thumb and a square finger base.
I would say my fingertips fit the square shaped hand description while overall my hand fits the 'philosophical hand' better (knobbly joints, longer palm). The philosophical hand description doesn't fit me as as well as the square hand description though.

Philosophical hand description: (PHILOSOPHICAL HAND)

This shape of hand can easily be recognized, it is long and angular with bony fingers, developed joints and long nails, This indicated wisdom, these people are by nature student but of peculiar subjects such as man kind, they understand the every cord of music of life, They are different in nature from general people and interesting thing is that they like to be different. They like mystery, No matter what they are doing but like to do it in mysterious way which me and you can not understand.

They rarely forget any injury, but they are patient with the patience of power, they wait for opportunities. They are generally egotistical in the way of the life they lead.

One thing is very important to be born in mind that the developed joints are the peculiar characteristic of thoughtful people, while the smooth and pointed fingers are just reverse. These people have good sense of analysis.

Square Hand:........................Philosophic Hand:

My Hand (Hi-Five! :crazy:)

I'm also interested in seeing if ISTJs have any similarity in their handwriting. I personally link my letters because it's more efficient for me to keep the pen on the paper than to lift it up after each letter.

If you're interested in seeing how handwriting is analysed (not sure how valid this source is as there are typos): GRAPHOLOGY

Remember to vote in the poll ^^ (4 sets of questions) Even if you don't believe that there are correlations it would still be interesting to see the range of hand shapes and handwriting styles ^^

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm quite interested in my handwriting and the handwriting of others. My boyfriend has a couple of marker boards on the wall of his bedroom over his desk that he has work notes scribbled on. I like to secretly analyze it while I'm laying around in the morning. From time to time I'll also consciously change the way I form a letter, to tweak my overall style. I can actually date papers based on the way certain letters were made.

Every now and then I'll browse some graphology stuff, but I'll admit, I do take it with a grain of salt.

Here's a sample of my print and my cursive writing that I had on hand from another forum, (also I know it's not really "font," but that was the theme of the thread).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about graphology but I find it interesting that there may be links between personality and handwriting. We both don't use up the whole line when writing :crazy: I remember reading that the smaller your writing the more introverted you are apparently (should have probably put that in the poll but there's just way too many attributes in handwriting to poll).

As for links between hand shape and personality, I'm undecided. Who knows if certain 'personality genes' and 'physical genes' are somehow linked.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know much about graphology but I find it interesting that there may be links between personality and handwriting. We both don't use up the whole line when writing :crazy: I remember reading that the smaller your writing the more introverted you are apparently (should have probably put that in the poll but there's just way too many attributes in handwriting to poll).

As for links between hand shape and personality, I'm undecided. Who knows if certain 'personality genes' and 'physical genes' are somehow linked.
My handwriting is chaotic and sloppy enough to be that of a doctor's. I sometimes have difficulty reading my own writing at times, but my penmanship has always been poor, ever since 1st grade. I remember my mom making me do extra worksheets when I was younger because it was so bad, but it never got better.

As far as handwriting and handshape being a sign of personality, I think that's a bunch of hogwash...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My handwriting is chaotic and sloppy enough to be that of a doctor's. I sometimes have difficulty reading my own writing at times, but my penmanship has always been poor, ever since 1st grade. I remember my mom making me do extra worksheets when I was younger because it was so bad, but it never got better.

As far as handwriting and handshape being a sign of personality, I think that's a bunch of hogwash...
I'm usually fine with reading my handwriting. Even at it's messiest I can usually read most of the words. Other people definitely can't read my handwriting when it's messy though.

When I was young and learning to write I didn't have linked letters and my letters were huge. Then again I haven't seen a kid with tiny writing so....

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I think that for the most part, handwriting style may have more to do with how you learned it from others and your genetics. For example, I know that my cursive handwriting looks very much like my grandmother's handwriting, and to some extent like my father's handwriting, and not at all like my mother's. I am unsure of their types--I am pretty sure that they both had J s their last letter from memory, but as for the other letters, I am pretty sure I have no idea (I didn't have much contact with my grandmother, and my father died when I was young).

I will say that my handwriting is pretty linear and I do not have wide loops in my writing (wide loops is supposedly associated with N-types, but who knows?). When I am writing in cursive, I make sure to connect all the letters, because it saves time. When I am printing, some of my letters may be connected, but others are not. I don't really know how to post an example of any of my writing.

I would say that nowadays, I can decipher my writing, but it certainly isn't neat. I would make an effort to make the writing neat if someone else had to read it. But my ISFJ roommate always tells me my handwriting is totally gross.

I have no idea about my handshape, except that it's little.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that for the most part, handwriting style may have more to do with how you learned it from others and your genetics.
If handwriting style is also linked to genetics, then isn't one's personality also linked to genetics? :happy: (unless you meant to say "more to do with how you learned it from others than your genetics")

I don't really know how to post an example of any of my writing.
I use photobucket and then just put the link of the photo in my post. You can also upload a scanned image or photo of your handwriting to your PersonalityCafeAccount and use the link for that photo too.

I have no idea about my handshape, except that it's little.
You could scan or take a photo of your hand and I'd gladly try to 'box' your hand shape into one or two of the categories :crazy:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I wish that there were a scientific study so that we could say something for sure about whether there is a correlation between MBTI and the type of handwriting a person has. Our sample here won't provide that much evidence to decideif there is a correlation, since unforutantely we people on perc may not represent teh real world. But I don't think anyone would get around to this.

I'll have to deal with posting stuff later. Unfortunately I don't have a camera to take a picture of my hand, although I could easily scan in some of my handwriting from paper.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be surprised if there hadn't been a scientific study. Then again, the question is why you would fund this type of research :crazy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm usually fine with reading my handwriting. Even at it's messiest I can usually read most of the words. Other people definitely can't read my handwriting when it's messy though.

When I was young and learning to write I didn't have linked letters and my letters were huge. Then again I haven't seen a kid with tiny writing so....
Haha, you haven't seen my son's writing. He's 7, and you need a magnifying glass to read it!

My writing used to be extremely need and tidy. I went to uni and where I had to learn to write quickly in lectures, it's become an illigible mess. I can write neatly need absolutely needed, but most of the time, it's a scrawl!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts