Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February I changed roles in my company. I went from outside sales into our IT department as a business analyst. I was a rather normal sales person performance wise and although I wasn't doing poorly I wasn't doing great either. I was just another guy in the office, not one of the prized employees and not on the short list to get canned either.

Now that I'm in IT my new role really lines up with my strengths. I've seen the need for several things in my project and took the initive to work on them myself. A couple weeks after I did these things the very subject came up in a meeting of VPs and push came back on my director to justify our project and I had 90% of what was needed already done.

It was reviewed by my director and a couple managers and they said my work was "revolutionary and powerful." I work for a Fortune 500 company that is one of the top 3 most admired in our industry. There is 1 person between my director and the CEO, the CIO.

I said all that to say this. I've found myself very uncomfortable handling acolades and admiration from my peers and leaders. It is very awkward and I have no idea what to say. It's not going to my head and it hasn't torn me down but I feel like I'm walking through mine fields since I've been on a project for 4 months and dramatically impacted it.

Have any of you had similar problems? How do you handle success, especially if you have 10+ of work history fighting and scraping to keep up?

·
Registered
263 Posts
When it comes to the work environment, don't feel as though you need to show gratitude for your superiors. Use their compliments to your advantage and say "I'm just trying to do my job/get the job done as best as I can." This type of response keeps you in control of the situation and it looks much more professional than the awkward-I-don't-know-what-to-say blush.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.