Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around all of these forums, and I've noticed that the introverts seem to complain about depression, suicidal tendencies, and overall unhappiness with themselves. However, when I go to the forums where extroverts abound, they seem not to have many complaints at all. Are we introverts more unhappy with ourselves than extroverts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why would I want to be happy?

Seriously, I like the way I am, even if it can be a little dark. It makes me happy to be unhappy sometimes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I read an article, linked below for your reference, that claimed that Introverts by nature prefer a neutral emotional state. I'm not sure exactly what they were getting at, bit I recall telling myself in my head since I was a teen (I still do it now) that I'd be happy to be content (please, no need to point out grammatical difficulties). Perhaps we understand that we can't have soaring highs without crushing lows, and for some of us, our crushing lows are hideous and our soaring highs aren't that way for very long.

Revenge of the Inrovert - Psychology Today

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Eh. Introverts are just more likely to be lonely. Humans are social animals, introverts are worse at it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Just a guess...

Are we introverts more unhappy with ourselves than extroverts?
I don't believe so. As extroverts are likely more social than introverts, I'd imagine some depressing topics may not be something to draw more people into one's social circle. This is just one idea that comes to my mind.

Another idea is that forums being a written medium and not oral may be more likely to have introverts than extroverts which may skew the sample to some extent. Introverts usually prefer this format over a verbal discussion, so this may attract more people that would rather talk through a keyboard in messages than vocally with words.

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
Eh. Introverts are just more likely to be lonely. Humans are social animals, introverts are worse at it.
I would think extroverts are more prone to loneliness. While us introverts definitely aren't anti-social, we can go much longer without human interaction. If extroverts don't get enough, they'll become lonely.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,365 Posts
I think I have a preference for the line of neutral (as Snowguard said). I can have brief bursts of sadness and elation but they really never get beyond the realms of the middle ground. I am "happy" with that.

I can remember years ago when I was doing a sound engineering course, for some reason, we had a well being class thrown in for kicks. The woman leading the class asked us all to remember our saddest memories followed by our happiest memories. The point of the excercise was to point out that sad memories are more easily remembered. The people in the class were coming out with really vivid recollections of what happened, how it felt, what they saw, even how it smelled. I felt like a total alien trying to conjure up some event to attach these feelings to and I also felt a panic in how the hell I was going to "perform" it. Luckily for me everyone was stepping over each other trying to express their feelings and it never reached all the way around the class to me.

I guess I can describe that as a happy/traumatic experience in the same :crazy:

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I am not quite sure what happiness is. Aristotle says that we may not ever reach happiness until we reach our goals. And that some people do no find happiness until death. I do believe it comes in short spurts though. I'm happy to be alive and to understand this magnificent world we live in but I do not belong here. Knowing you do not belong in a world can be very lonely but it is something I have come to accept at a very early age. I came into this world filled with wonder, curiosity, and an appetite to understand this looking glass. It only took me 15 years to see all the greatness, potential, evil, and pain that it withholds. Since then, I've been living inside my mind because it is far more colorful than reality. I'm quite content living in it for now.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I've been looking around all of these forums, and I've noticed that the introverts seem to complain about depression, suicidal tendencies, and overall unhappiness with themselves. However, when I go to the forums where extroverts abound, they seem not to have many complaints at all. Are we introverts more unhappy with ourselves than extroverts?
Maybe you have been looking in the INFP forum. Because what you describe I have never seen in the INTJ forum and is something INFP's would talk about a lot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
From personal experience, all the depressed and suicidal people I've met have been extraverts. I never met the depressed introvert, and though I may feel upset at times I have never particularly been depressed, and never had any suicidal thoughts. I have been over-the-top happy a couple of times, though.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I never met the depressed introvert, and though I may feel upset at times I have never particularly been depressed, and never had any suicidal thoughts.
Maybe that's because depressed extraverts meet people and talk about it. Depressed intraverts meet trains.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm an introvert, and I relate to what the people in this thread are saying. I'm happy to be content and not extremely joyful all the time. Dark topics and the like are what I'm drawn to when I'm feeling low. It's just natural for me to be curious about the light and dark aspects of life.

·
Registered
887 Posts
No, due to their tendency to be alone it doesn't bother them but when an extrovert becomes lonely, they become depressed from not having attention.
but I never understood overly happy people...what is there to be happy about?
Are they so blind in their false optimism that they can't see the world for what it actually is?
Anyway, you can understand the general concept i'm trying to shed light on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts