Personality Cafe banner

Happy home = Messy home?

[INFP] 
569 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  twirler 
#1 ·
At this very second, my bedroom is clean. Compared to the rest of the house most days however, it's a lot more 'lived in'. I get it back to snuff every few weeks or so, but I always end up slacking because I prefer not feeling so rigid and uptight where I sleep! I don't spend much time in here besides sleeping, and it's nice to be able to just toss my clothes on the ever-present "CHAIR" and not have to worry about it looking neat and tidy for anyone.

Would you say your bedroom is closer to godliness or no? :kitteh:

#2 ·
I normally go without cleaning my living space for a while. It doesn't really become "gross" or anything, just very disorganized. It's extremely disorganized right now, but I have plans in place to fix it.

I do all of my work in my room, and I've found that I'm significantly more productive when it's disorganized. I almost feel freaked out when it's orderly, like I'm sitting in a void, and I'm a little bit bothered by that weird feeling. It really does feel "rigid and uptight" when it's orderly.

Sleeping isn't a huge deal. I'm fine with the surroundings as long as the small space where I actually sleep is arranged how I want it (like if my blanket is wrapped around my body in the correct way).

Reactions: neutralchaotic
#3 ·
My bedroom is definitely not clean... I'd be really embarrassed if anyone saw it! I only mind it if I can't find anything and if there is a chance someone might have to see inside it.

It's hard for me to keep any room clean and organized. If there is clutter, I won't clean and sanitize because I must move the clutter first. But I forget/decide not to move the clutter... When I have company though, I make the place excellent and fluent. Heck, I rearrange the furniture.

For me to keep a room looking nice, it needs to have social merit in my house. That will get me thinking about how it needs to look nice. Next, I need to establish routines that do not require any type of thought. They must be thoughtless because if I have to think about it for it to be done, it probably will be left incomplete. If I can establish these routines, hopefully my mind will naturally think "Hm. There is a new object that I set on that table. It could go in this place instead."

I should probably go wash the dishes now.

Reactions: neutralchaotic
#4 ·
The place where I sleep is a war zone. If it's not it means someone passed by and cleaned it. Of course I could clean the space... BUT... why? I must admit though that I feel "better" when it's clean and everything is tidy and smell of fresh air and not of dust or other "stuff". Problem is that I can't keep it that way, it's like the mess in my head (and my life) also has to show where I sleep. What I tend to do if I don't get help to clean some things is that I just take all the clothes and shove them from place A to place B, or push all that mess into a closet and pretend I in fact folded them nicely in it. So yeah, it's a mess and stays a mess unless someone push me towards cleaning it. :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Problem is that I can't keep it that way, it's like the mess in my head (and my life) also has to show where I sleep.
I definitely feel like what's going on mentally affects my space physically...I usually get my room in order when I have the sudden urge to set things "right" (aka gain control) and depending on how large that rush of motivation grows...it'll be spiffy for a day or a couple weeks. Then I get bogged down with life and don't have enough mental energy to spare into keeping my space clean (it's low on the list), and the cycle repeats.

#6 ·
I definitely feel (emotionally) a lot better when my home is clean. But I only have two modes- OCD or who freaking cares.
I lack the 'maintain' switch some people are equipped with. That being said, I'll let things get really disorganized for about a week and then switch gears and get everything suuuper clean. It'll stay that way for.. hmmm.. like 2 days ��
Who has time to do trivial things like cleaning, when you're too busy over-thinking your life away?!��

#7 ·
I definitely feel (emotionally) a lot better when my home is clean. But I only have two modes- OCD or who freaking cares.
I lack the 'maintain' switch some people are equipped with. That being said, I'll let things get really disorganized for about a week and then switch gears and get everything suuuper clean. It'll stay that way for.. hmmm.. like 2 days ��
Who has time to do trivial things like cleaning, when you're too busy over-thinking your life away?!��
Ah, I like that! I'm very bad at maintaining things, agreed. I don't see the need to keep things from being a mess everyday, because I just tidied it up the day before, etc. That frustrated my ISFJ mother immensely growing up. She would point out so many things (that I had never noticed in my life) that needed to be straightened up, and I would try to explain that they simply were not on my radar! The little things just do not remain on my mental sticky notes for long, I have better things to do!

#8 ·
I have to disagree here, but first say that all my life I was very disorganize, my room was a war zone.

But 4months ago, I realize that if I want to achieve my dreams I have to put some discipline on my life. Cleaning my room was the first task. Now every week I clean, and to be honest is very distressfull. My room Is not perfect, but I wouldnt feel guilt if someone visit me, it look very good compared to the past.

My case might be special because my room is my oficce at the same time because Im an independent programmer. This force me to be more discipline and to be sincere I feel much better than before. When things are organized life become easier. For example, I used to lost my keys, but now it have a special place and never lose my keys again.

I truly understand the apathy of rigid but I think you should be more open mind and see the benefit of being rigid, which in this case is to have a stressless life.

Greetings,

Charly The Rabbit

#9 · (Edited)
I clean everything as I am using it, which means I may clean the same spot various times a day, with the exception of the stove which I only clean once a day (after dinner).
So for example I use the bathroom sink in the morning, and when I finish washing hands/face, doing minimal make-up, etc. I grab the cleaning utensils I keep under the sink and clean it all, as well as the mirror. I use the sink again in the afternoon, so when I'm done I clean it again. When I use it again before sleeping -brush teeth, take off make-up, etc- again I clean it again with the utensils.
I shower once a day, so I wash the bathtub when I get out and put on my robe, every single time. I keep the cleaning utensils under the sink, like I said before, ready to go. It's all very quick.
Same with the kitchen. I clean as I use things. Chop vegies on the chopping board, then wash chopping board + knife while the stuff is cooking. Multitasking. And so on. My parents and other family members throw knives, boards and plates to the kitchen sink to be cleaned later... this is something I don't understand. The things that can be washed in an instant, like a chopping board or knives... why would one choose to accumulate for later? It's a ton of unnecessary clutter. Damages my eyes to see their kitchens.
Or when I do laundry, I clean the surface of the machine right then and there.
I deep clean the entire house on saturdays, which includes vaccuuming, the toilet, and so on..

My bedroom is my sanctuary and I keep it organized and clean. I hate clutter.
When I arrive home from the street, I put the clothes away as I undress, item by item, deciding right then and there what needs to go to the laundry basket. So pants I will fold and put it the closet, and tops will usually go to the basket, same with underwear and socks, shoes go to the shoe cupboard. I never leave clothes on any chair or the bed, everything is organized in three seconds, it's really no effort at all.

Reactions: hellonearth
#10 ·
I like to consider myself clean. I clean my room every week but it only takes a few days until it's
messy again haha. My desk starts off nice and organized, books where they need to be,
stationary in the holder etc. But now they are everywhere. After getting busy with school work
it just became like this and I don't really clean it until the next week.
I don't mind my room being this way - It's chaotically organized.

The only place I keep clean is the environment where everybody is using.
The kitchen, for example. I always clean up before returning to my room.

#11 ·
(for me)

Happy home = home with no rodents.

They smell, eat through my packages of food and poop all over the place. I'll take any home messy or clean, but it must not have mice, rats, spiders, fruit flies or bugs.

Right now my home is 1/2 messy, 1/2 clean because I'm a lazy bugger and seem to always have better things to do. I do remember this tho, at work, my desk and all my folders had to be clean clean clean/organized.... or I couldn't think/work.

#13 ·
Messy, but clean.

Overall, I think I am in the middle. I definitely have OCD friends who would think I am super messy. Like, my bed goes unmade most days of the week, for example.

But, I have seen true dirty and messy and hoarding, and I know I am far from that level.

My counters are always clean! Go me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.