Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ooooops. Didn’t do very well last week, because I went to try and compose then already. D: BUT IT’S OKAY! I learnt! And there were kind reviewers who told me my mistake lol. Now I know. At least this week’s assignment won’t have the mistake of the last!

You know, it’s one of the things I find puzzling about education. Correct answers are just reaffirmations of what you already know, but mistakes are where you learn the most. But students get penalised for making mistakes.

Granted, I know the education system does it so that students will work harder to get the correct answers, and so learn more, but that’s not how life works. There’s often no single correct answer to a lot of problems in life. So by using that system of helping students to learn knowledge, we cripple them from learning how to learn. I mean, every single student has experienced the high stress that comes with tests and exams and shit when learning is supposed to be fun. And then the students underperform due to stress. Or well, most of them. I’m sure some students either get used to the stress or maybe even enjoy it. Who knows?

But the vast majority are basically taught never to make mistakes. The safe route is the only way forward. How are we going to progress forward if that is humanity’s education philosophy?

Because not just Art, you have to fail at Science before you can get success. Many experiments have to be done before any answers can be found. But when you imbue students with this mental block against failure at such a formative stage in our lives, it’s hard to rewire and fight through it. Like I’ve said before, you don’t expect a baby to immediately start walking, you’re going to see him fail, but you encourage him anyway. And then somehow when the child grows up and enters the education system, we start crushing him for failing. It’s very vexing to see. I’m sure many teachers try their best out there, to encourage students, I was blessed to encounter a few of them in my life. But there’s only so much you can do against a system that’s wired so … awfully and innately.

I don’t know what type of system can replace it, but it is fun to think about.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts