Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bc brought Matilda down! It’s a little worn now. I noticed that she wrote “I hope you fall in love with me.” In pencil on the page of the book then erased it. Lol. Yeah I understand. I used to get crushes on really cool older girls when I was younger because you really connect communication-wise and they seem so cool and wise etc. and they teach you lots of stuff.

But nah, physically I'm more drawn to guys and mentally too. Girls are a bit too similar to me I find. I mean, not that all girls are similar. Just different energy. I guess you could call it masculine energy vs feminine? Not sure how to explain it.

Maybe it’s a hormone thing?

Everyone likes boobs though! I think it’s cos it was food for almost all of us when younger. No shame in admitting that. I mean, yeah, guys have preferences for small or big blah blah but nobody HATES boobs. At most I guess it’s indifference.

I suddenly realised bc has been calling me big sister and I never called her little sister, so I called her little sister today hahah!

I think that’s why it sucks to call elders. I call them and they don’t call me back. as in greetings by title. I wish they did. Feels like I'm paying tribute or a toll to them when I do it and they don’t. I'm human too, K?

Anyway, reused the Matilda picture cos why not?

We were downstairs with my grandpa, grandma, uncle, aunt, mum, me and bc waiting for the food to arrive. After I quizzed her on the addition of $16 to $10 in the menu(where she took a long time and her dad was commenting she was slow lol), we settled down.

Mum: Why don’t you tell your big sister where you read until and get her to read for you?

I show my mum the :[ face. I don’t know if my voice can hold out after tutoring her for so long.

Bc: I read… until page 25… *flip flip flip*

Mum: How about she read a page for you? Why don’t you tell her where you don’t understand and she’ll read it?

Bc: The first page!

Me: What? The first page?

Bc: Yeah!

Me: Hmmm….

Bc: I only don’t understand the first page. The rest I understand.

Me: Okay, let’s see. I'll read for you. “It’s a funny thing about mothers and fathers.” You understand that right? Okay.. “Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful.” Hmm, do you know what blister is?

Bc stares at me blankly.

Me: Hm. Blister is like that round water bump you get when you wear shoes and they rub against your feet.

Bc stare.

Me: Oh, maybe you don’t get blisters from your shoes. (must be nice.) you get it from skin rubbing too much.

Mum: Blister is like when you walk walk walk and rub rub rub and then the skin has a thing on it.

Bc stare.

Me: (ok… googling blister might not be a good idea at dinner.) hm. A blister is painful and it’s like a wound on your skin. It hurts.

Bc stare.

Me: Okay. When you don’t understand a word… you see here? “Disgusting little blister” So, let’s say you're reading, and you don’t understand the word blister. But you know what’s disgusting right?

Bc nod.

Me: So you use the context of the words, the words around it, so you know oh a blister is a disgusting thing. So it can become, “Even when their own child is the most disgusting little thing you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful.” Do you understand?

Bc: *nod* But what does it mean?

Me: Huh?

Bc: What does the sentence mean?

Me: Oh! Well, “Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine” that means their child is super disgusting and bad, they still think that the child is good. Do you understand?

Bc’s eyes goes wide. O_O

Me: That means… the child is actually bad. Everyone else thinks they’re bad, because they are not nice and he is disgusting and she treats people badly. But because-

Bc: Hey, it went from he to she!

Me: Yeah, doesn’t matter. But because they are so blinded by their love for the child, the think the child is good, but the child is actually super bad. Do you understand?

Bc: There’s blinded in the next line!

Me: Yeah, you're right. Okay, so, “Some parents go further. They become so blinded by adoration they manage to convince themselves their child has qualities of genius.” Do you understand what genius is?

Bc: Yeah! It means super smart!

Me: Yup! Hm. Do you understand what adoration is?

Bc: Very cuuute!!!! (Guess she got it confused with adorable, now that I think about it. Have to tell her the difference next time. Smart guess though.)

Me: No, it means love. Adoration means love. Okay. So what this sentence is trying to say is that. The parents think their child is super smart because they love their child so much, but their child is actually very stupid. So, when you combine it with the previous paragraph, what happens? The parents love their child a lot, they get so blinded by love, that they think their child is very good and smart, when their child is actually very bad and stupid. Their child doesn’t study and isn't nice to people at all. Everybody else thinks their child is disgusting and only the parents like them. So, what do you think will happen if a child is raised this way?

Bc: *tilts her head* The child is very bad!

Me: Yes, and what else? If your parents keep telling you you're very good, but you’re actually very bad, you’ll never improve, right? You will always think you're good and you don’t have to do anything to be better. Right?

Bc stares at me.

Me: So, when a child is raised this way, when the parents say they’re so good, but they’re actually bad, whose fault do you think it is?

Bc: *thinks* The parents!

Me: But then, the actions of the child, the parents didn’t force the child to be bad, right? The child chose to be bad by doing bad things. So is it really the parents fault?

Bc: O_O it’s the… it’s the….

Mum: The child is bad. The parents are at fault for raising the child wrongly.

Bc: So the parents-

Me: Okay, aunt says that the parents are at fault for raising the child wrongly. What do you think?

Mum: Darling, the parents are the ones who should have taught the child right from wrong.

Me: Okay, so that is aunt’s opinion. What do you think?

Bc: O_O

Me: Tell me what you think. Aunt says that, but what’s your opinion? I want to hear what you think.

Food arrives.

Bc: It’s the child’s fault!

Me: Why? Because the child thought he’s good when he’s actually bad? Because he was raised that way by his parents?

Bc: Wait! But what if… what if the child is good and the parents say he is bad?

Me: That’s exactly what happened to Matilda. If you want to find out more, you have to read the book finish.

Bc turns to her food and is quietly thinking, no more questions. She’s read through the first few pages so it’s not like I'm spoiling anything. Just make her more curious.

Me: See, this is why I like this book a lot. Even now when I reread I learn new things from it. See, I read it here and I learn new things. The whole book is basically contained in the introduction. Just the first page and you have the whole story.

Bc: You’ve read it 3542 times?!!!?!?

Me: No, but I've definitely read it more than ten times.

Me: When you read, you reread it again to learn more and notice more. Last time we didn’t have money for books, so I reread them. This is one of my favourites to reread. If you don’t understand something, read it again, and you’ll understand more. When you read, you must think as well. Think about what if this or that happened. When I read, I usually think about what would I do if I were in their shoes?

Bc: But she’s not real!

Me: She’s real in my mind, and your mind, and in the book.

Bc: But she’s not real!

Me: Are you sure? Do you know how many tens of millions of children have read this book? How many tens of millions of people know who Matilda is? How many people know about you? Are you more real than her when lesser people know about you?

…

So we eat dinner and I teach her about metamorphosis and photosynthesis, then I'm walking back with my mum.

Me: Wah. Maths tuition and literature tuition in one day. My brain is so tired.

Mum: Maths tuition and… oh yeah that’s literature tuition huh? Lol.

Me: Yeah!

Mum: Wah, never thought a children’s book could have tips on parenting. It actually teaches you a lot of things! It’s actually very deep.

Me: Yeah! That’s why I like it a lot. The information is all there. It’s just whether you know how to extract and dig around for it. Hehe… I hope uncle learn something from it too. The two parents were so quiet. Lol. You see, bc is actually quite smart. She can ask me what happens if the child is good and the parents think she's bad. She's smart, she just needs guidance. Not easy to think of that, you know? She's smart enough to think of it, she can think of more.

Aw yeah. Makes me want to re-read it properly again. Didn’t finish the book properly last time.

I know, a little obsessed, right? I find it fun though, so I guess it’s okay.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts