Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I was wondering if some fellow INFPs could give me advice on making friends. As an INFP I'm already quite shy and on top of that I believe I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder, which makes me very nervous when talking to other people. There are a lot of people who are my acquaintances that I really think I could be good friends with, but I'm too shy to say hi! I'm constantly worried that they will think I'm a freak, or weird...Does anyone have any advice on how to get closer to people as friends, or how to get over my insecurity/social anxiety?
Thanks loves!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I'm too shy to say hi! I'm constantly worried that they will think I'm a freak, or weird
Not sure of my type but this comment shows that you are thinking about how it feels for you to be interacting with others.
Focusing on making the other person feel comfortable, at ease and taking an interest in finding out about them may help. Concern with how you feel can become so big that it can block out the real issue, which is getting to know someone else. With them as the focus.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I suffered from every anxiety under the sun in the past and there's only one thing you need to know to get over it

Face your fear!

Don't think about socializing tooo much just go say hi to someone maybe ask them how their day is going or something and see what happens. Don't think about the judgement they're making on you either, although it's inevitable, in the long run it doesn't really matter what they think of you to begin with :)

I've met many people who I've read wrong on a first impression and I'm sure a lot of my friends read me wrong too so don't worry about it :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Definitely let your Ne exercise it's influence. INFPs are curious about people. Focus on that curiosity of others to overcome Fi's low self-esteem. Take active notice of what other people are interested in, and use that to ask questions and learn more about them and the world around us. Don't be discouraged if your first attempts seem clumsy. It's going to take some practice, maybe even a few missteps, but you'll begin to get the hang of it. Eventually, your Ne will become so strong that it won't be able to stop itself from asking people questions when something piques it's interest.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ask them questions and keep saying hi to them whenever you see them. Think of what kind of questions you would like to be asked, then ask them those types of questions. Make a goal of how many people you want to talk to in a day or week and take baby steps to accomplish those goals. Good luck :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts