Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Is there anybody else who struggles with studying especially when you are NOT in the mood?
Also.. Can you study for long hours?

Personally.. I can't! I have never ever understood people who study like..many,many hours and more! Or offering sleeping-time for studying.. I even get tired of 30 minutes brainwork, so even an hour is a long time for me. And I can not study when I’m tired! That’s why I always prefer sleeping to studying.
I also can not think & conecertate when I’m not in the mood (which appeareantly happens a lot). . I just can't think normally when my head is full of… clutter! That’s why my grades are suffering and I’m suffering because of them too.
I know that studying is important but my moods think something else. Although I want to, I have hard times to DO.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can study for hours upon hours.
However, sometimes I'm not in the mood for it.
Usually when I do study it's at night and I sacrifice all my sleep time. :tongue:

Reactions: Coccinellidae

·
Registered
217 Posts
Most definitely! Most of the times I can't even get myself to "study", well actually memorize boring facts about stuff I'll never need (especially if you go to my school). I just... can't.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know how you feel, some SJs are wonder-machines at getting work done, but for me as the lazy person I am nah. Although I can push myself to get stuff done when absolutely needed.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i NEVER study,for a variety of reasons.i'm really good at remembering what i've learned as long as it's words,i'm terrible at mth and complicated science-because its all methodical. I also find it emotionally draining, if i didn't remember it the first time i won't if i read it over and over.
i cna't function when i'm in a"mood"i get stuck on tihngs and i have zero ambition- i call it a case of the"fuck-its"

·
Registered
815 Posts
i NEVER study,for a variety of reasons.i'm really good at remembering what i've learned as long as it's words,i'm terrible at mth and complicated science-because its all methodical. I also find it emotionally draining, if i didn't remember it the first time i won't if i read it over and over.
i cna't function when i'm in a"mood"i get stuck on tihngs and i have zero ambition- i call it a case of the"fuck-its"
Ditto. Studying doesn`t help me much, at most I'll read class notes once before the exam. I love sciences but I hate math so I limit myself to reading about it in magazines/on the internet and leave all the boring calculations to others.

I have a good memory so exams have never been a problem for me, I always get good grades on those. My problem is boring, out of class work. I can't bring myself to concentrate and get things done if I don't find value in them. This has led to me to fail classes in which I had 90's on the exams. I simply couldn't finish final papers. College has been a wreck for me so far because of this...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't focus for long hours, hell I can hardly get it together for 30 minutes.
I end up getting really distracted and doing anything but studying.

Sometimes the only thing that can get me to focus is extreme last minute pressure.
I think in high school I studied best in the ten minutes before the test was handed out, honestly.
I just took the review sheet and memorized it.

However, If I'm interested in the subject, I could research for hours.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Gahhh, I have a roommate this year at school that is the kind of person that has to study for 7 hours for 3 days straight to get a B on a test. I swear to God sometimes I just want to yell, "DID NOBODY TEACH YOU HOW TO STUDY?! YOU'RE FUCKING UP MY ALONE TIME!" lol. Having a college roommate that I don't click with has really made me a crazy neurotic mess this year. :| But I digress. I should be studying right now, but I'm at my friend's dorm watching TV, listening to music, and holding her snake (he's a cutie). I usually can't study for more than like an hour at a time without going nuts; I have nooo attention span, unless it's something I'm intensely interested in, like Philosophy. I took a phil. class online, and I had to basically teach the subject to myself and read a 40 page chapter of the textbook a week. I had no problem with it, because I found all of the introspection really fulfilling.

But something like Biology? Forrrrrrget it. Cold hard facts are boring.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with this. I hate doing boring homework or sitting and studying something over and over. Its just a waste of time to me. Especially if it is math or really math-involved science. I can't stand that crap.

However, if I really care about something, I'll read about it all the time. Basically, I've found that if I don't care about a subject, I cannot concentrate on it at all and I'll continue to put it off until the last minute. Sometimes if I wait too long and I know I won't be able to get it done in time, I'll just say "Fuck it" and won't even bother trying.

But yes my grades suffer because of this. I'm retaking a math class that I failed last quarter right now. I'm kind of screwing it up again even though I know I have no excuse. Dammit! I just want to pass the damn class so I can be done with math forever!! :frustrating:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh no, I'm always in the mood for studying.

Ha ha, OK, maybe not. In my first year, when I was in some science courses, I had similar issues with concentration. Generally, I'd last maybe 20 minutes tops before feeling fatigued. My ability to concentrate has improved lately, possibly due to improvement in my eating and exercising habits...

Then again, I'm a literature student, and I don't consider reading great novels "studying." That's to say, it's not work to me. What are you studying in school, Caramel?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'd say this applies more to homework in my case. The mood for doing homework tends to be far and few in between, but can pull all-nighters and "extreme-focus-in-my-own-world" sessions when it happens it's a magical feeling. My only studying time was right before the class and that seem to earn me an A or B, but that was back in high school. College requires a completely different approach for me. I'm starting to think my city's public school system does not properly prepare us for college.

Reactions: Coccinellidae

·
Registered
98 Posts
I aaaalways put things off when I'm not really, intensely passionate about the subject.
I end up doing my homework late at night when completely exhausted and stressed out :tongue:
However I manage to cope with it and my results are actually pretty good, because in class I have the ability to concentrate intensely and remember most of it afterwards.
Getting to work on my own is just impossible- when I have something stressful to do and I am just by myself, I end up being depressed and really need some ENFJ to reassure me :crazy:

But on the other hand I tend to be VERY passionate about things I like, I can dedicate my whole life to something that really matters to me, even forgetting about myself. I think that's quite INFP :happy:

I think INFPs have strong potential but just have to find the right path- we're not robots and that's actually quite nice in a sense.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh no, I'm always in the mood for studying.

Ha ha, OK, maybe not. In my first year, when I was in some science courses, I had similar issues with concentration. Generally, I'd last maybe 20 minutes tops before feeling fatigued. My ability to concentrate has improved lately, possibly due to improvement in my eating and exercising habits...

Then again, I'm a literature student, and I don't consider reading great novels "studying." That's to say, it's not work to me. What are you studying in school, Caramel?
It's weird. I tend to get bored fast, but when I'm reading a book, I can go for hours before getting enough of it..
I definitely have concetration problems with subjects like math, physics, chemistry... 3 basic things that form fountain of trouble...

I have to admit that I'm very passionate about subjects I like (for example: psychology, Estonian (grammar especially..lol), literature, math's algebra, history and that's like...all).. I usually don't get tired of them at all.. I have got always time for them! lol

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I find I can concentrate for a while then my mind wanders off and I really can't continue. The best way around it is (I know it's said alot) to take alot of breaks. However, never take a break and go online, you then get stuck on there and can't get back to work! Instead take a break and do something brainless like cleaning or have a snack (I take my breaks around meal times so I can break up work with food which then feels like a reward :D)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, and I never seem to be in the mood for studying except researching extracurricular subjects I'm interested in. I don't understand why every student in the world hasn't revolted against the system yet.. people should have the right to pursue whatever motivates them, they're turning us into mind slaves. >:[

·
Registered
73 Posts
My grades have been dropping like flies the last years for this reason. When I was younger I had some feeling that I had to get good grades no matter what, so I studied (somewhat) even though I didn't want to. Now I don't really care anymore so I get only mediocre grades in the classes I'm not interested.

I don't think my teachers understand me though. Last year I failed all tests in a class, except the last one (I didn't wan't to fail the whole class) which I got an A in. The teacher gave me a very odd look when he told me my grade o_O

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't focus for long hours, hell I can hardly get it together for 30 minutes.
I end up getting really distracted and doing anything but studying.

Sometimes the only thing that can get me to focus is extreme last minute pressure.
I think in high school I studied best in the ten minutes before the test was handed out, honestly.
I just took the review sheet and memorized it.

However, If I'm interested in the subject, I could research for hours.
Yeah, this pretty much describes me.

Tine's advice I think is the best - taking breaks (but avoid the internet). Sometimes I play my guitar. I also like the having a snack idea. But that can also result in some serious over-snacking:happy:

I might be a bit of a curiosity among the INFP crown, being borderline-T. I was a math major in college and am currently a software engineer. Generally got good grades, but I did experience a slow, gradual decline in my grades as the years went by. It's like I was becoming more and more attuned to what I liked and didn't like and could only focus on the stuff I liked. Sometimes, though, the last minute pressure did me a ton of good.

It looks like most INFPs don't care too much for math. That's iteresting to me, since I enjoy it. However, this probably has to do with the fact that I'm pretty extreme N and borderline F/T. But within math I definitely have my strengths and weaknesses. Abstract Algebra was no problem. A general explanation, and an example or two and I had the concept down. (Interestingly, I would pretty much ace every test in that course, but still got a C cause I didn't do the homework - it became too repetitive). Differential Equations was my nightmare. Problems that took dozens of meticulously detailed steps to solve -- determine the concentration of a particular solute at a certain point in time in a vat into which two different solutions are being poured at different rates. No thank you!! Give me a problem in which the solution is fairly simple once you recognize the pattern!

My aversion to studying certain things can be a real challenge for me at work sometimes. Especially since I've now been promoted to a position in which I'm expected to be highly productive. Yikes! I'm trying to adopt the habit of taking breaks to read about things which I find interesting that are related to my field (latest trends in web development and such--believe it or not, it CAN be pretty interesting). Sometimes this works pretty well. Keeping up on this stuff is part of my job description. But I still have a definite tendency to get distracted. Often I find myself mulling over how I need to deal with a relationship hurdle, dreaming about future endeavors, thinking about my favorite sports teams, or (my favorite), pondering the meaning of life and refining my personal philosophy!

I guess that was long. That is another tendency of mine.

I'm enjoying getting familiar with this forum - this is my first post!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts