1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's pretty interesting.

Haruki Murakami

Murakami Playlist

^ List of songs referenced in his books.

Murakami likes: jazz, classical music, talking cats, regular cats, food, descriptions of eating, descriptions of cooking, beer, unicorn skulls, creepy sheep-men, ambiguity, long-winded passages about the mundane.

That's not a serious list, of course, but you'll find these things sprinkled in his books.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think he could be INXP. Your thoughts?
That's my impression. I see Si because of his attention to pleasant sensory experiences that have meaning to the characters, and I see Ne because he weaves together a lot of ideas but doesn't always bother to tie them off. He focuses a lot on emotions, and his characters tend to be the quiet, passive, introspective kind.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I've read "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle", which was a fantastic book, and I got a very INTP vibe off of his writing.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'm between the two. What struck you as INTP?
I have no doubt that he is an Ne-auxiliary. It's been some time since I read it, but I recall the style of writing as being something that was rather detached and, while hidden with many subplots, didn't really have much emotionality to it (which is what made the book fascinating to me), which suggests an inferior Fe to me. It's more by default that I think that he is an INTP.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no doubt that he is an Ne-auxiliary. It's been some time since I read it, but I recall the style of writing as being something that was rather detached and, while hidden with many subplots, didn't really have much emotionality to it (which is what made the book fascinating to me), which suggests an inferior F function to me.
You have a point. He likes to explore relationships in his books (romantic, platonic, otherworldly) but his main characters are almost always detached, to the point where I sometimes feel they're empty shells. He usually conveys emotion through his female characters.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You have a point. He likes to explore relationships in his books (romantic, platonic, otherworldly) but his main characters are almost always detached, to the point where I sometimes feel they're empty shells. He usually conveys emotion through his female characters.
Well, while we're on the subject, which books by Murakami would you recommend? I've heard that "Kafka on the Shore" is also considered one of his best works. But, I'm rather indecisive as to which one to pick up.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, while we're on the subject, which books by Murakami would you recommend? I've heard that "Kafka on the Shore" is also considered one of his best works. But, I'm rather indecisive as to which one to pick up.
I really enjoyed "Kafka on the Shore", so I'd go with that one. "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" is also interesting, but I had mixed feelings about it. I think this is where the translation matters, because the version I read seemed very minimal.

Norwegian Wood is supposed to be one of his most popular books, but it's a story about an ordinary couple in love. I didn't see the point. His short-story collections are hit or miss, and books like "After Dark" and "South of the Border, West of the Sun" are very, very short.

I haven't tackled 1Q84 yet, but I hear it's worth it.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
If I remember correctly, Murakami was frustrated with a well known author during his child hood. I believe he used this as a motivation to become a writer, or at least, when he -did- become one, be better than the (fascist?) writing he was exposed too.

Anyways, I think he's an INFP. Not INTP, not INFJ, INFP.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I remember correctly, Murakami was frustrated with a well known author during his child hood. I believe he used this as a motivation to become a writer, or at least, when he -did- become one, be better than the (fascist?) writing he was exposed too.

Anyways, I think he's an INFP. Not INTP, not INFJ, INFP.
Yeah, I have a hard time seeing INFJ. INXP makes the most sense, and I lean INFP because of what he chooses to write about.

Thanks for responding :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just got back from a Murakami reading festival for one. I also watched some interviews of Murakami online. Can't see him as anything other than INFP now. He's awesome. One of my faves.

·
Registered
ESFP 6w7
370 Posts
I've read only one book (I don't know the original title, but it was this one)
Text Font Poster Book cover Book

and it was SUCH a Fi-Ne book that I can't think any other options besides INFP

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I really enjoyed "Kafka on the Shore", so I'd go with that one. "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" is also interesting, but I had mixed feelings about it. I think this is where the translation matters, because the version I read seemed very minimal.

Norwegian Wood is supposed to be one of his most popular books, but it's a story about an ordinary couple in love. I didn't see the point. His short-story collections are hit or miss, and books like "After Dark" and "South of the Border, West of the Sun" are very, very short.

I haven't tackled 1Q84 yet, but I hear it's worth it.
Norwegian Wood was the first I read and I enjoyed it, though it wasn't anything particularly special. I started Kafka and really liked it but then never finished(don't remember why). I also really liked 1Q84 and binge read it over 2 days and probably an unhealthy amount of tea.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
I'm sure Murakami is INFP. There's this one point in 1Q84 where he describes one of the main characters having these mental, inner watery caverns, and I thought this is such an INFP thing; it's obvious that he was speaking from himself. Most of his characters seem to be introverts as well.

First chapter of this book greatly involves this:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts