Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always have had this weak spot for villains. It seems like they always get the short end of the stick just because they are labelled as the bad guys. It's even more heart breaking when you get to know their past and motivations just to be thwarted at the end by those meddling heroes. Does any one feel this way? Also does any one know of a movie or a book where the villain wins?

·
Registered
174 Posts
After reading the Wicked series, I just can't see the Wicked Witch of the West as a villain anymore. I find Dorothy insufferably annoying now, too, despite the fact that I adore Judy Garland, and I loathe the Wizard.

Reactions: steinmann and Aavex

·
Registered
55 Posts
a lot of the time i genuinely feel sorry for the villains, like in "gladiator" when joaquin phoenix's father passed on caesarship to russell crowe instead of his son.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
No, I don't think so. "Bad" & Villain has a rotten taste for me. I am very much attracted to "Good" and "Right", mentally healthy. I'm not a fan of the insane, the psychopath or sociopath.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I always do this! My friends make fun of me and think I'm crazy but I can always see the bad guys motive and back story and I feel sorry for him. I don't always want him to win in the end but I want everybody to try and understand each other. I love Javert from Les Mis. I know he's not reallly a "villian" but he's doing what he thinks is right even when you can see he's wrong. Hubris is the best!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Megamind, from Megamind. I mean, you're kind of supposed to like him, but he is sort of technically the villain. Not that it really counts.

Reactions: Kyo and Aavex

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, while I can honestly say that I usually root for the good guys, there is one show where I've caught myself internally hoping that the bad guys get a happy ending, too. (And that they realize that what they are doing is wrong and turn good).

Once Upon a Time.

The writers take the fairy tales we have grown up with and give them a new twist. They give backstories to the "bad guys" and explain to us why they are the way they are. I have to say, a couple of the "villain's" backstories have broken my heart and, though I don't want their plans to succeed and nor do I agree with their methods, I want them to have a happy ending, too.

There still are some villains that just annoy the heck out of me (*cough* Captain Hook *cough*), but then there are some whose stories tug on my heart strings and just make me feel bad for them.:crying:

Reactions: Aavex

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Iago from Othello
Hated him with a passion and he deserved it.

More often than not villains are written in a way that they're more complex and have more complex motivations for their actions than their heroic counterparts. The only time the hero is more compelling are in the cases of the reluctant, anti or broken hero. Those kinds of characters are by far the most interesting to read about.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Since I was very young, I have always been fascinated by the tragically flawed hero, the misunderstood "evil" genius, and even the anti-hero. But not the villain, though. Never the villain. I can empathize with their plight but I will not cheer them on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since I was very young, I have always been fascinated by the tragically flawed hero, the misunderstood "evil" genius, and even the anti-hero. But not the villain, though. Never the villain. I can empathize with their plight but I will not cheer them on.
Perfectly stated. Couldn't have said it better myself. :proud:

Reactions: Kyo and Fern

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I always have had this weak spot for villains. It seems like they always get the short end of the stick just because they are labelled as the bad guys. It's even more heart breaking when you get to know their past and motivations just to be thwarted at the end by those meddling heroes. Does any one feel this way?
I find I have more of a soft spot in fiction for bad guys because they often have the most enigmatic or charismatic characters. In real life it's the opposite.

My favorite character in the Watchmen is the comedian, who is a rapist and a sadist. Though I couldn't stand Ozymandias, because he was so incredibly narcissistic.

Often the bad guys are the most charismatic or enigmatic characters. The Joker eclipsed every other character in the Dark Knight, as did Bill the butcher in Gangs of New York, and Lector in Silence of the Lambs. I preferred them to the heroes.

And in the series Heroes, Syler was my favorite character.

I always get a little pissed when the attractive female villain gets killed off. Simply because the bad girls usually act the most seductive on screen, and I want them to get with the good guy for some reason.

In the Star Wars universe I prefer the Sith, and would love being a bad guy in KOTOR 1 and 2 (though the voice acting would literally make me feel bad when I made an evil decision and people pleaded)...

Sith all the way baby.

Also does any one know of a movie or a book where the villain wins?
Off the top of my head; Wild things, Usual Suspects, Memento, and most horror films.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts