Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well did you guys do? I've been skimming another thread where you all talk about how you got EXTREMELY high grades. :crazy:

And I fucking hate you for it.

How the hell can you guys be so lazy in school, skip classes, forget to turn in HW and still get a 4.0?

I went to gifted & talented high school and took all AP courses, and only worked 15 hours a week, but I was so disorganized and half-assed that I only got a 3.6 (unweighted). I almost failed P.E.!! So yeah, no Ivy League for me. :crying: I didn't even bother applying to anywhere except one state school, because I knew I'd never get in anywhere else.

Right now in college, I'm doing even worse - only a 3.3.............and I'm majoring in Accounting. I'm a little busier, true (working full-time as well, also have my own business to tend to, am part of a local comedy troupe, I'm in a sorority, not to mention exercise 1 hour a day).

I failed Intermediate Accounting once (got a D) and the second time around (a year later) I got a C. :crazy: HOW STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO FAIL AT COUNTING BEANS...TWICE?

And then I got a C in FUCKING CREATIVE WRITING because the professor was SO biased in favor of poetry and so strict on late policies/EVERYTHING being typed, that I simply didn't bother doing the fucking poetry analyses at all (I had no printer, and neither did the school during summer).

I only have the 3.3 because I get straight A's in classes that I actually like - such as Economics, Physics, Philosophy, Statistics, anything Math. Yet my classmates struggle in these classes. WTH?

OK rant over, but someone PLEASE tell me I'm not the only academically-challenged ENTP here. :mellow:

·
Registered
424 Posts
If I designed and started out with good schooling habits, I'd be in Ivy League. Unfortunately, rarely ENTPs develop J-like traits early on with their lives. I understood everything I was learning (and even whored to the teachers) but was depressed and very unmotivated. Now at the point where I am, I just say fuck it. School doesn't dictate how successful I will be in the future. If I am talented, smart, intelligent, then I will naturally elevate to higher society levels (naive or not?).

I think that's the spirit of the ENTP, always finding a new method or way to the same destination. Not all people go to Ivy's are geniuses. Not all people who go to public schools are joe blows. It's all in the individual.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Your grades don't actually look that bad, God. A 3.6 in high school while working is too bad at all. And actually, I think that's just part of being an ENTP--being pretty smart yet being so scatterbrained that you can't get shit done unless you're really interested in. I'm the same way for the most part.

However, I'm "gifted" according to the state, so I learn a whole lot easier than everyone else does. I don't think that has anything to do with type though.

Reactions: dagnytaggart

·
Registered
691 Posts
3.3 is not that bad. You could always bring it up a little but unless you want to go to med school, you're fine.

You're one of the good ones. Don't major in accounting, especially if you kick ass in math and physics. Be an engineer or something useful/interesting. Accounting is a dark path for an ENTP.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
"Academically challenged" means that you can't pass a class for the life of you. You might not be an excellent student, but by definition most aren't. I've gotten my share of bullshit a's that I didn't deserve. Your grades look fine. If you are ready to sacrifice other things in your life, you can proba
bly pull them up. In my view grades in college really don't matter unless you have some very specific plan that demands them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How well did you guys do? I've been skimming another thread where you all talk about how you got EXTREMELY high grades. :crazy:

And I fucking hate you for it.

How the hell can you guys be so lazy in school, skip classes, forget to turn in HW and still get a 4.0?

I went to gifted & talented high school and took all AP courses, and only worked 15 hours a week, but I was so disorganized and half-assed that I only got a 3.6 (unweighted). I almost failed P.E.!! So yeah, no Ivy League for me. :crying: I didn't even bother applying to anywhere except one state school, because I knew I'd never get in anywhere else.

Right now in college, I'm doing even worse - only a 3.3.............and I'm majoring in Accounting. I'm a little busier, true (working full-time as well, also have my own business to tend to, am part of a local comedy troupe, I'm in a sorority, not to mention exercise 1 hour a day).

I failed Intermediate Accounting once (got a D) and the second time around (a year later) I got a C. :crazy: HOW STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO FAIL AT COUNTING BEANS...TWICE?

And then I got a C in FUCKING CREATIVE WRITING because the professor was SO biased in favor of poetry and so strict on late policies/EVERYTHING being typed, that I simply didn't bother doing the fucking poetry analyses at all (I had no printer, and neither did the school during summer).

I only have the 3.3 because I get straight A's in classes that I actually like - such as Economics, Physics, Philosophy, Statistics, anything Math. Yet my classmates struggle in these classes. WTH?

OK rant over, but someone PLEASE tell me I'm not the only academically-challenged ENTP here. :mellow:
Well first of all you should lower your standards. That might help. Second of all stop whining no one ever gets anywhere through whining. Third, the key is to ONLY take classes that you are interested in (when and if you have the choice)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You aren't intellectually challenged, god, even if you feel academically challenged. As a Brit I don't understand your grade numbering system so I have no idea what they mean: I say this so you know I'm not commenting on what I think of your performance. Your own disappointment comes across loud and clear though.

Few possible hints, though:

ENTP's besetting sin is trying to do too much, because everything seems possible, and then not being able to get it all done. I don't know about others, I but I seem to need an awful lot of downtime. Your downtime is filled with more work. Give yourself a break. How many years are you in College? Couldn't your other business, comedy troupe, sorority (wtf is that?) wait a little? Do you have to do all the subjects you are doing?

Ask yourself, and try to be objective, why you are doing these subjects if you don't enjoy them. Accounting: yeah, I can understand if you want to have reliable employment that might be useful, but if that's your angle why on earth do poetry if you don't enjoy it?

Finally remember that a lot of marks in academic assignments are not given for pure naked intellect. if they want it word-processed triple-spaced in purple ink, then do it word processed, triple spaced and in purple ink. They are the ones awarding the marks, and you don;t get marks for originality in presentation for all subjects. Toe the line. I have seen utter fuckwits performing really well in exams because they are good at filing the paperwork, when the good brains, the people that I would respect, are failing badly because this is not their priority. Dull as it is, you have to engage with this. It will be more laborious for you than for many: give it more time, not less.

That's enough lecturing for a Saturday night. The final word is, this too shall pass. Go and have a beer.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3.3 is not that bad. You could always bring it up a little but unless you want to go to med school, you're fine.

You're one of the good ones. Don't major in accounting, especially if you kick ass in math and physics. Be an engineer or something useful/interesting. Accounting is a dark path for an ENTP.
Well first of all you should lower your standards. That might help. Second of all stop whining no one ever gets anywhere through whining. Third, the key is to ONLY take classes that you are interested in (when and if you have the choice)
Yeah, can you tell I just saw my Accounting grade for the Summer semester? :crazy:

But yeah, I decided on a major too quickly. Everyone kept telling me how wonderful accounting was, how I'll never be out a job, good money, etc etc.

By deciding quickly on a major, I was trying to be cost effective and shot myself in the foot big time. If practicality was no issue, I would have majored in Economics, Physics and Philosophy. (Well, 2 of the 3).

SO TO EVERYONE WHO HASN'T DECLARED A MAJOR: DON'T RUSH TO DO SO. OR YOU'RE *STUCK* UNTIL YOU GRADUATE.

But I've decided that I'm not going to pursue Accounting (CPA, CFA etc)... just having the degree will get my foot in the door in many fields. Plus, once I'm done with school, I'm going to dedicate myself more to my business, expand it, or pick up a TESL degree and teach abroad! It's what I love about life...there's ALWAYS options. :wink:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
My ENTP sister is "academically challenged" as well - her grades are all over the place. She somehow manages to squeeze every grade from F to A into a single semester and thus her overall GPA is not very high. Needless to say this throws my parents into disarray as they don't understand this or know how to deal with it. But then my sis got her first job last summer, and did quite well on it, such that the boss of her boss told her that she is welcome to come back next summer. So this summer she had a job guaranteed. Thus I am not very worried for her because grades don't automatically equal to good performance in real life. Mostly her bad grades are due to her a) taking classes she does not care about and b) not estimating herself accurately, mostly overestimating herself so taking on classes she is not well prepared for.

There are some places where you'll be really gimping yourself by having low GPA like medical school because they actually automatically sort applications by the 'numbers' in them like your GPA and MCAT test score, so if you are at the very bottom of the pile they only review like 5% of those kind of 'low number' apps and you'll just never have a chance to even get reviewed. But there are plenty of other professions and jobs out there that do not require you having a straight A record.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do much worse than I'm capable of, certainly. Like a true ENTP, I always pull it off at the end. This is fine in most courses, but as has been pointed out, not in medicine. Guess what I'm doing? :crazy:

I've just done my last chance resits (Kicked out of school if I fail). I get my results back next week. If I've failed, I'm out of here and my whole world collapses. Am I worried? Am I hell! (Okay, a little).

I think at some point, we all "wake up" and get our act together. This summer, I hope, has been the very wake up call. Maybe you'll wake up too. You're still young, right? Admittedly, I'm 22 which seems a tad late to be growing up. :laughing:

At the end of the day, you're ENTP. You might not know how, but everything is going to work out. You're too big to fail! You'll find a method of study that works for you; you'll find a job that plays to your strengths (and then leave it, bored, after a short while!). It might take a while, but unlike most people you've very little to worry about.

·
Registered
97 Posts

OK rant over, but someone PLEASE tell me I'm not the only academically-challenged ENTP here.
You're academic experience sounds remarkably similar to mine. B-B plus avg by getting lots of As and Cs I once got the highest grade in the class for a Stats exam and was nursing a hangover when I took the thing. I had a 97 and the mean was 68, they allowed everyone to take an extra exam to wipe out the score. Didn't need to study, whole thing was heavy intuition. I also got an F on a Tax Accounting exam that I put a lot of hours into studying for. Except I was the poster child for ADHD during that study time - couldn't concentrate on that boring crap no matter how hard I tried. This led the tax professor to think I should be coming to class on a short bus, while my Stats professor thought I was a genius. Also did very well in microeconomics and logic, but only got a C in Greek Mythology because the teacher was being very generous. I deserved an F. Why I decided to take that class is beyond me.

The ENTP Math career path is not well traveled. Seems the other kids in my econ and stats classes were INTJs who were quite content to go work in some research institute or as quants for hedge funds. But I do financial consulting for companies now, and can tell you a lot of people like my (and I would bet your) ability to challenge conventional thinking, while still being able to read a balance sheet and income statement. I also do standup comedy at local clubs, and was recently complemented by a client as being "unusually funny and outgoing for a numbers guy".

You are definitely doing the right thing avoiding the CPA, CFA, and other creativity challenged certified career paths. Also sounds like you're drowning out all the conventional bullshit advice about finance/accounting career paths. One thing I found was that I enjoyed work a lot more than school, far less structure, especially after I ended my extremely brief career as an auditor.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're academic experience sounds remarkably similar to mine. B-B plus avg by getting lots of As and Cs I once got the highest grade in the class for a Stats exam and was nursing a hangover when I took the thing. I had a 97 and the mean was 68, they allowed everyone to take an extra exam to wipe out the score. Didn't need to study, whole thing was heavy intuition. I also got an F on a Tax Accounting exam that I put a lot of hours into studying for. Except I was the poster child for ADHD during that study time - couldn't concentrate on that boring crap no matter how hard I tried. This led the tax professor to think I should be coming to class on a short bus, while my Stats professor thought I was a genius. Also did very well in microeconomics and logic, but only got a C in Greek Mythology because the teacher was being very generous. I deserved an F. Why I decided to take that class is beyond me.

The ENTP Math career path is not well traveled. Seems the other kids in my econ and stats classes were INTJs who were quite content to go work in some research institute or as quants for hedge funds. But I do financial consulting for companies now, and can tell you a lot of people like my (and I would bet your) ability to challenge conventional thinking, while still being able to read a balance sheet and income statement. I also do standup comedy at local clubs, and was recently complemented by a client as being "unusually funny and outgoing for a numbers guy".

You are definitely doing the right thing avoiding the CPA, CFA, and other creativity challenged certified career paths. Also sounds like you're drowning out all the conventional bullshit advice about finance/accounting career paths. One thing I found was that I enjoyed work a lot more than school, far less structure, especially after I ended my extremely brief career as an auditor.
WHAT? You do stand-up too? :shocked: :crazy:

You're right though, I've indeed had a nearly identical experience. I ALWAYS got C's in history... anything with rote memorization and lack of natural logic/intuition, and I'm a goner.

I've done VERY well in all my Economics classes...I remember walking in the Econ department to request to add that as a major, but I hadn't taken an Econ class for two semesters, and I was only a sophomore. Well, one of my professors saw me and POINTED at me and said to the other professors, "Well look who's here! You guys, meet XXXXX. She was my best student in all my years."

I was like... :mellow: :blushed:

And then my Calculus professor literally told me that I was "the sharpest student" he's ever had.
Very odd, considering I NEVER studied for these classes. I never even bought the textbooks. I just treated the tests like a fun puzzle. This DOES NOT work for history or accounting. :crazy:

But then I had an Accounting professor who point-blank told me: "Accounting's not for you. You just don't have the intellect for it. You ought to just cut your losses and drop out of school. Perhaps be a nanny."

and another one who told the whole class that: "Anybody with high intelligence will excel in Accounting. If you're just naturally slower, you'll get weeded out accordingly."

:unsure:

Anyway, I'm 20 and I'm a Research Analyst/Office Manager. There's a lot of boring detail work, but when it comes to great ideas or problem solving, that's when I shine.

·
Registered
409 Posts
WHAT? You do stand-up too? :shocked: :crazy:

You're right though, I've indeed had a nearly identical experience. I ALWAYS got C's in history... anything with rote memorization and lack of natural logic/intuition, and I'm a goner.

I've done VERY well in all my Economics classes...I remember walking in the Econ department to request to add that as a major, but I hadn't taken an Econ class for two semesters, and I was only a sophomore. Well, one of my professors saw me and POINTED at me and said to the other professors, "Well look who's here! You guys, meet XXXXX. She was my best student in all my years."

I was like... :mellow: :blushed:

And then my Calculus professor literally told me that I was "the sharpest student" he's ever had.
Very odd, considering I NEVER studied for these classes. I never even bought the textbooks. I just treated the tests like a fun puzzle. This DOES NOT work for history or accounting. :crazy:

But then I had an Accounting professor who point-blank told me: "Accounting's not for you. You just don't have the intellect for it. You ought to just cut your losses and drop out of school. Perhaps be a nanny."

and another one who told the whole class that: "Anybody with high intelligence will excel in Accounting. If you're just naturally slower, you'll get weeded out accordingly."

:unsure:

Anyway, I'm 20 and I'm a Research Analyst/Office Manager. There's a lot of boring detail work, but when it comes to great ideas or problem solving, that's when I shine.
I never study for any of my tests either. And I usually do really well on them! :proud:

·
Registered
513 Posts
i had a 3.4. my senior year was so bad, i brought it down to a 3.3/3.2. i don't even know. i don't care. (it's because i can't write anything longer than a paragraph.)
i'm not going to college this year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biology-3.4. My grades in highschool were horrible. It wasn't "cool" for me to be a good student at my highschool, and my hormones told me I needed to be "cool" for the ladies.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I blame bad advice, but I probably only have myself to blame: I took 9 exams and only passed 3, with average grades. At least they were Maths and English.

I think it was because I lacked interest in the subjects, and French was compulsory.:dry: If I had the time again I would choose Chemistry, Physics, Art, Woodwork/Metalwork and Latin. I would have avoided Music and Computer Studies - they were no bloody good in the real world.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts