Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But they think they sound cool? I came into class late today and had to sit next to a new person because this girl was in my seat and the guy was telling me how he wasn't in school last week because he was in the hospital and told the teacher he was in the hospital and then he starts telling me how he turned 21 and he's gotten drunk every night since which is like 9 days straight! He was nice enough to compliment my sunglasses, but my first response was you're crazy dude and then I proceeded to tell him how alcohol deteriorates your muscle tissue after 3 days of drinking including your brain, and that I was sorry to sound like I was lecturing, but I wasn't sorry! He's like "You only turn 21 once its crayyy." No offence to him, but like I didn't wanna be like "oh thats cool dude you must be having the time of your life" when he looks JACKED up. Seriously he had red eyes and he just looked like shit. What would you guys do in this situation?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Being the catalyst I am I'd be silent for long enough to allow them to think about their actions in real time. As far as generic advice goes, with everything I've come to learn about the downward spiral, from myself and others, is to just show them they're on that road -- and make sure they understand. When it becomes conscious knowledge that they're on a bad road it's completely up to them whether they continue to degrade themselves or not.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
Well, the main thing you have to remember is that people are going to make their own decisions regardless of your opinion. You've already given your opinion and he knows how you feel. I wouldn't push the issue much more than that unless he's a close friend. In that case, perhaps bring it up on occasion just to see where he's at on the chance he doesn't bring it up himself. Unfortunately, sometimes, you just have to sit back and watch.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Oh, "ruining your life" is rather judgmental and opinionated on your part, as I expected someone whining about he actually ruins his life without doing anything about it.

Anyway, none of your business really. One of a dozen. He'll either get around or he won't, got nothing to do with you.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, but he told me that and that was literally the only thing I could think of saying. Like IDK how to respond to something like that, it seemed like there was some anticipation to my response and that it held some weight. That's why I'm asking you guys, @Azure Bass how long do you usually hold silent for? Sounds like an effective method that a psychologist or adult figure would do. I seriously think he was expecting some form of pity, or validation or appraisal for the fact that he got drunk every day missed the midterm and probably almost died of alcohol poisoning, even kinda seemed like a cry for help. The fact that he's been staring at me all semester makes me think my opinion kinda does matter. I've been down that road trying to help someone with alcoholism and it basically takes me to abandon them in order for them to resent me enough to straighten out their life and desperately try to get my approval. In my own way, that is kinda doing something about it.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I usually disagree with people right off the get go if I think they're being stupid. I just prefer to do it via question and answer. For example:

Dummy: Dude, I drank like two bottles of mad dog last night!
Me: Oooh. You hung over?
D: Yup. My head's pounding.
M: I remember when I could drink like a fish. Once I had a liter of rum with 151 as a chaser. I was eating lemons whole.
D: Wow! That's cool!
M: So, did you enjoy last night?
D: Everything I can remember...
M: Pick up any chicks?
D: I was totally talking to this girl, but she left early.
M: Were you drunk at that point?
D: Yup. I was totally macking on her.
M: Have you considered you could have score if you were reasonably sober?
D: Ah, fuck.
M: Yup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts