Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
ESFP
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very severe ADHD and for most of my life, I was on amphetamines (Adderall, Ritalin) which helped me focus immensely. Where I'm living now, It's illegal to buy amphetamines or even have them, even with a prescription.

I was reading a bit and read that caffeine can have a similar (but not as strong effect). What do y'all think about this? Any experiences?

·
Registered
BEAR
1,785 Posts
My doc refuses to prescribe me stimulants because I'm prone to mania and psychosis, so if I need to focus on something that I know I won't be able to I'll have a couple cups of coffee to sorta direct my energy towards whatever task. It helps. I'm sure it's not as helpful as prescription stimulants, but it's better than nothing. I mean, caffeine is still a stimulant, just not as strong as Adderall. It's worth a shot.
What are the laws on non-stimulant ADHD meds over there? There are other options like clonidine and strattera.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have very severe ADHD and for most of my life, I was on amphetamines (Adderall, Ritalin) which helped me focus immensely. Where I'm living now, It's illegal to buy amphetamines or even have them, even with a prescription.

I was reading a bit and read that caffeine can have a similar (but not as strong effect). What do y'all think about this? Any experiences?
I think it helps focus a lot. I pretty much use it for that. I drink anywhere from one to three cups a day. I try not to drink it in the late afternoon, so it won't keep me up.
Google vitamin C and focus. Here is a link with some info on how to improve focus.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/87671-vitamins-focus-concentration/

·
Premium Member
37,400 Posts
Sorry but it doesn't replace ritalin for me, but it is better then nothing 🙂 I recommend to drink coffee before 6 in the evening and not more then 5 cups a day when your rested. I usually drink coffee before housework and homework and before wisiting some people. I also find melatonin helps to give me lots of sleep and rest which leaves me feeling more allert when I have got to sleep well. Excersize to. Fresh air helps quite a bit. Even though it helps when you are hungry or have sweet tooth, sugar drains my energy in the long run. It doesn't take much more then a bag of candies to feel that, and I feel a strong need to brush my teeth and I tend feel it ruins my mood if don't. I get up take brakes with work out when doing homework, because I find that helps too when the restlessness kicks in and I loose my focus, or I do some mindfullness, body relaxing techniques with closed eyes on the floor or I even powernap or sleep (preferably proper dream-sleep). That really helps a lot. I guess it improves the cirkulasion and cleance the brain maybe? Stress and emotional problems such as hate, fear or grief can drain my focus to no end! But there are an app for that called Exel at life (CBT-DIERY). Anti depressent Effexor could maybe help you in a worst case senario. It can calm your thoughts, make you stable (as long as you don't forget to take one!!) And give you exiting exstatic dreams for good or bad. I'm not sure if it is toxic though, I'd check that out if I were you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts