Personality Cafe banner

Has discovering personality typing improved or worsened your life?

• It has definetely improved my life.

Votes: 48 40.3%
  • It has definetely worsened my life.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • It had somewhat improved.

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • It had somewhat worsened.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • It neither improved nor worsened.

Votes: 29 24.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has dscovering personality typing improved or worsened your life?

Reactions: Grey

·
Banned
3,764 Posts
I don't know my personality type, so I can't really say.

But I think it has helped me to understand others better.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It seems to establish a different perspective on myself and others, but nonetheless hasn't improved or worsened anything. I can't see how the internet does that....except for increasing my periods of procrastination.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Internal
Upside: I am now aware of things that I do without realising it that may irritate or confuse others
Downside: I am now unapologetic for these points as they define me

External
Upside: I now realise what it is about people that attract or irritate me
Downside: Loads of them think this is just something that (as an ENFP) I will have forgotten about by my next eye blink

·
MOTM Aug 2010
1,412 Posts
I think it's been both a blessing and a curse for me.

As I've said many times before, it has helped me to better understand myself, as well as realize that not everyone thinks like me. Rather than "put people in a box" personality theory has helped me to understand the differences between others and myself.

One bad thing is that it has led me to, at times, overthink things. Sometimes I can get so caught up in trying to type someone, or trying to figure how I would act based on another person's type, that I can't focus on the present as easily as I can if I just act naturally.

And I have met people, both on the Internet (not just this forum, but others like it) and in RL that take things a little too far. I have known people who insist that others are certain types when I later find out that they're not, and this has led to some strained relationships.

·
Registered
680 Posts
it has helped me understand myself and others more, but I admit that some stereotypes sneak into my head in decision making. It has made me realize that I have not reached my potential by far. :blushed:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
It has definitely been validating and beneficial.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's helped me avoid my blind spots, so that's good. I also like how it gives me another approach in how to deal with difficult people. But I sometimes have a tendency to overuse it, so I have to watch out for that. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like an MBTI test! :laughing:

·
Registered
676 Posts
It has helped me understand myself better and also given me some vocabulary to aid in explaining myself to others. It has also helped me to understand others better. One thing that I do not want it to do is limit me. For instance, INTJs are supposed to be cold and arrogant, by some accounts - I don't want to use this as a reason to not try to be warm and caring towards others both in a way that comes natural to me and in ways that they might understand more readily.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well, I dunno.

1. It gives me something to think about.

2. When I first thought that I might be an SJ, I got really angry. I think it was due to the fact that it is common, and I didn't want to be called common. I realize that that was a stupid response, but whatever. Now I don't really care.

So maybe the last option. I actually voted for the "slightly worsened" option, but I changed my mind right when I hit the vote button. :/

·
Registered
389 Posts
Knowing my type has helped somewhat. I try to see things from multiple sides now rather than forming an opinion right of the bat and never changing my mind. Also, I know my wanting always to be organized and clean is not a curse. I always get mocked for it and thought it was a bad thing :S. I also now try to be aware more of people feelings, at work they say I am a robot though (due to lack of emotion, specifically anger) >.> I still feel I have a long way to go with understanding others...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has dscovering personality typing improved or worsened your life?
Neither; I haven't paid it much mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definitely helped.

It made me know that the fact that I'm so very different from others, doesn't mean there's something wrong with me...or them. That's nobody's fault, it's just the way life is.

It also helped me to feel special and different (which has it's benefits, when you're an INTJ), and yet gave me a sense of belonging, which I was missing in my immediate social environment for many years.

Overall, it made me more confident, more open and accepting.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I think it's a matter of viewpoint. It takes up more of my time than it reasonably should, and I tend to try and put people in boxes. On the other hand, it's one of my passions, and I happen to enjoy boxes. :p Also, it gives me something to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.