Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Quite the opposite, actually. I've recognized my weaknesses and have started to focus on them. I try to make an effort to care more about other people, be genuinely interested in them, show my appreciation, and do nice things. I also show my emotions a little bit more, just so I don't end up succumbing to a grip. It's important to be dynamic!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If anything, I've been moving in the opposite direction. Ever since I heard that ENTJ's can be cold and uncaring I've been trying a lot harder to listen to people's problems and be there for them.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sometimes.
Then I realize how silly I am, laugh and stop doing it.

Reactions: rawrmosher and Herp

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Flanderized? Actually, when I saw that I initially thought it was "slandered," and I thought, oh, here we've got another one of those threads :).

Well, since I'm here, I'll join in. I don't think I've started to act more like a stereotypical (key word stereotypical. I think that might be what you're going for, since even within a given type people are so variable) version or my type, but I do recognize certain processes and cognitive perspectives within myself when I'm cogitating, and I realize, "oh, that's Se coming into focus," or whatever. But no, I don't think I've changed myself in order to fit the type I've listed under my avatar. It's just given me better self awareness and better tools to deal with my weaknesses.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
The anonymity of this site gives me some latitude for testing my communication style, and being a little (stress little) more blunt here, than I have been usually in real life? But MBTI helps put words to differences about people I sort of experienced without knowing what to call it. So It doesn't change my real life, but might help me develop some new tools?

I was old enough before finding this site, to be somewhat self aware and to have found ways of organizing that work for me and things like that. But this is like being a fly on the wall to some inner workings of other people? When you see a group discussion where they all sound like your brother, or you hear something in your own type group and you think, ooooh this is why so and so thinks I'm from another planet.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
If anything, since learning my type I've realized how unlike my type I really am.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, at first I was. To some extent, I was overwhelmed by the fact that some people were like me and automatically I tried to identify myself with them as much as possible. However, after a little while, I realized that some points didn't work and that I was trying to BE the stereotype instead of being myself like I was before.

Then I discovered the cognitive functions. It changed my whole view of the MBTI and at that point I understood that everybody, even from the same type, were completely different from one another. What we had in common was what we have when we come to birth; it is actually believed that we are born with our preferences. But it doesn't change that while we have this initial package, we have another one that gets built over time; built with our own experiences. At that point, I knew that I tried too hard to fit in the stereotypes that couldn't be me; I'm not them and they're not me.

As of now, I know who I am and the MBTI is a powerful tool for me to understand myself - and others - better. But I learned that nobody's the same and that life shapes us in different ways, independently of our cognitive functions. We have that initial package from one of the 16 types, and then we mold it with what we have. (Understand that I don't mean that an INTP could switch to ESFJ, that's impossible. You cannot change your type, because of functions.)

So to answer your question, I felt that way, but not anymore. I learned too much to still believe we are the stereotypes.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I've actually been more interested in finding similarities and differences in myself and others of the same type. I'm a bit old to be trying on a stereotype for size. I actually took the test 5+ years for the first time and didn't think about it again until June when I signed up here. It's an interesting theory.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
No. It's purely for self-awareness, as I want to know everything there is to know about myself.

I find it ridiculous that someone after discovering their type would then conform to what the type is "supposed" to be in order to be "more" that type.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Not at all, I use it to focus on my natural strengths and try to do something about my natural weaknesses :p

what would a stereotypical ENFP guy look like anyway? Brendon Urie? :L

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.