Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quotes haunting you? Phrases repeating in your mind? Words that confused you or troubled you or stood out for some reason?

Something said by a friend or family member. Read in a book or online, in a poem or play. Heard during a movie or show. The wise words of a teacher or an idol, a visiting speaker or stranger. Advice from a coworker. The threats of a rival. An incessant thought. Something you said or wrote. Lyrics from a song. The mad utterings of an imaginary friend or a character from a dream.

Haven't you wished someone understood your torment? That another were forced to suffer the same repetitive, over-pondered words? :proud:

Here is your opportunity!

Sick your literary ghosts on your fellow INFPs!

brain_ghosts_by_emoot-d32zacx-1.jpg
(disclaimer: exact wording unnecessary)

·
Premium Member
15,291 Posts
:happy: My haunting quotes!:

"There are an infinite number of universes existing side by side and through which our consciousnesses constantly pass. In these universes, all possibilities exist. You are alive in some, long dead in others, and never existed in still others. Many of our "ghosts" could indeed be visions of people going about their business in a parallel universe or another time -- or both." - Paul F. Eno, in Faces at the Window

"I’m here because you believe I’m here. Keep on believing and I’ll always be real to you." - Capt. Gregg in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, by Philip Dunne and Joseph L. Mankiewicz

"Stones fall onto your kitchen floor, as if they had come through the ceiling. Somebody, or something, starts banging on the wall. Things disappear, and reappear somewhere else. Before long, you realize it can't be an earthquake, or Concorde, or mice. It must be something else - something entirely inexplicable and very frightening indeed."
Guy Lyon Playfair (This House is Haunted - An Investigation of the Enfield Poltergeist, 1980)

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
People tend to think I'm very open about my thoughts, when the reality is I'm not, at least not on anything that matters.
One quote that stuck out to me was a girl referencing 2 different guys that were best friends.

"It is you and my husband that are of the perfect match,
one holds true thought in brooding silence,
the other in boastful jest meant to hold all at fair distance."

---------
Friend to me>
"Everyone is terrified of disappointing you. You put so much faith in people, and see "potential" in them that they can't even see in themselves. When something goes wrong, you'll always take the blame, but the problem is... people care about you too and they don't want you to put everything on your shoulders. In some ways, you're one of the best people to know, but in other cases... you're the worst."

---------
Happy-go-lucky friend that has some skip to her step>>>
Me> Why are you so happy? :)
Her> Why shouldn't I be?

So simple, yet.. bam.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have two in my signature...

This first is a new one and it directly addresses something that I have been fighting with internally. On the one hand, I am always treating and medicating people who suffer from delusions... on the other I harbor some myself as do most people. So what is right, what is wrong, am I following my values or am I betraying them daily?

"The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight." - Joseph Campbell

The second, while not so profound, truly makes me shiver every time I honestly think about it. What is love if not the ability and desire to put your own concerns and doubts and worries and fears aside for the sake of another?

Some things are worth getting your heart broken for. - Sarah Jane Smith

The last was said to me by a friend several years ago in regards to my group of friends from high school when I asked about how everyone was doing since I had been in military training for about seven months. This is a paraphrasing of several minutes of conversation.

"You were the glue that held us together even if you felt like an outsider the last two years. Without you, we fell apart within weeks, despite the fact that nothing else changed. We were all still here, but you were gone and we just lost touch even though we tried. I know that even now you don't believe me, but faerie, you hold people together even if they're not meant to be together, and you do it without even trying or realizing you are doing it."

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
"The goal is important only as an idea; the essential thing is the opus which leads to the goal: that is the goal of a lifetime."

"To have something you've never had - You must do something that you have never done"

“Living in essence becomes a matter of transcending our ego and in so doing, of discovering and developing our truest self. The search for essence or self-transcendence is not an escape from life but the reverse: a commitment on our most profound level of consciousness to participate in our own creation. ”

"You have to ask the right questions.
Like what?
Has anything you've done made your life better?"

"The individual may strive after perfection but must suffer from the opposite of his intentions for the sake of his completeness"

"There are at least two kinds of cowards. One kind always lives with himself, afraid to face the world. The other kind lives with the world, afraid to face himself".

"And remember, no matter where you go, there you are".

·
Registered
419 Posts
Right after my breakup and we we still living together I had this in my head all of the time: "I am Jack's broken heart" (I had no idea why it was in my head or where it was from). I finally googled it because it was driving me crazy. It was from Fight Club which I had not seen in several years. Now whenever I am really sad about something that is the first thing I think: "I am Jack's broken heart" over and over again. The mind is a strange thing.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust." - The Waste Land: The Burial of the Dead

"For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate." - The Stranger

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
"You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists." -Bush

Seriously though, I remember watching that when I was like 8 and just wondering what was going to happen, for some reason that affected me more so than watching the actual towers fall. I think it was the first big realization I had about just the world and how things get twisted and just war and idk, but at 8 or 9 hearing that quote kind of gave me a revelation of sorts.

edit: I think it gave me a revelation about the nature of humans in general.

·
Registered
462 Posts
"Remember friends, as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I. As I am now, soon you must be, prepare for death and follow me."

-Tombstone inscription

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
"Is it even possible for someone like you to have passion?"
That came from someone I thought understood me. Clearly she didn't. I should have seen that as a warning sign, in retrospect.
This is what she said later:
"Chelle you drive people to do things to you. I think you secretly want them to."

My mom:
"I love you, but I don't like you."
That defined our relationship growing up, pretty much.

"You're not your feelings."
-Ex bf.

"Without the bad experiences, we wouldn't be able to truly appreciate the good ones."
-A random myspace friend

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
"The government is corrupt
And we're on so many drugs
With the radio on and the curtains drawn

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
And the machine is bleeding to death"
-excerpt from GY!BE's Dead Flag Blues Intro

"Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death." (I know it's fiction, but it is relatable)
- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 2

"Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act."
-Leonard Cohen

"At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet."
-Plato

Hey nice idea @Belua, no one else thought of that :)
Stamp of approval for originality :D

Hope you've taken a lesson from each of those quotes
Because they're the ones that give you your experience points to level up :D
We don't wanna miss out on life's experience points now do we? ;P

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
“Don't you dare tell me nothing matters. Everything matters. Every fucking drop of rain, every ray of sunlight, every wisp of cloud matters and they matter because I can see them and if I can see them then they can see me and I know that there's an entire world that cares out there, hiding behind a world that doesn't, afraid to show who it really is and with or without you, I will drag that world out of the dirt and the blood and the muck until we live in it. Until we all live in it.” - I Wrote This For You (I sincerely recommend this site to all of you... It changed my life)

“so yes, we could kiss. I could kiss you and you could kiss me. There's no science, plane ticket or clock stopping us. But if we kiss, it will end the world. And I've ended the world before. No one survived. Least of all me.” -iwrotethisforyou

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." -Chuck Palahniuk

"The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open." -Chuck Palahniuk

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

"What is a wolf truly worth without its fangs, who's hunted down by children with sticks and crooked blades, and turned into a story, and a token for the few that it slayed before it lost the only weapons that it knew?" -Jamie's Elsewhere - Wolves

“I honestly couldn't care less if you like the same bands or you've read the same books. Tell me one original thing, tell me one true, real thing that brings me to my fucking knees that I've never heard before and I'm yours.” -iwrotethisforyou

" "I love you" just doesn't seem like enough anymore," -the first and only person I ever loved

1 - 20 of 91 Posts