Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even the smallest thing I do has at least one, usually many reasons for it. Ex. Rinsing veggies with hot water. Reasons: Things dissolve more in hot water, any harmful bacteria that do not live will in hot water will die. This also applies to washing hands. I also rub the veggies until they are not slippery anymore - hence the saying "squeaky clean" AND I cover every inch of the veggie!

I don't usually voice these reasons. Why? THERE ARE TOO MANY! Most of them I have set on autopilot in my mind. They are just habit now. I would have to rethink through the logic and reasoning to remember why. Washing veggies is a simple example, many are extremely intricate and inter related all the way down to the meaning of life. Actually if I felt like it, I could definitely link washing veggies the way I do and the meaning of life.

Do you have a reason for everything? Got any examples you would like to share?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
as an ENFJ, i have to know the reason for everything, its in my nature, i want to know everything.

i think im a pro at snapple knowledge lol.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'm sure everyone has a reason for every single thing they do, even if the reason is subconscious. Otherwise why would you do it?

Reactions: balderdash

·
Registered
89 Posts
^ Agree with Midnight Runner

I definitely do things purposefully and have reasons to backup my actions. Can't think of any examples right now besides washing my hands but I'm kind of slightly ocd about that... I think logic just has to do a lot with INFJ's in general.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Pretty sure it has to do with our super-analytical nature

We look at a situation and try to come up with the most efficient way of getting the job done

For example:

I am waiting at the bus station. It is currently 90 degrees outside. The bus comes twice; at quarter to the hour, and on the hour.

Now, the bus doesn't go near my house until after it comes back to the bus stop on the hour. I can catch the bus at quarter to the hour, but it is not necessary to do so.

I get on the bus early anyway. Why? The bus has air conditioning. Like eff am I going to stand there and sweat my arse off.

I got made fun of for that yesterday, and when I tried to explain myself, I got the "you're nutty" look

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty sure it has to do with our super-analytical nature

We look at a situation and try to come up with the most efficient way of getting the job done

For example:

I am waiting at the bus station. It is currently 90 degrees outside. The bus comes twice; at quarter to the hour, and on the hour.

Now, the bus doesn't go near my house until after it comes back to the bus stop on the hour. I can catch the bus at quarter to the hour, but it is not necessary to do so.

I get on the bus early anyway. Why? The bus has air conditioning. Like eff am I going to stand there and sweat my arse off.

I got made fun of for that yesterday, and when I tried to explain myself, I got the "you're nutty" look
Absoluely 100% This is what I was getting at. I do this with everything!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
it might just be human nature itself! hmmmm time for a study!
I think it is. As humans, our brains are constantly trying to attach a meaning to pretty much everything. So it makes sense that whenever we do something, we'd have a reason for it. Even if we didn't have much of a reason before we did it, our brains would still try to attach some meaning to it anyway.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it is. As humans, our brains are constantly trying to attach a meaning to pretty much everything. So it makes sense that whenever we do something, we'd have a reason for it. Even if we didn't have much of a reason before we did it, our brains would still try to attach some meaning to it anyway.
Isn't that the purpose of a brain? :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh yeah. I have a reason for everything, and I can almost find a reason for everything.

My ex had a problem with me because she could never prove me wrong. She would say things like, "I hate how you are always right. You have a reason for everything. I just want to beat you one time!"

But I always responded with, "I'm just saying how I feel :wink:"

·
Registered
428 Posts
Even the smallest thing I do has at least one, usually many reasons for it. Ex. Rinsing veggies with hot water. Reasons: Things dissolve more in hot water, any harmful bacteria that do not live will in hot water will die. This also applies to washing hands. I also rub the veggies until they are not slippery anymore - hence the saying "squeaky clean" AND I cover every inch of the veggie!

I don't usually voice these reasons. Why? THERE ARE TOO MANY! Most of them I have set on autopilot in my mind. They are just habit now. I would have to rethink through the logic and reasoning to remember why. Washing veggies is a simple example, many are extremely intricate and inter related all the way down to the meaning of life. Actually if I felt like it, I could definitely link washing veggies the way I do and the meaning of life.

Do you have a reason for everything? Got any examples you would like to share?

Yeap, I have a reason for everything I do too so that I have some structure in my life. I think it's because I read somewhere that INFJs are system builders and so they like to find the best ways to do things. But generally I just like to keep my reasons simple and minimal; as long as it is effective and efficient I'm fine with doing something in some way.

I think that knowing the reason for doing something helps you to stay focus and see it through. Whether it is washing veggies in hot water to kill harmful bacteria (at least I know your hand washed veggies are safe to eat) or endruing great pain and hardship till the very end for the sake of something or someone.

On a larger scale, it is important to know why you are here, what you are living for, and what you hope to accomplish. This helps you to focus all your energies on what is important to you. "He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how." -Nietzsche

Reactions: Rube

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just read Blink by Malcom Gladwell and it explained that humans try to put meaning on everything and sometimes there are no reasons(the gut feelings for instant) So yes I do try to put meaning on things but I know somethings are just unexplainable

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
That must be my problem then, I don't have a why.
Reminds me of my roommate (ENFP)

Watching him play this first person shooter game, I realized he uses the most useless guns in the worst situations

When I tell him he should probably use something else, he just shrugs it off

He pretty much never has a valid reason for anything he does

Feel better? ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts