Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Science fiction is my favorite fiction genre, but I can almost never find a contemporary sci-fi novel that I like, and one of the main reasons is that such novels are WAY too focused on social shit. Many of them seem to be nothing but dramas that just happen to be set in the future and/or in outer space.

In sci-fi, I like to read about machines, instruments, foreign planets/environments, physics, chemistry, action, adventure, etc. Not stories about the social realm (although it can be interesting to a limited extent in the context of alien races/cultures).

All these stories that are about people and their relationships (including politics) and crap is not science fiction in my opinion. I prefer really old or non-mainstream sci-fi novels because they are not like this. This kind of story is a relatively new development in the genre.

I'm sure someone will have the opinion that this development does not represent the "destruction" of sci-fi simply because she likes these kinds of novels. I would ask such a person whether these dramas are actually science fiction novels per se. I guess one could argue that they are if one interprets "science" broadly, to include social science, but whether that interpretation is consistent with the history of science fiction is another story). Compare some of these sprawling space operas that have a zillion characters to the novels of H.G. Wells, for example.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
That's hilarious since The Last Man is considered one of the first modern science fiction novels, along with Frankenstein which is kind of a horror/sci-fi blend, and they were both written by Mary Shelley, a woman in the 19th century who was the daughter of two revolutionary philosophers and was most likely an INFJ.

Reactions: Abbaladon Arc V

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
""feeler destroy science fiction""

Bruh.

That don't even have sens.

Oh my god.

Kill me somebody kill me

If feeler create , there is also Thinker do , the F dont kill T guys lol

Hey men are YOU A FUCKING T DOING AT FICTION ? YEAH ? OH GOD JUST KILL KIM OH NO THATS IMPOSSIBLE

""In sci-fi, I like to read about machines, instruments, foreign planets/environments, physics, chemistry, action, adventure, etc. Not stories about the social realm (although it can be interesting to a limited extent in the context of alien races/cultures).""

Fiction always was about feeling at some part because that create an realism because that the point we are connected to people from another dimension by compassion

Even HP lovecraft INTP do this play with fear. Steampunk play with fascinating , Life is strange play with love , and you play with a lack of brain

·
Banned
1,343 Posts

·
exploring space
10,533 Posts
That's a bit strange to me because from what I can tell many big sci-fi writers (like Philip K. Dick, maybe Frank Herbert imo) were feelers but also the social part of science fiction was always the most developed one since it was the whole point to transfer the reader to how society could be in a future and explore some of those potentialities. Also I think Ursula Le Guin was a thinker and her novels were focused on politics/social science. IDK what kind of dramas you're talking about maybe you should be more specific and give examples

·
Registered
289 Posts
To me if it's all about machines, physics, chemistry and action, honestly it sounds boring because there wouldn't really be any motivations or thing that makes you see why people act the way they do. So it's kind of ridiculous to say Feelers do bad SF novels or movies, to me the crap nowadays in SF, is just because of PC social dynamics, or pandering to what some publishers think the masses want to read/see.

This Sunday I watched again the good old Blade Runner, damn that movie is great and that's because by the end you see the Replicants are not just brutal killing machines. You suddenly see their point of view and kind of feel sad and sorry for them, while many humans seem pretty cold and shitty, so then you get why Deckard escapes to try and protect Racheal because she's a Replicant.
Without this sociological and emotional part, the movie would really not be anything else than a basic action movie or detective plot, whithout much motivations to much anything, we are all human so our motivations can't just be devoid of Feelings.

Reactions: Lacy

·
Registered
ENTJ, 3w2 sx/sp, 387 Tritype
3,071 Posts

How this thread couldn't be more typistic? :D
Ditto! He also made up a completely fictitious situation in that one my thread to frame me as Fi user, because Fi or Feeler user = Bad.

"Feelers are 'useless' and destroy everything, thinker Master Race!" :eek:h:

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,040 Posts
If you're serious, you might not be looking in the right places. Make a list of your absolute favorite Scifi books, make an account on Goodreads and put them all on a shelf. Then, look for recommendations based on that shelf. You should get some pretty good ones; I have found their algorithms outstanding.

Also, if you're serious, there's something pretty wildly wrong with the premise of the title of this thread. Reading books about - basically - philosophical mechanicalism isn't exactly the epitome of "thinking type" either. Whether a book has a strong social structure or not is not going to be based on F vs T or any other thing like that.

I get that you probably are saying this because you prefer a certain kind of science fiction book and you are frustrated because you cannot find books in your niche, but blaming that on typology seems a bit ... irrational.

Think what you like. As someone who has a few intelligent close NF friends, I almost take offense to this thread on their behalf.

For what it's worth, I recommend "We".

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Visually descriptive science fiction was replaced with Visual media. Hence stories based on interaction between lifeforms have become the dominant form.
Plus our education levels allow us to pick thing apart!
Plus the Simpsons did it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts