Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which type am I?

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I don't believe I understand things if I don't understand them thoroughly. Even though I've read quite a lot about the different functions and what different types are like I can't seem to come to a conclusion. Some aspect always contradicts some other aspect. I feel like a need to be sure.

• I would need to write down which behaviors are associated with which function (and combination of functions).
  • After that I would measure which behaviors I do the most. Then I would choose four auxiliary functions.
  • Then I would need to order these somehow (by some kind of scale).
  • After that I would have to look at quotes from other people who supposedly have the same type and see if these statements resonate with me.
  • Then I would have to go on forums and see if other people with these traits seem similar to myself (provided they didn't mistype themselves).

In order to become convinced each step needs to match (at least somewhat). It is just a lot to do on your own and it is quite complicated, so your help will be greatly appreciated.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I want to do something I enjoy. I also want good close relationships with friends and maybe someone to share my life with.

What do I enjoy? It depends on when you ask me. But a lot of the time it is to excel at something I find interesting at the time. Right now it is school (engineering), but it has been music production, writing and meeting girls in the past. I always followed my current interest. Everyone else continued to college immediately, I waited a few years and traveled some. Always did my own thing and initially never thought I would go on to higher education (thought I would become some kind of author or entrepreneur lol).

Some periods of my life my interest turns towards my existence. I want to find out who I am and why am here and what I should do with my life. During these periods I might take on eastern beliefs becoming more caring towards strangers and less egocentric.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

When I quit my job as a salesman. At this period of my life I did get panic attacks. I clearly needed rest, so when I finally quit, it was truly liberating. I visited a psychiatrist and I shared all the problems I had with her and that made me feel so much stronger.

Other times can be when I have written some code that feel complete. Code that uses smart algorithms. I think algorithms can be beautiful and that beauty can make me feel satisfied.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

I'd like to say nothing. But in reality maybe when I am hurt by someone physically. I sometimes take pride in my work (something I try not to do) and then I can feel bad if someone points out flaws in my solution.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

It depends what kind of decision. If it is a movie I am going to see I might read some reviews. Look at the actors/director to see if this is something I could like.

If it is what to do, where to live, it tends to come naturally. I follow my interests.

In business it would be weighing pros and cons and then going with the best result.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I have had a tendency to have to grand ideas that are not possible to make within that time-frame. Someone might bring me back to earth. After that I want a step-by-step of what needs to be done, so I can get an overview. Then I want to execute those steps.

I want control but I realize other people have a lot of competence.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

It was when I lived abroad working as a teacher. Every weekend we went out to party. It was really fun because prior to this I had lived a very secluded life. Now I felt that I was developing my social skills every day and met lots of new people in a new environment.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

First of all I just start experiment to get a hang of how things work. As a programmer I might write some initial code. Then I write more code and continuously refine the old code so that it fits with the context of the new code. When all the parts works together and make sense I consider it finished and move on to something else.

If I really want to learn something and I might create my own "guide". In this guide I define concepts and describe step-by-step how different things work and how to do them. I try to write it in a simple (but accurate) way, like I was writing a textbook for a school. When I create these guides I usually feel really calm and don't stop until I have a clear understanding. This behavior makes me successful in school and whenever I want to find something I can just look at my guides instead of having to plow through the textbook again.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I don't think I am very organized. I don't really keep a good schedule. I might turn up to meetings the wrong time/day (note I am punctual it is just that I don't keep a schedule which leads me to sometimes make these kind of mistakes). I don't plan what I will do this summer. I don't plan vacations. But when I learn something, like I described above, I feel organized.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I try to understand the principles behind the idea. I want to break it down so that it makes sense. I think every complex thing is made up of fairly uncomplicated things working together.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

This is a Fe vs Fi question. I find it to be quite contradictory. One thing does not exclude the other. Of course I want people to do fine. One example, I wanted to introduce my "special" friend to this "special" group (replace special with nerdy). I did this and he still hangs out with them 8 years later. He would never have met them if I didn't make sure he was invited into the ventrilo channel. I did this because I cared for him.

If I see someone in pain on the street I will stop and make sure this person is okay. If not I will call an ambulance. I have done this twice when other people ignored them, both were old men.

Being myself and following what I believe is true is perhaps one of the most important things in my life. I always strive to be less concerned with what other people think of me. I always strive to gain a better understanding of myself.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I prefer one-on-one communication. And I don't think before I speak. I tend to speak while I think. When I am with my girlfriend (who is a really good listener) my mouth just express what my mind is thinking. I am almost not aware I am speaking and I just go on with whatever is in my head. Things that I am interested in and opinions I have about certain things. She chips in and does some talking now and then, but it is mostly me.

With other people, who are more out-going than me, I do most the listening and I am more aware of the situation. I consider myself to be quite a good conversationalist.

In situations with people I am not totally comfortable with, I try to find topics that we have in common. It might take some thinking before I find this topic and know what question to ask.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

When I first learned music production I just started. I didn't care if I was doing it the right way. I didn't care how melodies was supposed to sound, of how songs should be structured. I just started putting things together. It was only after a few months that I started reading guides and so forth.

So yes I have a tendency of doing things my own way first without following tutorials precisely. I experiment and create.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Right now, when I have a girlfriend, I would say no most of the time, especially if it was without any notice.
If I had a test, no. If I needed some time alone, no. But most of the time yes. I think that it is important to be social like that at least once a week.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

If I am taking a test, I almost always utilize the time perfectly.

If I miss the airplane (or something serious happens) I react with calm and tend to accept it quickly.

If I am in a stressful period I become less sensitive and sort of feel like a robot.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

When I was younger I used to be a lot more odd than I am now. I used raise my hand and ask unrelated questions to the teacher and some people would make fun of me because of this. Nowadays I don't do this and I only ever ask questions if I know it is a good question and I have some knowledge about the subject.

I dislike people who lacks acceptance of other people just because they are different.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I like to talk about subjects I've recently read about and that I am interested in. Like history, nature, technology, philosophy, politics, programming, movies, books.

I also like to talk about my personal journey and how I've developed into the person I am.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Maybe boring things like going to the grocery store. It takes me forever to collect all the items.

When I am in an intense period with lots of work I don't pay much attention to my home and my clothes.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I think my friends might perceive me as someone who takes school seriously. Someone who studies quite a lot. Someone who is thorough. Someone who has unique ideas about life and existence.

I don't really know what would be wrong about their perception. Can't come up with something.

They would never say that I was shallow and that I fabricate the truth.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I would go climbing because I really like that. Or maybe I would hike to some beautiful place. Perhaps alone, or with some close friend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay, so in order to help you out I will tell you about my two best friends: one is ESFP (I think) the other is INTP (I know).

With the INTP I drive the conversation (nowadays we speak mainly online since we live in different cities).
There is a lot of humor.
Usually I say a statement that has an ironic touch in it that he always picks up on. Then I continue on propagating for this standpoint to try to make it even funnier.
He also uses a lot of irony.
He is very open to my somewhat erratic behavior. And he is always fine with discussing what I want to discuss.

I don't know if my other best friend is ESFP. But he is definitely extroverted and he talks a lot about the feelings he has about his journey.
I do most of the listening but sometimes we talk about my journey as well. He is always up to something new and he has a way of telling stories that is really interesting and fun to listen to.
He is not a shallow person but very much a deep person. He likes to meditate, visiting new cultures and stuff like that. The conversations we have are never gloomy, there is always hope and ideas about what we are going to do in the future.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm torn between INTJ and ISTJ. There's definitely Te and Fi there, looking at how you work and respond to criticism. The style of your answers--bold, direct, clear--shows you're extraverting Te here.

#3 really solidifies that your inferior function is Ne or Se--that salesman role is very much what Pe doms like doing, and represents a big, big point of stress for Pe inferiors.

#16 also makes me feel that Pi is dominant--and makes me possibly see Ni>Si. #7 makes me feel that the inferior function really might be Se.

So how does INTJ feel?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm torn between INTJ and ISTJ. There's definitely Te and Fi there, looking at how you work and respond to criticism. The style of your answers--bold, direct, clear--shows you're extraverting Te here.

#3 really solidifies that your inferior function is Ne or Se--that salesman role is very much what Pe doms like doing, and represents a big, big point of stress for Pe inferiors.

#16 also makes me feel that Pi is dominant--and makes me possibly see Ni>Si. #7 makes me feel that the inferior function really might be Se.

So how does INTJ feel?

Te-Fi sounds reasonable, thanks.

Also, as someone with strong Ti you should know the difference.

I was a good salesman. I just worked too much and had other psychological problems that were bothering me. I also worked in sales were you actively seek out people by knocking on their doors and try to create a demand even if it is not there in the first place. That whole thing went against my principles and it can be very repetitive.

ISTJ and INTJ sounds reasonable. There is no chance that it might be ENFP? Or is it clear that it is Te>Fi and not Fi>Te?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quite a lot of Te and Fi, I'm inclined to think your Te is stronger than Fi, but I can't be sure. After your answer to question 12 I thought ENTJ. Mature ENTJ's are very focused on Fi and develop it. ESTJ makes more sense than ISTJ, but I think that's less likely to be honest.

I wouldn't have thought ENFP, but now that you mention it it could make sense, being an ENFP with a very developed Te. That's a bit awkward though, considering your answers, but possible.

Still ENTJ is more likely in my opinion, I might change it later if new relevant information will be provided.

It's a matter of whether Te>Fi or vice-versa. You should know better which one feels more natural for you to use. Can you tell us more about that? What types have you considered for yourself?

Perhaps I can help if you answer this question: What's your opinion on war and militaries?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Quite a lot of Te and Fi, I'm inclined to think your Te is stronger than Fi, but I can't be sure. After your answer to question 12 I thought ENTJ. Mature ENTJ's are very focused on Fi and develop it. ESTJ makes more sense than ISTJ, but I think that's less likely to be honest.

I wouldn't have thought ENFP, but now that you mention it it could make sense, being an ENFP with a very developed Te. That's a bit awkward though, considering your answers, but possible.

Still ENTJ is more likely in my opinion, I might change it later if new relevant information will be provided.

It's a matter of whether Te>Fi or vice-versa. You should know better which one feels more natural for you to use. Can you tell us more about that? What types have you considered for yourself?

Perhaps I can help if you answer this question: What's your opinion on war and militaries?
Maybe I was more INTJ/ENTJ when I was younger. I was very possessive of ideas and had very specific opinions of how I wanted them implemented. Most of the time I wanted them to change the world. I was kind of a megalomaniac.

Nowadays I am more cooperative and less tense I'd say. I only ever become tensed when it is something I have worked on intensely, like my code or some exam.

I am also a perfectionist who cares about details and logic.

But other than that I am a warm person who dislikes war and hope that humanity finds a way to come together. I am also comfortable with sharing my feelings to people in my surroundings and be vulnerable. I consider this to be a strength. I can even express my feelings through music and art. Perhaps this cannot be said of the thinking types?

I will look more into it, but I am glad I am finally narrowing it down!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am also comfortable with sharing my feelings to people in my surroundings and be vulnerable. I consider this to be a strength.
Is this true for you when you were a kid too, or its a thing you come to realize later in your life?

I can even express my feelings through music and art. Perhaps this cannot be said of the thinking types?
That's not true, most thinking types who value Fi are that way, INTJ's, ENTJ's can be sensitive too, despite being thinking types. I'm a thinking type and I am more sensitive and idealistic in Fi matters than alot of feelers I've met, so much I've been typed NF by some people at first glance. There are a lot of thinking types who don't give a damn about art and expressing themselves through it, but those who are more mature and seek to develop themselves can become very artistic in that sense, very sensitive, more idealistic, perfectionistic and so on.

You answered my question in a very Fi manner, which is confusing, if you're an ENTJ you're a very mature, developed one, or maybe it's vice-versa, Fi Ego with a very developed Te.

Maybe I was more INTJ/ENTJ when I was younger. I was very possessive of ideas and had very specific opinions of how I wanted them implemented. Most of the time I wanted them to change the world. I was kind of a megalomaniac.
This has a tiny, tiny Se streak, with Te which again suggests NT rather than NF, I may be wrong though.

At this point it would be helpful to determine whether you prefer Si or Se.
Do you pay attention to your bodily needs, temperature, comfort, physical states or do you ignore that?
Would you prefer a job that pays well but conditions are a bit harsh or not very comfortable or would you prefer a job with a comfortable environment even if it pays less money?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Is this true for you when you were a kid too, or its a thing you come to realize later in your life?
I always was a pretty "wise" kid, in that I could have insights about different behaviors that were causing me pain. At least my mother always told me I was wise.

Do you pay attention to your bodily needs, temperature, comfort, physical states or do you ignore that?
I'd rather be fit than not. Do I need regular exercise? I think everyone does. Do I regularly exercise? Some periods I do, some periods I don't. I played quite a lot of soccer growing up.

Do I pay attention to comfort? I'd say yes. I don't fall asleep immediately and I have trouble sleeping in weird positions or together with someone else. I need clothes that are comfortable. I can't handle too restrictive clothes, nor do I like clothes that are too bright and have lot of unnecessary text on them.

Would you prefer a job that pays well but conditions are a bit harsh or not very comfortable or would you prefer a job with a comfortable environment even if it pays less money?
Depends if it is long term och short term. In the short term I could live with the job that has harsh conditions (depends on what harsh conditions mean though), but in the long term I couldn't. I value happiness over money and I think that some of us hoard too many things for no reason other than to impress others.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Nowadays I am more cooperative and less tense I'd say. I only ever become tensed when it is something I have worked on intensely, like my code or some exam.

I am also a perfectionist who cares about details and logic.

But other than that I am a warm person who dislikes war and hope that humanity finds a way to come together. I am also comfortable with sharing my feelings to people in my surroundings and be vulnerable. I consider this to be a strength. I can even express my feelings through music and art. Perhaps this cannot be said of the thinking types?

I will look more into it, but I am glad I am finally narrowing it down!
Given the way you answered those questions I'd say ENTJ is less and less likely. You may be an ENFP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool! What about Ne/Ni? Do you notice any Ne? Wouldn't that be quite noticeable if I were ENFP?
Here's your Ne with Fi.
I am also comfortable with sharing my feelings to people in my surroundings and be vulnerable. I consider this to be a strength.
Ne likes to share it's thoughts or feelings, judgements. Just as an ENTP shares ideas made up with Ti, an ENFP shares ideas, judgements made up with Fi.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Which one applies to you, Judicious or Decisive?

Which one applies to you, Yielding or Obstinate?
Decisive and Obstinate.

But I've gone from obstinate to becoming more yielding, more accepting.
What resources really mean I am not quite sure of.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Decisive and Obstinate.

But I've gone from obstinate to becoming more yielding, more accepting.
What resources really mean I am not quite sure of.
I'm using Socionics when typing, then switch to MBTI. I'm not a fan of typing by Reinin Dichotomies, but I wanted to entertain that because at this point it's difficult to come to a conclusion about your type. Your answer distances us from the two types we considered, but that's not enough proof you can't be any of those types.

How do you go about when trying to help someone, imagine someone close is in a sad or crying about something, what do you do? How would you help the person, what do you think of, how would you act like?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Question, are you positive on extroversion?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My mother is very much Fi, noticeably warm person, open about how she feels.
My father is almost exclusively Te, cares by actions and by giving advice. The advice is mostly about what next step that needs to be taken.

I guess my base is Fi, but I very much like exercising my Te. But without nurturing the Fi I could not be happy.
So that must mean I am either INFP or ENFP, with ENFP being more likely.

I always liked expressing myself through Te though and I feel really comfortable when I am perfecting my computer code.

How do you go about when trying to help someone, imagine someone close is in a sad or crying about something, what do you do? How would you help the person, what do you think of, how would you act like?
It depends on what they are sad about. I might have trouble switching my emotions that fast. In that case I might feel a little uneasy because I don't know how to act. But I will listen, empathize and ask questions. I will not obstruct their unleash of emotions by giving advice, but rather wait for the person to find out for themselves what needs to be done.

If it is really serious I will care and empathize instantly I should say.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Question, are you positive on extroversion?
Initially I am cautious and quiet, but after a little while you will hear more from me. I don't mind sharing my feelings and thoughts to people.

But I do enjoy spending time alone and a lot of people might think I am an introvert because of that.

So maybe ambivert would be the best fit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My mother is very much Fi, noticeably warm person, open about how she feels.
My father is almost exclusively Te, cares by actions and by giving advice. The advice is mostly about what next step that needs to be taken.

I guess my base is Fi, but I very much like exercising my Te. But without nurturing the Fi I could not be happy.
So that must mean I am either INFP or ENFP, with ENFP being more likely.

I always liked expressing myself through Te though and I feel really comfortable when I am perfecting my computer code.

It depends on what they are sad about. I might have trouble switching my emotions that fast. In that case I might feel a little uneasy because I don't know how to act. But I will listen, empathize and ask questions. I will not obstruct their unleash of emotions by giving advice, but rather wait for the person to find out for themselves what needs to be done.

If it is really serious I will care and empathize instantly I should say.
Finally something enlightening. The way you answered to that last question says alot. Fi definitely much more developed than Te. It's between ESFP and ENFP, and I can't see you as an Se dom. You're an ENFP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts