Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since being a diagnosed "blight of society" I've been looking up information on my 'illness'

I am a sociopath, or so I've been told. Reading up on it, I can definitely agree with most of it.

But do you think that a sociopath can be a good person? I made this list of traits from a site I found online. These are the ones I agree with:

-Glibness and Superficial Charm
-Manipulative and Conning
-Grandiose Sense of Self
-Pathological Lying
-Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt (depending on the situation)
-Incapacity for Love
-Need for Stimulation
-Irresponsibility/Unreliability
-Callousness/Lack of Empathy (Unless I'm trying to be empathetic)
-Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle (But I've since worked harder to fix this)

And a list of ones I don't:

-Shallow Emotions (The only 'feeling' I get is anger, and that is definitely not shallow)
-Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency (I was a quiet kid; didn't give myself enough chances for trouble)
-Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity (ew)
-Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility (Smoking weed is as illegal as I get)

So, can you relate to a sociopath? What type do you think would most likely exhibit this behaviour?

[/Launching in 3... 2... 1... ]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I already diagnosed you as having Schizoid personality disorder on another thread :S go look it up...I have so many stuff to say about this cause I have a very close friend with it, just ask if you wish....and stop thinking you're a sociopath, if you were you wouldn't tell people here about it, you would've kept it all to yourself, so your manipulation would be better when the time will come...this proves you're not!
So many things you've just mentioned are signs of that disorder....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already diagnosed you as having Schizoid personality disorder on another thread :S go look it up...I have so many stuff to say about this cause I have a very close friend with it, just ask if you wish....and stop thinking you're a sociopath, if you were you wouldn't tell people here about it, you would've kept it all to yourself, so your manipulation would be better when the time will come...this proves you're not!
So many things you've just mentioned are signs of that disorder....
I talk about it because I want input. I thrive on input in order to know how the outside world sees my predicament

Besides, you're just a bunch of people in front of computers sitting at god-knows-where. How am I going to manipulate any of you to do anything useful for me?

I personally see it as a tool I can use. I work in a call centre, so it really annoys pissy customers when I continuously seem to genuinely want to help them

And I looked up Schizoid personality disorder. Looks about right, but not as close as Sociopathy

Silly human :p

·
Banned
588 Posts
Hi Zomboy, people tell me all the time that I am a sociopath. Before I went to college I was really quiet and no one ever talked to me, and since I've dropped out, I've become more extraverted, but it's become more obvious that I am intelligent yet nonsocial. It's kind of unusual, outside of a lot of people's experience. Even creepier is when you have some idea of people's motivations and whatnot, but don't seem to want to be overly-involved in their lives... this freaks people out a lot. In my experience.

There are certain situations, IMO, where guilt is not required, especially when the people involved are douchebags. If I really thought about it, I probably spend a lot of time feeling bad about things. But, running through all the feelings is so taxing... it's better to skip the self-flagellation for the shit that's not worth it.

-Incapacity for Love
I go through periods where I feel completely emotionally drained, and I am unable to feel anything for anyone, just reacting the best I can. What is it for you?

I personally see it as a tool I can use. I work in a call centre, so it really annoys pissy customers when I continuously seem to genuinely want to help them
This is going to be my next job. I'm serious, working with people one-on-one, limited interaction, for reals my friend. People make me so tired.

In conclusion, if you are worried about a "sociopath being a good person", you cannot be a very good sociopath. It seems that you care, if just a little bit. I feel as if, to be evil, you must have some end in mind. What do you stand to gain by being manipulative, having shallow emotions, and living a parasitic lifestyle?

I wonder why you cite that you lack empathy.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What I noticed is there can be differences or degrees to what you've listed, but what they have in common is a sense of entitlement to whatever they want, whether it's a thing or attention or to be right, to get revenge.. and they can never understand the other side of it, or put themselves in someone else's shoes. Maybe they will seem to be convinced for the better one moment and in a few hours or even minutes already have forgotten and are getting aggravated by the same thing again. And this is so serious that you can risk your life if you go against them. They just never stop.

I would say the ones I met were ESxP (function-wise seems to be obvious: very much in the present, want instant gratification, impulsive)
and one J

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Zomboy, people tell me all the time that I am a sociopath. Before I went to college I was really quiet and no one ever talked to me, and since I've dropped out, I've become more extraverted, but it's become more obvious that I am intelligent yet nonsocial. It's kind of unusual, outside of a lot of people's experience. Even creepier is when you have some idea of people's motivations and whatnot, but don't seem to want to be overly-involved in their lives... this freaks people out a lot. In my experience.
Yeah, people think I'm smart, but they also think I'm a bit 'special'

For some reason, all the news in my social clique is fed to me through MSN. I've never made it seem like I care, but that always ask me for advice on things

I don't know why they listen though. I tend to be rather blunt, maybe that's what they need to hear?

There are certain situations, IMO, where guilt is not required, especially when the people involved are douchebags. If I really thought about it, I probably spend a lot of time feeling bad about things. But, running through all the feelings is so taxing... it's better to skip the self-flagellation for the shit that's not worth it.
This has come into use recently at my job. When I get an angry customer I can instantly go into robot-mode. I literally try to seem as robotic and nice as possible, until they get confused/frustrated and hang up. ;)

I go through periods where I feel completely emotionally drained, and I am unable to feel anything for anyone, just reacting the best I can. What is it for you?
Feeling that way right now. Arrived home from job two hours ago, and still tired. Doing tech support (with idiots, usually) is mentally stimulating yet extremely exhausting... :/

This is going to be my next job. I'm serious, working with people one-on-one, limited interaction, for reals my friend. People make me so tired.
Take coffee over energy drinks. It's healthier. I think.

In conclusion, if you are worried about a "sociopath being a good person", you cannot be a very good sociopath. It seems that you care, if just a little bit. I feel as if, to be evil, you must have some end in mind. What do you stand to gain by being manipulative, having shallow emotions, and living a parasitic lifestyle?
To briefly explain my existence:
I watched lots of movies
Then I watched lots of cartoons
Then I played lots of video games
Then I watched lots of anime
Then I got into horror flicks
Then I got into animated 3D movies

Each and every day I play out a character that is outside myself. I use this character to entertain my friends. My idea of friends is "people you respect greatly". I respect them because the things they say and do bring life into what little is really here. When I am alone, I am one. When I am with friends, I am many. When I am in a crowd, I am nowhere to be seen. :)

(I only usually have one 'best friend'. I treat them differently than I do regular friends. For instance, my current 'best friend' is an ENTP and, as such, we have a 'friendly rivalry' :p)

Also, I am no longer a leech. I do my best to provide for myself. Sometimes though, my roommate needs to help me out. But it happens to him, too. As for being manipulative... Well, yes. When I am out with my friends and they are trying to come up with a plan for the day, I will take the ideas and force them into logical function... And often throw something I want to do in, of course

I wonder why you cite that you lack empathy.
I lack empathy because when the time calls for it, I often have nothing to say. In the times when I'm needed the most, all I can do is offer my body, as if to repent for your sins

Or at least I would, if some dude didn't steal my idea back in 30 AD

·
Banned
588 Posts
For some reason, all the news in my social clique is fed to me through MSN. I've never made it seem like I care, but that always ask me for advice on things
I lack empathy because when the time calls for it, I often have nothing to say. In the times when I'm needed the most, all I can do is offer my body, as if to repent for your sins
These two parts kind of stuck out to me after I read your post. I don't know if you are exhibiting empathy when you are solving other people's problems on MSN, because I don't know what kind of problems they are or what kind of advice you are giving them, but my guess would be that in general you would have to take the other person's view into account in order to give an informed opinion. However, I am not there, so it's hard for me to say.

It seems then that you are dealing with a problem of a) social inhibition, or b) delayed processing time.

Usually when I have conversations with people where I give advice, I don't come up with new ideas on the spot, it's usually stuff I've already decided on before. I don't know what your process for doing that sort of thing is. But for me at least it is hard to come up with the best solution, or even to see most clearly what is happening until I've had a while to think about it. Which is logical, I suppose. Even writing this is way more coherent and thoughtful than a conversation I would be having in person.

I watched lots of movies
into what little is really here.
So basically life is really boring and you indulge in fantasy to make it more interesting. Slash enhance it.

I'm a fan of ridiculous conversations. Inappropriate subject matter, unexpected tangents, rude interruptions. It entertains me. Most people think I'm nuts when I really start going, gotta be careful with who is around to listen in case they get the wrong idea. Yeah, yeah, I wish I didn't have to care, but I do.

When I am with friends, I am many.
I've never been able to do that with more than one person at once. Like, I can change my behavior to fit one single person, and maybe balance two at a time, maybe, but when it gets to a lot of people who all know a different side of me, that's when my head starts spinning.

Doesn't always happen. Freaky when it does though. Not a big fan of when my different worlds start to mix.

This has come into use recently at my job. When I get an angry customer I can instantly go into robot-mode. I literally try to seem as robotic and nice as possible, until they get confused/frustrated and hang up. ;)
I'm sure their anger has nothing to do with you anyway, it's probably just an issue with the product, right?

Take coffee over energy drinks. It's healthier. I think.
And cheaper lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wanted to write this before, but it's so long to describe.........anyway maybe this would make you feel less of psycho, cause having schizoid personality disorder is so much better than being a sociopath...............

My friend lies her way all the time, it's her defense mechanism. It's the way she makes people to love her, without completely giving herself away.

She loves the same activities as you do, meaning activities that are done alone...

She used to think that the fact that she has no need for intimacy is like having super powers, cause she's above the human needs. Now she feels like she's missing out on experiences cause she always said no to everything...

Narcissism is always diagnosed with schizoid personality, even if the person doesn't have that classical characteristics of a narcissist. She so doesn't have any of the things that relate to a narcissist, but she was still diagnosed this way...

She can't fall in love, she gets obsessed about new people, but it's superficial, and doesn't have any romantic aspect to it. She prefers having conversations on msn rather than meeting up in person. She doesn't want to meet with them at all, so there would be no chance of someone trying any physical contact.

She loves to talk on msn the most, after that is phone and last is face to face. She's doing her best to meet up with people face to face, cause she realizes that it pushes them away from her, so it's sort of a scarifies for her.

She told me she's acting like people she saw on tv. I think it's a common thing. I do that too, I play parts a lot, manly cause I think the way I present myself to others is boring. It always feels like it's a part of me that I present, only with a different attitude. I also do that cause I'm a tactless person, and this way I see boundaries better.

I noticed that she can mainly identify with shallow problems, that she takes out of proportions, rather than fundamental ones. That is another schizoid personality thing, feeling indifferent to intimacy issue, and having extreme sensitivity on other things.

Above all of that, she's very kind and considerate, She's doing a lot of self scarifies when she feels like someone is dependent on her. She can't help it if someone is telling her that they're helpless, she got to do something about it, something practical. A lot of the time she doesn't have a clue what's going on with me...and when I tell her, it's still hard for her to know what it feels like...but I know she cares and that's what matters to me.

I know it's an international forum, but you could meet someone near, and that's already an opportunity to use someone...like that never happened before...

I was talking to someone who was doing criminal stuff as a young teenager. Even though his great personal charm, his many manipulations are lame, they're totally obvious...and a sociopath manipulations are much more sophisticated than that, I know this cause I met 2 of them :S and it's a whole other thing. He said that he only regrets 2 things in his whole life. . I don't think he's a sociopath either...he's just another narcissist...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Live as the way you see fit. Don't buy into the labels that people throw at you. To a certain extent many people can have one or more symptoms of what you've described to a certain degree.

Once you accept their labels you begin to buy into them and you slip into the role and it only further validates their suspicions.

If your weird then be weird by all means. Don't let society dictate what you can or cannot feel, do...etc.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Live as the way you see fit. Don't buy into the labels that people throw at you. To a certain extent many people can have one or more symptoms of what you've described to a certain degree.

Once you accept their labels you begin to buy into them and you slip into the role and it only further validates their suspicions.

If your weird then be weird by all means. Don't let society dictate what you can or cannot feel, do...etc.
This is what I'm told all the time from people who don't seem to understand. I will bring up an earlier quote:

I watched lots of movies
Now, the meaning: I have effectively created personas throughout my entire life. There is nothing else here. Nothing to be true to. Think of me as a robot in human skin. I understand the logic of caring-- I'm just not affected by it.

And it's just that-- I'm moved autonomously through my environment like an animal. Sure, external stressors get me frustrated every now and again, but I'm fine after I give myself time to cool off.

I try my best to curve my 'tendencies' toward the better, but sometimes my roommate just doesn't understand me. He wonders why I prefer such simple things, and get so irritated when my territory is 'violated'. But I take a deep breath and just try to explain myself over and over again.

If I'm lucky he'll get it one of these times...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hmm. this is interesting. Zomboy, have you experienced any extreme changes in your life? such as a death in the family? moving away from home (far enough not to be in close prox. of loved ones)? or any other significant change that brutally tested the strength of "the self"?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm. this is interesting. Zomboy, have you experienced any extreme changes in your life? such as a death in the family? moving away from home (far enough not to be in close prox. of loved ones)? or any other significant change that brutally tested the strength of "the self"?
Well, since you asked:

-Physically/verbally abused since elementary school by friends/schoolmates/faculty alike (I kept correcting my teachers' spelling errors)
-Physically/verbally abused by my father and mother
-Physically abused by my mum's boyfriend

After all that ended, this happened:

-Grandfather died
-Grandma began depending on me for emotional support
-Mum started doing coke again
-Mum started living with her dealer
-Ostracized my mum from my life

Also, I will add that for the past year or so I haven't been in any stable living situation, until last December, when I moved in here. I'm moving out again at the end of the year. Before that I just bounced around between my parents' places

Don't know if that counts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wanted to write this before, but it's so long to describe.........anyway maybe this would make you feel less of psycho, cause having schizoid personality disorder is so much better than being a sociopath...............

My friend lies her way all the time, it's her defense mechanism. It's the way she makes people to love her, without completely giving herself away.

She loves the same activities as you do, meaning activities that are done alone...

She used to think that the fact that she has no need for intimacy is like having super powers, cause she's above the human needs. Now she feels like she's missing out on experiences cause she always said no to everything...

Narcissism is always diagnosed with schizoid personality, even if the person doesn't have that classical characteristics of a narcissist. She so doesn't have any of the things that relate to a narcissist, but she was still diagnosed this way...

She can't fall in love, she gets obsessed about new people, but it's superficial, and doesn't have any romantic aspect to it. She prefers having conversations on msn rather than meeting up in person. She doesn't want to meet with them at all, so there would be no chance of someone trying any physical contact.

She loves to talk on msn the most, after that is phone and last is face to face. She's doing her best to meet up with people face to face, cause she realizes that it pushes them away from her, so it's sort of a scarifies for her.

She told me she's acting like people she saw on tv. I think it's a common thing. I do that too, I play parts a lot, manly cause I think the way I present myself to others is boring. It always feels like it's a part of me that I present, only with a different attitude. I also do that cause I'm a tactless person, and this way I see boundaries better.

I noticed that she can mainly identify with shallow problems, that she takes out of proportions, rather than fundamental ones. That is another schizoid personality thing, feeling indifferent to intimacy issue, and having extreme sensitivity on other things.

Above all of that, she's very kind and considerate, She's doing a lot of self scarifies when she feels like someone is dependent on her. She can't help it if someone is telling her that they're helpless, she got to do something about it, something practical. A lot of the time she doesn't have a clue what's going on with me...and when I tell her, it's still hard for her to know what it feels like...but I know she cares and that's what matters to me.

I know it's an international forum, but you could meet someone near, and that's already an opportunity to use someone...like that never happened before...

I was talking to someone who was doing criminal stuff as a young teenager. Even though his great personal charm, his many manipulations are lame, they're totally obvious...and a sociopath manipulations are much more sophisticated than that, I know this cause I met 2 of them :S and it's a whole other thing. He said that he only regrets 2 things in his whole life. . I don't think he's a sociopath either...he's just another narcissist...
I was so sleepy that it doesn't even make any sense....the she is referred to a friend who was diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder, and I wrote about her in another thread...and I got confused with it...I was saying there how robotic she is, and that I could only tell that by knowing her for years...

This whole playing parts from tv and stuff, is also a characteristic of schizoid personality, though my friends doesn't have it all the full, it's supposed to be like what you described..

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Since being a diagnosed "blight of society" I've been looking up information on my 'illness'

I am a sociopath, or so I've been told. Reading up on it, I can definitely agree with most of it.

But do you think that a sociopath can be a good person? I made this list of traits from a site I found online. These are the ones I agree with:

-Glibness and Superficial Charm
-Manipulative and Conning
-Grandiose Sense of Self
-Pathological Lying
-Incapacity for Love
-Need for Stimulation
-Irresponsibility/Unreliability
-Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle (But I've since worked harder to fix this)

And a list of ones I don't:

-Shallow Emotions (The only 'feeling' I get is anger, and that is definitely not shallow)
-Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency (I was a quiet kid; didn't give myself enough chances for trouble)
-Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity (ew)
-Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility (Smoking weed is as illegal as I get)

So, can you relate to a sociopath? What type do you think would most likely exhibit this behaviour?

[/Launching in 3... 2... 1... ]
i will say that having friends that love you no matter what makes this WAY a lot easier.
if they want it.
whatever they already got.
now thats what you need to sacrifice to find yourself in others and not have to feel like a dickhead all the time.

hope this makes sense dude!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was so sleepy that it doesn't even make any sense....the she is referred to a friend who was diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder, and I wrote about her in another thread...and I got confused with it...I was saying there how robotic she is, and that I could only tell that by knowing her for years...

This whole playing parts from tv and stuff, is also a characteristic of schizoid personality, though my friends doesn't have it all the full, it's supposed to be like what you described..
I've read up on it. It certainly sounds like we've hit the nail on the head

Luckily for me I got the social interaction I needed (sort of) to build a basis of a 'self'. I still feel wholly intangible inside, but I suppose that will never go away

I still look at it as more of an ability than a vice. Now that I can name it and identify my own needs, I can use it better. Thank you for your post and showing me this

·
Banned
588 Posts
To be a social chameleon...? People will never trust you.

There's a theory about that personality is entirely a social construct. So your feelings of "intangibility" inside could just be a product of greater self-awareness. Brought on by constant and significant life changes (causes you to see how fragile the structure of self is).

Just extrapolating here...

I try my best to curve my 'tendencies' toward the better, but sometimes my roommate just doesn't understand me. He wonders why I prefer such simple things, and get so irritated when my territory is 'violated'. But I take a deep breath and just try to explain myself over and over again.
You have an explanation for this?
I'm always like... well, you don't really need all of this.
I can't really measure how difficult my life has been compared to most people's, but I feel that I cannot expect a lot. And it surprises me when other people do.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be a social chameleon...? People will never trust you.
Haha, fine by me. I don't trust most people ;)

You have an explanation for this?
I'm always like... well, you don't really need all of this.
I can't really measure how difficult my life has been compared to most people's, but I feel that I cannot expect a lot. And it surprises me when other people do.
It's mostly a violation of space, considering he is my roommate. He's also an ENFP and bi (leaning towards men), so I purposely come off as somewhat cold to him sometimes, just so that he doesn't foster any feeling for me past friendship

If he weren't so touchy-feely about things, I may not be so strict on him

1 - 19 of 19 Posts