Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a child and teenager, were/are you very evidence-prone, logical, etc.? When did your INTJ tendecies start appearing? Related: When do you think type stops developing/solidifies? Childhood? Young adulthood?

·
Registered
979 Posts
my intj tendencies started when i emphatized an intj. the effect usually lasts from 5 to 30 minutes strongly, but i believe i learn something important from intj's: rationality in people sense. learning not to be overly accommodating.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe that just like IQ, the basic personality traits are genetically encoded. They
get refined with age but they never really change. The question is to which extent
you're going to push your limits and discover yourself and your abilities. This is where
social factors come into play. Will you get the right environment and encouragement?
And we are a rare breed. Hard to understand by others non INTJ.

My dad was a microbiologist and I believe my first toy was a microscope. I became
acquainted with my INTJ side very early in life. But I can see how someone could be
a late INTJ bloomer if he was never put in situations that favor curiosity and discovery.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I remember wanting to play chess with my step-dad when I was six. I always wanted psychological challenges. I never understood socializing either, not that I didn't get the point, i didn't figure out how to do it to make friends, instead I just came off as awkward.

·
Registered
122 Posts
More or less, as a kid I would always be reading or daydreaming and tended to go for solitude or to spend time with a handful of new friends. Also growing up I tended to favor interactions with adults rather than my "peers" and tended to play maverick since I never really got into most fads ie doing something I didn't care for just because everyone else was (and boy did that work out well).

I think as with a number of things it's something that you develop through childhood, whether or not it's entirely genetic is speculative, but I feel like a lot of this personality was just who I am. What does change, I think, is how an INTJ may take notice of how some of the "abrasive" habits they may have (ie stereotypical robot INTJ) are misinterpreted by others and can try to be more cognizant of when that is happening and can adjust their mannerisms to convey what the actually want. Also I think that as an INTJ has more life experience they have a more solid basis to identify their fundamental values around which Fi can develop.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
As a child and teenager, were/are you very evidence-prone, logical, etc.? When did your INTJ tendecies start appearing? Related: When do you think type stops developing/solidifies? Childhood? Young adulthood?
When I was a babe. My mother described me as creepy (which hurt).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Reactions: Delilah

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had an overactive Ni. Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes is a good example of that. I never came out of my imaginary world long enough for any Te-ness to activate.

Reactions: Delilah

·
Registered
600 Posts
My grandma recently told me that ever since I was kindergarten age (or younger, I don't quite remember), nothing escaped me. I know for certain that I've always been an Introvert and a Judger. I most likely have always been an iNtuiter as well, but that is more difficult to gauge. Much to my chagrin, I have not always been prone to Thinking. Even now, sometimes if I see someone crying on television or wherever, I'll start to tear up for no (conscious) reason. It's a bit frustrating honestly. But now that I'm nearing the end of puberty (I'm turning 20 in a few weeks), I can only hope that with the imminent decrease in hormones, my Feelings will settle as well.

I don't think there is or can be a set age range where people's types solidify for two reasons:
1. Literally every single human who has ever lived, is living now, and ever will live is different.
2. As long as we retain or mental facilities, we as individuals never stop growing/changing. While it isn't likely, one could technically live for 50 years as INFP while gradually turning into an INTP or vice versa or any other similar change. Or if one suffers a traumatic life event, they could instantly go from the life-of-the-party ENFP to the never-lets-anyone-in INFJ.

Unpredictability is the name of the game.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Always? No. There was a period of trying to figure out who I was where I tried different things. Some of them were a tad out of character.

·
Registered
946 Posts
From what my relatives have told me about how I acted as a child, I know I was inquisitive, easygoing, and generally inclined toward being happy. I asked a lot of questions, sometimes expressing strong/precocious opinions, and wasn't easily pushed around (except physically, as I was small for my age), but overall I was pretty joyful. It didn't look like the optimism of an extrovert; rather it was an inner peace, or faith in an internal picture of what the world was like.

In that sense, I didn't always act like an INTJ, but I don't think that's a trait which leaves us forever. I don't like the idea of an "inner child," but I have had experiences which allowed me to feel as I did when I was young: the world is good, and I'm free to play. Experiencing the real world often makes us pessimistic and cynical, but I think a pure experience of Ni is also one of beauty and naivete.

Maybe that's why we spend so much time in our heads. They're playgrounds.

Lol I was seriously thinking to myself "is no one going to point that out."
I think we just hoped that he'd lose interest if we ignored him. :laughing:

·
Registered
433 Posts
My mother hasn't really described how I was as a child, but then again she wasn't around much. I remember playing classical music and zoning out intensely into artwork. My sarcasm came out in my teen years, I also became a bit of a clown using sarcasm to attempt humor. I jump around from different social groups so I could study them.. I always tried to study bugs and other random things.. I guess my mom thought I was normal, she is ENTP. My older ESFP sister however was the weird one to both me and my mom, we described her as over emotional and sensitive.

i will ask my dad but I'm pretty certain his response will not be much help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My mom taught me chess and reading chapter books before Kindergarten. I was encouraged to explore the real world and my inner mind. I even told my parents I was 'being me' at a very young age. As the oldest I was the experiment and I had a ton of personal freedom. The only thing that saved me was my integrity and sense of honor/duty. Otherwise I would have been a criminal at a very young age.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,372 Posts
I only wear my INTJ badge on certain days. Last week I was ISFJ. I used to be a Taurus too but I changed to a Gemini to fuck with people.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think so. In my teen years I looked more like an INFJ or an INFP. Or rather, I acted like one, but my real personality was different. I didn't accept myself and I even prentended to act like a random ESFx or ISFx. It took years to understand who I really was and becoming self-confident like I am now.

Reactions: Rauder
1 - 18 of 18 Posts