Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent my first month on PerC hanging out on the INFJ forum. The INFJs were lovely, welcoming, and helpful, but I did not feel a connection with them for many reasons. I thought I was just a weird brand of INFJ because I am so sensitive and in touch with everything I am feeling. I realized I was mistyped about 50 posts later. I think there was a misunderstanding with how I perceived myself and who I really am. I was dishonest with myself. I hated that I felt like such a “delicate flower,” so I channeled that energy into “counseling” others and assumed I used Ni/Fe. After learning that I was an INFP, I feel a sense of relief, and I finally feel at home.

What have mistyped as? What are some factors that caused this? I’d like to hear about your journeys with MBTI.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My first experience with MBTI was my Senior year of High School. I was taking College Psychology and we were required to take a test to see what personality type we were. It typed me as an ENTP. My P/J results were nearly an equal split, but for a while I thought I was an ENTP. The further I looked into MBTI, I realized that my function stack and characteristics were more akin to that of an ENTJ. Some tests also try to type me as an introvert, but I just consider myself to be a reserved extravert.

I think the most common type of mistyping deals with P/J. A lot of people thinking perceiving = disorganized and J = organized, but that is not always necessarily true. I'm quite disorganized, but am very much a judger.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ahh yes I can relate as I rushed through the test about 5 years ago not really it to much thought or validity. A few things that become quite apparent is that INFPs seem to be a lot less organized on paper as well as a lot more imaginative. Even though the two spend a considerable amount of time in thier heads, what they do in there is quite opposite. The INFJ is also a lot better at taking the steps to get things done, where us INFPs are better at coming up with an entire idea. The INFP will also procrastinate to no avail. The INFJ however will actually chip away at a plan but usually can't see the end result as easy. I don't know if this makes any sense but welcome home!

·
Registered
252 Posts
How uncanny, I was just thinking about starting a thread like this!

I've heard about MBTI about 7-8 years ago, but never bothered with it because I just chalked it to being something like astrology. If you're a Virgo, then you're very analytical and organized, yada yada yada. I've dabbled in astrology before, (sun, moon, rising sign, etc) and it was fun, but very generic, and I didn't take it very seriously...like an eight ball, if you will. So I never bothered with MBTI.

It was about 6 weeks ago that I came across MBTI again by accident. So I took the test, just for kicks. I got ISFP, read the profile, and thought, oh neat! It said that I have reservations when meeting new people...check. It said that I had a creative flair (in a general sense)...ok, I guess that fits, check. It said I'm charming once people finally get past my first defense...ok...I'm sure the charm will kick in soon if only I would give folks a chance! Check...I hope. And it also said some other stuff that could possibly fit me, so I immediately resigned MBTI to...drumroll...astrology. Yep.

But I told my sister to take it too, just to see what the eight ball would say. And she got ISTJ. It was dead on for her. So I thought, hmmm, that's weird. Why did mine sound so generic? It wasn't like one of those broken-hearted friendship necklaces that became a perfect whole when pieced together.

I had her read the ISFP profile for me, and she also thought it could fit me. But nowhere near as accurate as her profile. "I'm really charming, you just wait and see!" I tried to convince her, feeling really pleased about that charming bit. She offered me a very sardonic look.

Two days later, she told me to take it again. She's usually a skeptic when it came to things like these, but found her ISTJ so eerily true that she insisted I take it again...there were 16 types, after all. She also impressed upon me that I should answer honestly, not what I think I ought to answer. So I did. And got INFP. "These things are bogus!" I said. "Now I'm something different. It's schizophrenic." I didn't even read the profile...whatever, I thought.

So she took it again, and got ISTJ. Then she made me take it again. INFP. "This thing is broken. Or maybe it's like the lottery system," I said.

"Well if that's the case, I hope I win the lottery twice!" she laughed. "Just read that INFP and see if it fits!" So I did.

And my jaw dropped.

Holy Mary, mother of Jesus, did I just read that this personality type often wrestles with good and evil internally within themselves frequently? That they even question the nature of mankind? That they appear cold, aloof and reserved, but is teeming with intense emotions within? That they often dream of stories of another world from another lifetime? That their heart literally feels like it's breaking when they witness pain in other people? That they're closet romantics? That while they love people, they get very burnt out after having been in a social gathering? That they value their space immensely? On and on and on, I read. And everything fit. My jigsaw puzzle is complete. And all the pieces fit perfectly.

"This is you," my sister said quietly. She knows I hate people digging around for my secret identity. But here I was, exposed by the Internet. The traitor! I think I liked it better when I was an ISFP, I thought defiantly.

But I knew without a doubt, that I was an INFP, down to the very last atom.

So it's been a month since, and occasionally I'll take the test again...and sometimes pull up INTP. Oh boy, I thought the first time I got INTP. Either this really is like an eight ball or a lottery, or I am really suffering from schizophrenia.

But when looking at the percentage breakdown, I can see why an INTP could crop up. The race between feeling/thinking was almost 50/50, with F winning by about 5-7%. I grew up with all T, I'm the the lone F wolf. So it only makes sense that I had somehow developed my T to a considerable amount.

At the end of day, when everything is stripped down to the bare bones, my heart is my central government. As for my developed T, I like to think of him as a trusted advisor.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Judgement- Such individual is more likely to develop obvious views, possibly more quickly, and has an increased belief in how things should be done, there's a right way and a wrong way, thus often resulting in the individual to pursue pre-determined opinions such as investing more effort in remaining organized because it is viewed as efficient/the right way.

Perceiving- Such individual takes on a more subtle/open mindset, possibly overall submissive/less confident behavior, limiting commitment to specific tasks which can be related to the expressions of "keeping the door open". Maintains an equivalent intensity in personal values but may have a decreased belief in how things should be done, multiple ways, thus often resulting in the individual to acquire a more observational approach.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Never mistyped. I've always tested as and accepted that I'm an INFP. It's pretty obvious and undeniable.

I disliked my type for years (mainly because I though it would impede me from being a productive and happy adult) but I've come to realize Fi/Ne can be a blessing that comes with a lot of perks. You just have to be mindful of your potential weaknesses and play up your strengths.

Reactions: heart of chambers

·
Registered
151 Posts
I sometimes mistype as either an ESFP or ISFP, and I have no clue why!

·
MOTM January 2013
10,631 Posts
I've mostly tested as fitting the INFP set, took the official test years ago and that was the first result I got. Typed as INFJ for a day for shits n giggles! :kitteh:

·
Premium Member
15,453 Posts
I never questioned my INFPness, yeah I took the official test, what I have trouble with is my enneagram. I am either a 9 who in no way *merges* & knows exactly what I want, or I am a very intellectually LAZY 5 who loves, and I do mean loves, boundaries and isolation. I hope that is my journey, to figure out my enneagram.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
In 1984 took an official, proctored assessment during counseling while a college student. I don't remember my result. It was either INTJ or INFJ. [As time goes on I am prone to think the latter, though for years I thought the former.] Whatever the result, it was of interest for a few days but soon forgotten.

After years of not considering MBTI, in 1994 I took another assessment (official, proctored) that yielded ENFJ. In looking back I believe that my answers favored extraversion because I was in the most positive state I have been in my life, and I was assessing that current behavior against what I had done before. So, today after having undertaken studying MBTI for over a year, I would interpret the results to probably have been INFJ. I did read the Introduction to Type book that I had received during my review, and thought about type for at least a month.

But the internet was still rather a fledgling thing at the time. There were no communities such as this, no You Tube. There was nothing that I was aware of for further study. It fell by the wayside for awhile.

In 2006 while unemployed and making use of the internet in finding a job, I ran across an online personality assessment based upon MBTI. It had a link on careerbuilder.com. I'm not sure if it was the Humanmetrics site or not. I did visit multiple sites including Kiersey.com. I believe that I tested on the various sites as INFJ. I know for certain that's the result I got on Keirsey. I took the assessments and read what was offered on the sites, but I didn't find any communities around MBTI and no You Tube. After I found a job I didn't keep up with anything further.

The reason I know what I got on Keirsey (how I answered) is that when I once again found the site (and again as an unemployed person using the internet) in October of 2013, in entering my e-mail address I realized I had been there before. I was able to pull up the previous result. Again I answered to yield INFJ as my type. I tried a few other sites. Most if not all yielded INFJ, including Personality Junkie. One did not. It was the Team Technology site out of the UK that offered a different result. My answers were interpreted as a 4-way tie (equal points) but offered in the following order as most likely: INFP, ISFP, INFJ, ISFJ.

I began a more rigorous study of MBTI. One prod was the mixed result assessment. Another was in finding out about MBTI videos available on You Tube. My intro to them was via a linked file on the Keirsey site. That opened my eyes to what was out there on You Tube. The videos I enjoyed the most were posted by pneumoceptor.

Through You Tube I learned about cognitive functions and the 4-function stack model. In trying to figure out my type I especially grappled with coming to understand Thinking is not thinking and that Feeling doesn't mean that I don't think. [Indeed cognition is thinking and, therefore, all of the cognitive functions are thinking.] So after much thought, reading, and watching on the subject I came to believe that INFP is likely my best fit type, and Nardi's keystocognition cognitive-functions driven test strongly supported INFP as the most likely.

·
bleh bleh-BLEH
ur type is my type
6,338 Posts
I'm currently not an INFP and I think I'm more of an ENFP. I believe that most of my traits are introverted but the most important thing is where I get my energy from and I get it from people. Still kind of XNFP and uncertain but I'm leaning towards ENFP.

Kind of just laughing because I looked at my progress reports today for the first semester and literally all my teachers have pointed out, at least the gist of it, INFP-stereotypical things. My science teacher described me as conscientious (the main word that was INFP-y), dedicated, and capable. My English teacher pointed something out as well, which I'll be quoting.

"Her book talk on Alice in Wonderland was superb because she took a refreshing approach by
presenting her*understanding*of*how*the*character,*"Alice",*questions*her*own*morals.*She*used*her*notes
well*and*gave*the*audience*good*eye*contact;*she*also*treated*us*to*her*delightfully*droll*sense*of*humor.
She*is*to*be*commended,*too,*on*the*questions*she*asks*about*other*students’*books.*Her*concerns*about
feelings,*values,*and*identity*help*the*rest*of*us*to*think*about*these*concepts*more*deeply."

And my history teacher proceeded to commend me for my sensitivity to other students and my awareness of social issues/injustices occurring worldwide. Very INFP-ish... though I am an ENFP so. Might just be because I'm shy and extremely self-deprecating in all of my classes. Yeah, but that probably doesn't relate to my extrovertedness so yeah, haha. Sorry for all the "*"'s, by the way. In the middle of the quote from my English teacher. I'm too lazy to fix it but hope it's still easily readable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts