Personality Cafe banner

If you have, please answer by choosing your type below.

• ESFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESTJ

• ENFJ

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • ESFP

• ESTP

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • ENTP

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • ENFP

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • ISTJ

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • INFJ

Votes: 39 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • ISFP

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • ISTP

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • INTP

Votes: 41 18.9%
  • INFP

Votes: 58 26.7%

• Total voters
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
In January my therapy will focus on my mysophobia. I suspect it's related with control, since I have no problems with giving blood but I cannot stand having dirt on my hands even if for few minutes.
I have a little bit of that, obviously related to OCD, but I'm more the other way around - I can stand dirt for a while but I can't give blood because I fear being contaminated by a dirty needle or some other mishap.

I wonder if mysophobia might be a good thing though. Today people live in close proximity to each other in large cities and travel more than ever. If it wasn't for the population growth and the urbanization HIV would probably have stayed more or less in Africa, maybe only part of it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wonder if mysophobia might be a good thing though. Today people live in close proximity to each other in large cities and travel more than ever. If it wasn't for the population growth and the urbanization HIV would probably have stayed more or less in Africa, maybe only part of it.
Well, anxiety disorders often stems from useful personality traits gone bad. The importance put on cleanliness, for example, can degenerate in mysophobia.

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
generalized and social anxiety disorder

when i was 18, i went to see some guy about adhd and like if i had it and about getting diagnosed and stuff. so we're there talking about adhd and whatever, and he was suddenly like "are you nervous right now?" and i was like "uhhh not really? i had a stomach ache driving over here, though," and he's like "uh stomach ache?" and i was like "well yeah because i was nervous" and he was like "of what?" and i was like "oh, you know, just going to a new place and seeing new people. it's not a big deal, it happens all the time at everything. like on the first day of school, or when i have to order food at mcdonalds... you know then i get nervous and my stomach hurts and feels sick," and he was like "um wtf that's not normal" and i was like "oh"

i've been on meds since then, which i'm really glad about. i can actually talk to strangers now without freaking out, which is a really nice thing to be able to do when you're an extrovert. and i still remember when i could finally drive by my old job (where the boss was a dick and yelled at me all the time)(i had that job for six days, and he made me cry at least four times)(seriously he yelled at me for parking on the wrong side of the parking lot once) without panicking and shaking and feeling like i was gonna barf all over the steering wheel. yay milestones! -__-

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
generalized and social anxiety disorder

when i was 18, i went to see some guy about adhd and like if i had it and about getting diagnosed and stuff. so we're there talking about adhd and whatever, and he was suddenly like "are you nervous right now?" and i was like "uhhh not really? i had a stomach ache driving over here, though," and he's like "uh stomach ache?" and i was like "well yeah because i was nervous" and he was like "of what?" and i was like "oh, you know, just going to a new place and seeing new people. it's not a big deal, it happens all the time at everything. like on the first day of school, or when i have to order food at mcdonalds... you know then i get nervous and my stomach hurts and feels sick," and he was like "um wtf that's not normal" and i was like "oh"

i've been on meds since then, which i'm really glad about. i can actually talk to strangers now without freaking out, which is a really nice thing to be able to do when you're an extrovert. and i still remember when i could finally drive by my old job (where the boss was a dick and yelled at me all the time)(i had that job for six days, and he made me cry at least four times)(seriously he yelled at me for parking on the wrong side of the parking lot once) without panicking and shaking and feeling like i was gonna barf all over the steering wheel. yay milestones! -__-
I thought all you ESTPs were tough guys. I get nervous all the time but I guess that's common for a INFPs.

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
I thought all you ESTPs were tough guys.
Usually I am... :unsure: Like, I don't generally see myself as fragile, especially not emotionally fragile, at all. I don't even let my family see me cry if I can help it. I promise, it was completely out of character. I really am tough, I swear. I'm a tough guy. Really I am. :sad:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeees... as a child at least. I had pyrophobia, and then OCD, the wash-their-hands-all-day kind. Pretty impairing. While depression isn't an anxiety disorder, I had some mood disorder in my teens too (that went formally undiagnosed, but was pointed out by a number of GPs). Ah, I'm generally a very anxious person anyway.
Sadly I can't say what type I am yet but I find it ironic that the three types I've considered myself to be have also voted the most. :p

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
No, I've never been diagnosed. Not that I've given any psychologist the chance to do so. A test I took in college said I had social anxiety and I was invited by email to go to the school mental health place, but I didn't because the thought of talking to psychologists about my social anxiety frightened me.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Yeees... as a child at least. I had pyrophobia, and then OCD, the wash-their-hands-all-day kind. Pretty impairing. While depression isn't an anxiety disorder, I had some mood disorder in my teens too (that went formally undiagnosed, but was pointed out by a number of GPs). Ah, I'm generally a very anxious person anyway.
Sadly I can't say what type I am yet but I find it ironic that the three types I've considered myself to be have also voted the most. :p
I think all the I N F and P preferences add to this. There are a fair amount of INTPs in the poll but the MBTI overtypes thinkers in my opinion.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The thing I hate the most about OCD is that I know every single moment how irrational and useless it is, yet it's so difficult to resist it. I hate doing irrational things and, even if it's getting better, when I find myself washing my hands too much or spending all that time on a phrase that just won't get out of my head, I feel so shameful and childish.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
The thing I hate the most about OCD is that I know every single moment how irrational and useless it is, yet it's so difficult to resist it. I hate doing irrational things and, even if it's getting better, when I find myself washing my hands too much or spending all that time on a phrase that just won't get out of my head, I feel so shameful and childish.
I feel that way too. It's distressing when you know you're acting crazy. I can't say I feel childish or ashamed but it freaks me out that I have so little control over my behavior. I'm so glad I only have a mild case of it. Some people have to roll around on the ground outside their house in order to just walk in through the door.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I've not been diagnosed but am pretty certain I have some serious anxiety issues. Some really simple things like calling somebody I don't know (or do know to be perfectly honest), dealing with large social groups, being at the register at work when it gets busy, or just experiencing an unexpected situation, I get paralyzed with anxiety. If it's possible I will just disappear into the background or leave but I try not to do that at work. I am getting a little better at handling it but it does crop up whenever I start feeling out of control or overwhelmed by sensory input.

I have decided that pharmaceuticals are not for me after watching my mother die a horrible death due to overprescription of everything in the book. I self medicate with herb and I use a lot of my alone time for meditation. But I am putting myself out in social situations because I don't want to retreat from the world. I want to learn to handle it better.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I've not been diagnosed but am pretty certain I have some serious anxiety issues. Some really simple things like calling somebody I don't know (or do know to be perfectly honest), dealing with large social groups, being at the register at work when it gets busy, or just experiencing an unexpected situation, I get paralyzed with anxiety. If it's possible I will just disappear into the background or leave but I try not to do that at work. I am getting a little better at handling it but it does crop up whenever I start feeling out of control or overwhelmed by sensory input.

I have decided that pharmaceuticals are not for me after watching my mother die a horrible death due to overprescription of everything in the book. I self medicate with herb and I use a lot of my alone time for meditation. But I am putting myself out in social situations because I don't want to retreat from the world. I want to learn to handle it better.
Sounds like social phobia. I'm not into meds either although in some cases I think it probably for the best. And like I said before, physical exercise is a great way to kill off some of those butterflies in your stomach.

·
Registered
991 Posts
i was diagnosed two years ago with depression and anxiety. the depression was easy to wipe out, and after 1 mishap i was given the correct medication. we've had to raise the dosage once in a while as i've built up immunity, but the amount i have now is pretty solid and the depression itself has not turned up again recently. as for anxiety, i'm fairly certain i've had it for my whole life but i was only just diagnosed for it, and i have emergency medication for anxiety attacks and the depression medication at this dosage can also serve the anxiety disorder.
i think both of them are a lot better today, but i'm still dealing with effects of the social anxiety etc that i'm working to get better with!!

181 - 197 of 197 Posts